The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Change the whole forum appearance

4 posters

Go down

How to Change the whole forum appearance  Empty How to Change the whole forum appearance

Post by Daziedelights December 5th 2011, 10:27 am

Hi all I am not the slightest bit technically minded so I am in need of some basic help. Our forum has been the same style and colour for a couple of years now and we need a change however just the thought of changing it frightens me to death in case I do some thing wrong. We have a phpbb forum with phpBB2 (subsilver) if that makes any sense
My questions are

If I change the skin could I loose everything in and on my forum posts etc?

Is there just a quick simple way of changing it not losing anything and it still looking good.

There is probably a really simple answer lol

thanks in advance
Daziedelights

Language : uk

Back to top Go down

How to Change the whole forum appearance  Empty Re: How to Change the whole forum appearance

Post by FL.ux December 5th 2011, 10:34 am

Well i'm not so good with this things but.. when you change the appearance of your forum, or simply changing the "them" of your forum, the post and your topics won't disappear.. i think it would be better if you export first your current theme/forum appearance to your PC to save it, and you can now change your theme....

If you don't like the new theme or you found something wrong.... you can always "import" your previous theme.. to return it..

Hope i helped! Hello
FL.ux
FL.ux
Forumember

Male Posts : 842
Language : I hope I could be a FM staff :'(

Back to top Go down

How to Change the whole forum appearance  Empty Re: How to Change the whole forum appearance

Post by Guest December 5th 2011, 2:32 pm

So, if you'll change a theme, topics, posts, users, and all database don't disappear, only the design will change. And as said pidot101 you can return to your previous theme. It's simple. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by FL.ux December 5th 2011, 3:34 pm

But sometimes, changing themes can mess up your css stylesheet...

am i right Gassy?

Sometimes it the codes you put in there diappears....

How to Change the whole forum appearance  Mouais
FL.ux
FL.ux
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH December 5th 2011, 3:58 pm

pidot101 wrote:But sometimes, changing themes can mess up your css stylesheet...

am i right Gassy?

I wouldn't say it messes up your css. css codes added during the duration of the current theme, will no longer appear within the new skins css stylesheet. you can always copy the codes prior to switching themes,and paste them in your new skins css. Very Happy

@ gassy .. (reply to your post below)true if he changes versions. nothing mentioned about doing that, just wants a new look is all. True?

Last edited by WHITESABBATH on December 5th 2011, 5:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
WHITESABBATH
WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1198
Language : English, F-Bombs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 5th 2011, 4:24 pm

Yes, you're 100% right, CSS Stylesheet and templates for phpBB2 and PunBB. Wink
WHITESABBATH, you can but the code doesn't work, because the css selectors are different. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by FL.ux December 5th 2011, 4:27 pm

WHITESABBATH wrote:
pidot101 wrote:But sometimes, changing themes can mess up your css stylesheet...

am i right Gassy?

I wouldn't say it messes up your css. css codes added during the duration of the current theme, will no longer appear within the new skins css stylesheet. you can always copy the codes prior to switching themes,and paste them in your new skins css. Very Happy

Yeah! this is what i actually do....

Wink
hope we helped the topic starter....

hey yo, Gassy i have a question...
FL.ux
FL.ux
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Daziedelights December 7th 2011, 11:08 am

I dont think I need to change version, well I hope not, just the look of the whole forum to some thing a little more up to date. I have no idea about css codes, I think I may need to do a little bit of online learning.

Thanks for your help.
Daziedelights

Language : uk

Back to top Go down

Post by chococherry December 7th 2011, 11:56 am

A lovely forum person linked me this website, it has helped me a lot with learning about html / css and the such. Hope it helps you as well Smile

http://www.w3schools.com/
chococherry

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum