The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can you bar certain email domains from registering

+2
Mike
Flappypaddles
6 posters

Go down

Solved can you bar certain email domains from registering

Post by Flappypaddles December 14th 2011, 1:43 am

Is possible to ban specific email domains from registering
I have a troll who keeps registering from a domain and I would like to bar that domain.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Language : english

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: can you bar certain email domains from registering

Post by Mike December 14th 2011, 3:42 am

IP Ban him
Mike
Mike
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 4255
Language : English, HTML, CSS

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 14th 2011, 11:34 am

Flappypaddles wrote:Is possible to ban specific email domains from registering
I have a troll who keeps registering from a domain and I would like to bar that domain.

another possibility but he uses proxies. I just want to stop him from registering with phony email addresss before he joins.
I see there is an option in ban control to ban email addresses and if I put for instance *@xyz.com there would that stop further people registering with the site from that domain. I already barred him once that way and he came back with another dodgy mail site. knowing him from old he will keep doing it, but I would like to use the list of domains to stop others from using them as well in the registration process. the only way I can see to do it now is by setting the reg process to manual where I have to activate each user myself instead of letting them self register.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 14th 2011, 4:21 pm

there is no way to ban a domain,
You would just have to keep banning him, his emails and his ip,
You may want to have it so you activate members or they have to contact you with the information they want to register with and you register them.

You know just until the troll goes away. I am sure if he has to submit everything to a admin first for a admin to register them, they will not stick around very long.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 14th 2011, 4:40 pm

kirk wrote:there is no way to ban a domain,
You would just have to keep banning him, his emails and his ip,
You may want to have it so you activate members or they have to contact you with the information they want to register with and you register them.

You know just until the troll goes away. I am sure if he has to submit everything to a admin first for a admin to register them, they will not stick around very long.

yes I thought that might be the only way to do it, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and do it the hard way.

would it be worth making a suggestion that such a list of email domains was barred during the registration period, or would that be far too involved?
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 14th 2011, 4:46 pm

Well you can ban email addresses.
But you won't be able to ban the whole domain.
I am Mobil right now,but when I get home
Latter I can explain how to do what I call
The dog house method. So I will add that here when I get home latter.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 14th 2011, 5:16 pm

kirk wrote:Well you can ban email addresses.
But you won't be able to ban the whole domain.
I am Mobil right now,but when I get home
Latter I can explain how to do what I call
The dog house method. So I will add that here when I get home latter.

ok thanks
I have been searching the admin panel on how to change it so I have to authorise new users and I just cant find it now. I know I have seen it before but it seems to have just become invisible to my eyes so if any can can point me there I would be obliged.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray December 14th 2011, 6:46 pm

Administration Panel>>Users & Usergroups>>Users>>Users Options

can you bar certain email domains from registering Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51482
Language : English

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 14th 2011, 8:17 pm

slg wrote:Administration Panel>>Users & Usergroups>>Users>>Users Options

thanks for that, I don't know why I could not find it myself, I went through most of the sections looking, sometimes I just guess you can't see the wood for the trees.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy December 14th 2011, 11:49 pm

Hello,

Is this solved?
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 15th 2011, 12:07 am

Jophy wrote:Hello,

Is this solved?

not just yet, I am hoping that Kirk will get back to me and explain his doghouse method.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 15th 2011, 2:11 pm

Oh yeah sorry for the late reply.

Well the dog house method is pretty easy and piratical solution to better help slow down trolls spammers.

This may sound odd but you will no longer have to ban anyone.
I will get to why in a sec.

fist thing you want to do is create a welcome/introduction forum.
This will be a board where all new member must post first and introduce themselves in order to have access to the rest of the forum.

Now create a group called members group.
You will have to move all members you do not have in a group already into the members group, if you have other staff it should not take long to move them. be sure you set the permissions for the members group as you wish for them to have access to the forums.

Now you are going to create a group called the doghouse or whatever else you want to call it, Now you are going to set the groups permissions to view nothing, post nothing basically have no permissions to do anything.

So now when you have new members join the forum, they fist have to post and introduce their self in order to gain access to the rest of the forum.
Once they post, you can now check the ip address, if you have other members that used that ip or any other ip address from a user that have used proxies or whatever, it will show in the list.. so you will see it show in the list of a person that has been a troll or spammer, then you know not to add them to the members group and to add them to the doghouse group.

So now they can not do anything, they are just stuck in this group with no permissions at all, if they re-register, well then they will have to post on the intro board first again, to where you check the ip, if it comes up with someone you already have in the doghouse or was a spammer troll, then bam!!!! you just put the new account in the dog house as well.

And you will check all ip of members as they join and post on the intro board, the ones that check out clean and don't come up and match with other members that are trolls/spammers, then you can add to the members group and grant them access, the ones that don't. right into the doghouse they go.

So the idea is sooner or latter they are going to get sick of trying to get in and will just give up and leave.. Now of course nothing is ever 100% but you want to bet once you get the hang of it and understand how it's working.. it will surely discourage spammers and trolls for even trying to get in to your forum.

And there is no need to ban not even the email because it's already used ?, and it's better that you don't ban this way they will always come up in the list.
(but i am pretty sure even if you did ban to, it would still show in your a members ip list).. and it wont matter if they use proxies or ip changer, you will see when you get someone that is trying to get back in and you already have in the doghouse group.

It might seem like a little work, but it's not really, once you put all the members you have now in a members group, it's not like you will have a zillion people joining at once, and you can check the ip from the introduction board as they join and post..

So that's pretty much it, pretty piratical and has worked for me in the past.
Then even if you do get someone slip through and spam or whatever.. well it will be the last time because you know to put them in the doghouse with no permissions what so ever..

If you have any questions just pm me, but that's pretty much it.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 15th 2011, 7:13 pm

kirk wrote:Oh yeah sorry for the late reply.

Well the dog house method is pretty easy and piratical solution to better help slow down trolls spammers.

This may sound odd but you will no longer have to ban anyone.
I will get to why in a sec.

fist thing you want to do is create a welcome/introduction forum.
This will be a board where all new member must post first and introduce themselves in order to have access to the rest of the forum.

Now create a group called members group.
You will have to move all members you do not have in a group already into the members group, if you have other staff it should not take long to move them. be sure you set the permissions for the members group as you wish for them to have access to the forums.

Now you are going to create a group called the doghouse or whatever else you want to call it, Now you are going to set the groups permissions to view nothing, post nothing basically have no permissions to do anything.

So now when you have new members join the forum, they fist have to post and introduce their self in order to gain access to the rest of the forum.
Once they post, you can now check the ip address, if you have other members that used that ip or any other ip address from a user that have used proxies or whatever, it will show in the list.. so you will see it show in the list of a person that has been a troll or spammer, then you know not to add them to the members group and to add them to the doghouse group.

So now they can not do anything, they are just stuck in this group with no permissions at all, if they re-register, well then they will have to post on the intro board first again, to where you check the ip, if it comes up with someone you already have in the doghouse or was a spammer troll, then bam!!!! you just put the new account in the dog house as well.

And you will check all ip of members as they join and post on the intro board, the ones that check out clean and don't come up and match with other members that are trolls/spammers, then you can add to the members group and grant them access, the ones that don't. right into the doghouse they go.

So the idea is sooner or latter they are going to get sick of trying to get in and will just give up and leave.. Now of course nothing is ever 100% but you want to bet once you get the hang of it and understand how it's working.. it will surely discourage spammers and trolls for even trying to get in to your forum.

And there is no need to ban not even the email because it's already used ?, and it's better that you don't ban this way they will always come up in the list.
(but i am pretty sure even if you did ban to, it would still show in your a members ip list).. and it wont matter if they use proxies or ip changer, you will see when you get someone that is trying to get back in and you already have in the doghouse group.

It might seem like a little work, but it's not really, once you put all the members you have now in a members group, it's not like you will have a zillion people joining at once, and you can check the ip from the introduction board as they join and post..

So that's pretty much it, pretty piratical and has worked for me in the past.
Then even if you do get someone slip through and spam or whatever.. well it will be the last time because you know to put them in the doghouse with no permissions what so ever..

If you have any questions just pm me, but that's pretty much it.

thanks kirk,
thankfully there are not too many members at the moment so it shouldn't be too much work.
I will have to copy and paste this somewhere safe

cheers again
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket December 15th 2011, 7:42 pm

Solved?
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 15th 2011, 11:50 pm

Sanket wrote:Solved?

more or less
although is it possible to set the forum permissions on for guests but off for members? Odd I know, but I allow guests to post in one section and it makes the doghouse option have a small hole in that they can still post in the guest section.
I would prefer not to have to stop them posting there as it seems to be popular.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket December 16th 2011, 6:05 am

General>Categories and Forums
Click on a forum name
Permissions tab
Change them as you like Smile
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 16th 2011, 6:12 am

Well we have spoken through pm so this thread should be pretty much solved.
We can let Flappypaddles reply one more time to be sure Smile
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 16th 2011, 11:02 am

kirk wrote:Well we have spoken through pm so this thread should be pretty much solved.
We can let Flappypaddles reply one more time to be sure Smile

no go on you can close it
thanks for all your help
FP
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket December 16th 2011, 6:53 pm