The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can you restrict troublesome users from creating topics

2 posters

Go down

can you restrict troublesome users from creating topics Empty can you restrict troublesome users from creating topics

Post by Flappypaddles December 14th 2011, 4:45 pm

Is it possible to restrict the permissions of a member by adding them to a special group along the lines of a time out. Rather than having to ban them outright.
I would like to be able to restrict them to viewing and only posting replies in certain sections and not allow them to create threads.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Language : english

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

can you restrict troublesome users from creating topics Empty Re: can you restrict troublesome users from creating topics

Post by kirk December 14th 2011, 4:51 pm

Yes if you put them in their own hidden group
And set all the form permissions as you see fit for
That group.other then that you can just set the permissions as you
See fit for other groups,and have them and or others all in the same group
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

can you restrict troublesome users from creating topics Empty Re: can you restrict troublesome users from creating topics

Post by Flappypaddles December 14th 2011, 5:58 pm

kirk wrote:Yes if you put them in their own hidden group
And set all the form permissions as you see fit for
That group.other then that you can just set the permissions as you
See fit for other groups,and have them and or others all in the same group

so I set up a user group and add them to it, would I need to be the moderator?
I have tried that and it does not seem to work.
I am not sure how I change the groups permissions on all the other sections without deactivating the members in general as until the members are unchecked, all other options for groups are greyed out.
Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk December 16th 2011, 8:39 am

when you create a group, you will see the group come up in the forums permissions, so you have to set the permissions for each forum as you wish one at a time for that group and forums

You will have to explain this or provide a screen shot. not sure what you mean?
all other options for groups are grayed out.

Also it has nothing to do with being a moderator, only a admin has access to the admin panel.
So i am not sure what you mean by that either?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Flappypaddles December 16th 2011, 11:11 am

kirk wrote:when you create a group, you will see the group come up in the forums permissions, so you have to set the permissions for each forum as you wish one at a time for that group and forums

You will have to explain this or provide a screen shot. not sure what you mean?
all other options for groups are grayed out.

Also it has nothing to do with being a moderator, only a admin has access to the admin panel.
So i am not sure what you mean by that either?

sorry, I mean in the forum permissions you have the opions for guest and members access and below them all the different groups.
With the dog house option you explained you have to uncheck guest and member and assign the privileges from the groups as you wish. You can enable the members check box on its own, but you cannot enable the guest check box without enabling the members check box. I was wondering if there is any way to just enable guest option on their own.

I have a section on my forum where guests can post, the topics are deleted after a day or so, but it lets them ask questions before they sign up. If someone is in the doghouse it would let them post as I have to have members and guest check boxes enabled to let guest posts. I am probably the only person that does this so it has never come up before.

Flappypaddles
Flappypaddles
Forumember

Back to top Go down