The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I restrict, hide, secure my forum from non admins or mods?

4 posters

Go down

Can I restrict, hide, secure my forum from non admins or mods? Empty Can I restrict, hide, secure my forum from non admins or mods?

Post by jabak3 December 19th 2011, 6:21 am

I have Created a new Forum using Forumotion.

Phbb2 template chosen.

The forum is for family members only as it will contain private information that may only be viewed by Me, Mother, Father.

The topic is their new phones. It is too hard for me to talk out everything about using android and answer their questions or teach them certain things.

So to make it easier I want a forum to include sections for each person that will include Private information such as
Phone Information/Numbers
Account Usernames/Passwords
Contacts
Calender Events
ETC.

So as I said before I need to have a completely secure forum.

Permissions such as:
Viewing - Admin/Mod
Posting - Admin/Mod
New User Creation - Disabled
Search Results including Site Address/Links : Disabled/Non Searchable/Non Viewable

That kind of setup.

So is it possible for The Entire Forum and its tabs (Portal, pages etc.) To be completely Secure/Hidden/Private to anyone other than Me, father, mother.

If not how secure can it be? Do any other Free Forum sites allow this.

Google's Groups/Sites are not that great. No support. Help Forum is Left for dead by Google and questions never answered much less the whole support site/forum is never seen by anyone in Google's employees. The do allow Secure/Hidden Groups for minimal access. Options for me to add only who I choose. However the posts are like their emails. Non editable and no sub categories/forum areas can be created.

What can I do or How can I make my forum secure?
jabak3

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Can I restrict, hide, secure my forum from non admins or mods? Empty Re: Can I restrict, hide, secure my forum from non admins or mods?

Post by Musubi December 19th 2011, 6:24 am

So....Basically you just want guests to not be able to view the forum? (trying to understand a little more, sorry Razz)
Musubi
Musubi
Forumember

Male Posts : 75

Back to top Go down

Can I restrict, hide, secure my forum from non admins or mods? Empty Re: Can I restrict, hide, secure my forum from non admins or mods?

Post by jabak3 December 19th 2011, 6:31 am

Exactly

Basically

Viewable by only Me my mother and father.

I don't want Search results to show the website.

No new Accounts

And only I can add/Delete users.

Complete Private/Hidden.

Is this possible?
jabak3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket December 19th 2011, 6:49 am

General>Categories and Forums
Click on a forum name
Permissions tab.
Uncheck it all for guests.

Users & groups>Users Options
Allow new members :No
Save
This way no new member will be able to register.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by jabak3 December 19th 2011, 6:52 am

Thanks,

But will I have to change each new thread permissions or will this make it unviewable to everyone.

As I said it is going to have personal info so I can't let it be accessed.
jabak3

Back to top Go down

Post by Musubi December 19th 2011, 7:09 am

jabak3 wrote:Thanks,

But will I have to change each new thread permissions or will this make it unviewable to everyone.

As I said it is going to have personal info so I can't let it be accessed.

You'll have to change the thread permissions to not be viewable by guests.
Musubi
Musubi
Forumember

Male Posts : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by jabak3 December 19th 2011, 8:43 am

Ok I made the changes and checked to make sure by using a second computer. Guests may only see the login and when they attempt to register it is denied stating that only the admin can do so.

Now I am going to be creating a Home page using Portal. Will this be hidden as well or do I have to make changes.

And Finally what settings do I change for My site to not show up in search results. I changed or checked some settings but I want to be sure.

Thanks for the help. You replied instantly. No other site that I have asked a question on for anything has been that fast.
jabak3

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray December 19th 2011, 8:56 am

Search Engines

Administration Panel>>General>>Forum Promotion>>Search Engines

If you have it where guests can not view the forum, it will not be able to be scanned by search engines.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51482

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest December 19th 2011, 2:22 pm

jabak3 wrote:Now I am going to be creating a Home page using Portal. Will this be hidden as well or do I have to make changes.
As I know no. Wink

jabak3 wrote:And Finally what settings do I change for My site to not show up in search results. I changed or checked some settings but I want to be sure.
Also, as said Sanket, uncheck all the permissions for the guests. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by jabak3 December 20th 2011, 2:18 am

Thanks for the help guys.

Last question and I should be set. Kind of off topic but is there a mobile app for my forum for phones.

Virgin Mobile
Optimus V
VM670
Android 2.2.2

We have 3 and they are the reason I wanted the forum. So I could help them learn about there new phones and how to use them. It would be great if they can view the forum from this type of phone. All other phones are not required.
jabak3

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray December 20th 2011, 3:35 am

Can I restrict, hide, secure my forum from non admins or mods? Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51482

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down