The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ip banning issues

+6
Darren1
ProphecyCSS
beta
SLGray
MrMario
Star Striker
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Solved ip banning issues

Post by Star Striker January 29th 2012, 4:14 pm

First topic message reminder :

There was an unknown guest that hacked the forum i created : http://tech-steel-gamers.userboard.net

the guest went into the portal which is restricted to members, moderators and administrators, the guest was staying in there and is believed to be logging conversions with me and a member

because he was a guest i could only ip ban him.

i banned his ip address several times

the first time i banned him he changed his ip address

the second time i ip banned him he copied a members ip address so i had no choice but to ban him and the member

there is no way to report his isp or ban his mac address so there is no way i can prevent him from coming back

i have all the ips logged, and a witness

i fear that he may come back and pose a severe security risk to the community there.

can somebody please help me on this, thank you

Last edited by The Godfather on February 8th 2012, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more explicit title)
Star Striker

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: ip banning issues

Post by Darren1 February 3rd 2012, 7:20 am

Hi,

The answer to your questions:

No - you cannot stop someone from changing their IP, thus they cannot be prevented from accessing your forum.
Sure, it's possible to block certain proxies, but that code hasn't been proven, and I don't know exactly where it is.

YES it is possible to report someone's TRUE Internet Protocol Address to their TRUE ISP - but you need to know your legal jargon, and know how to follow these IP's, and a massive line of work - basically, you need ALOT of work, and generally you will need the assistance of the FBI (For the American's) or the equivalent for your country.
If you are American, and this alleged 'hacker' is also in America, then you have a 10% chance of having him removed from his current ISP, and black listed from all other ISP's, world wide. But IF he is caught, the law won't be able to prosecute him for more then 5 years of jail time - maybe if your lucky, community service time. The Law hasn't caught up to modern internet times, and wont for another Generation, or 2.

There is no easy solution to get rid of him.
You can instead, REMOVE the widget, and move the code into a topic instead.

If he continues to appear in the chatbox, then what he's doing is -
He's found the URL of the thread (and if not registered, looking at a page requesting him to login or register to view that thread) and another tab in his browser, which has the code (which you have posted above) in his own site, and watching from there.
If this is the case, I'd highly recommend that you get a new code from the supplier.

If he doesn't re-appear in the chatbox - problem solved, I believe.

I would of thought that someone who's a CCNA Technician would've thought that this person may have a Dynamic Modem, instead of a static one Shocked

I hope this has helped you Wink
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Striker February 5th 2012, 2:32 pm

ProphecyCSS wrote:This hacker is looking for something if he just there im sorry but what i would do is change my forum address and pm the people u know the real address

not a full proof solution, and i want the ip ban function TO ACTUALLY WORK bwi

he can find me from the forum directory, and that is most likely how he became a problem in the first place....

i want a simple fullproof alternative solution to a mac address ban or report to isp, since forumotion's ip banning feature is flawed

MrMario wrote:Please don't post IP in public! If this person was a hacker don't you think he or she would be taking your forum over and destroying it?

I bet this so called hacker (from what you say) has the url of the chatbox and able to login to the chat without using logging into the forum because guest has the url and can paste it in their browser.

Also if guest hasn't done anything harmful to forum, then why worry? You're worrying for something that is just nonsence.

you don't have any evidence, nor have you done any research into my issue here, so i would advise to keep your comments to yourself unless your going to help me Smile

why? well your wasting breath, and time,,,,,,

beta wrote:maybe try the htaccess tool. http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/htaccess-generator.shtml

use this code (depending on what his I.P has been in the past)

Order allow, deny
Deny from 192.168.0.10
Deny from 212.155.
Deny from 1.2.3.4 5.6.7.8 127.0.0.1
Allow from all

The first line “Order allow, deny” tells the web server the “Order” in which the Allow and Deny directive will be evaluated. It simply says: Give access to all hosts that are not present in the Deny from list and are present in the Allow from list. With allow, deny order Allow list is looked up first and then the web server checks the deny from list. So as we have allow from all – all access is allowed. Then the allowed access is filtered based on the Deny lists. With allow,deny access is disabled by default.

If we change the order to “deny, allow” then all access is enabled by default and only users in the deny lists are blocked. However as the deny is being processed first allow directives will override any maching settings set in deny directives.

The default Apache order is deny,allow. So you can skip the first line in your .htaccess file if you do not need to change the order in which the Deny and Allow rules are being evaluated by the web server.

So to keep the htaccess simple you can just use:

Deny from 192.168.0.10
Deny from 212.155.

You can put several IP address in a Deny or Allow rule. For example:

Deny from 1.2.3.4 5.6.7.9

The IP addresses must be separated by a space or tab.

You can put entire networks as

Deny from 212.155.

This will block all users which IP addresses start with 212.155

Or to block all access to your site:

Deny from all

And then add another line to enable access only for yourself:

Allow from 1.2.3.4

Where “1.2.3.4” should be replaced with your computer IP address and add in the other users.

after researching this solution i found that it just isn't effective enough

i also upgraded my chat widget, which it now has full ban and lockdown functions removing the need for ip banning my widget

i also would like to mention that this is not a widget issue, the hacker goes to my forum index, into people profiles

this will not fix that, therefore not a solution to the Whole problem

Darren1 wrote:Hi,

The answer to your questions:

No - you cannot stop someone from changing their IP, thus they cannot be prevented from accessing your forum.
Sure, it's possible to block certain proxies, but that code hasn't been proven, and I don't know exactly where it is.

YES it is possible to report someone's TRUE Internet Protocol Address to their TRUE ISP - but you need to know your legal jargon, and know how to follow these IP's, and a massive line of work - basically, you need ALOT of work, and generally you will need the assistance of the FBI (For the American's) or the equivalent for your country.
If you are American, and this alleged 'hacker' is also in America, then you have a 10% chance of having him removed from his current ISP, and black listed from all other ISP's, world wide. But IF he is caught, the law won't be able to prosecute him for more then 5 years of jail time - maybe if your lucky, community service time. The Law hasn't caught up to modern internet times, and wont for another Generation, or 2.

There is no easy solution to get rid of him.
You can instead, REMOVE the widget, and move the code into a topic instead.

If he continues to appear in the chatbox, then what he's doing is -
He's found the URL of the thread (and if not registered, looking at a page requesting him to login or register to view that thread) and another tab in his browser, which has the code (which you have posted above) in his own site, and watching from there.
If this is the case, I'd highly recommend that you get a new code from the supplier.

If he doesn't re-appear in the chatbox - problem solved, I believe.

I would of thought that someone who's a CCNA Technician would've thought that this person may have a Dynamic Modem, instead of a static one Shocked

I hope this has helped you Wink

finally somebody with a great answer

he's not just in the chatboxes he goes to many parts of the forum, he goes to the index, he goes to the portal, he goes to profiles, and i haven't seen him anywhere else

because of the widget being insecure i upgraded with a far more secured one.

he is no longer a threat for that,

still he can EVEN bypass site management and go anywhere on the forums.

i have been keeping him at bay by constant ip banning and monitoring.

i asked questions about how to deal with this because of the difficulty of reporting him to isp and tracking him

thank you very much for your help, i wish you posted this sooner.

---------------------

and yes Smile i am a little rusty with CCNA Wink its time to go back to school again Smile Neutral Neutral
Star Striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ February 5th 2012, 2:55 pm

Hey,

A good tip from me.

Change the account activation: Admistrator has to activate the account rather then the user or automatically.
Sir Chivas™
Sir Chivas™
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 6965
Language : EN, FR, ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Striker February 5th 2012, 4:33 pm

Sir Chivas wrote:Hey,

A good tip from me.

Change the account activation: Admistrator has to activate the account rather then the user or automatically.

yes, thanks for the tip

i already have that setup

that's why guests attack me, and not users WinkWink
Star Striker

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario February 6th 2012, 2:06 am

you don't have any evidence, nor have you done any research into my issue here, so i would advise to keep your comments to yourself unless your going to help me

Don't need to be rude here.

MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggalo™Killa February 6th 2012, 2:11 am

Just ignore it for now, everyone gives up some time so keep your conversation in the chat light and they will soon get bored and leave.
Juggalo™Killa
Juggalo™Killa
Forumember

Language : english

http://psvmods.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakeb February 7th 2012, 8:19 pm

Juggalo™Killa wrote:Just ignore it for now, everyone gives up some time so keep your conversation in the chat light and they will soon get bored and leave.

I agree, If you just ignore this person he will get bored and find something else to do.
Jakeb
Jakeb
Forumember

Male Posts : 93

http://helpwithanything.your-talk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Striker February 8th 2012, 6:29 pm

MrMario wrote:
you don't have any evidence, nor have you done any research into my issue here, so i would advise to keep your comments to yourself unless your going to help me

Don't need to be rude here.

i apologize for being rude and impatient, i was just extremely frustrated with this hacker.

i have spent a long time trying to make a free site that doesn't involve being screwed over in some way and having to rebuild it all over again

this happened two times already and i have just spent way to much time to let some stupid hacker RUIN IT FOR THE THIRD TIME AND HAVE TO REBUILD ALL OVER AGAIN!

no hard feelings mr mario

Juggalo™️Killa wrote:Just ignore it for now, everyone gives up some time so keep your conversation in the chat light and they will soon get bored and leave.

that's what i have been doing and will continue to do

i don't have much of a better option anyways

i thank you all for the help, i greatly appreciate it Very Happy
Star Striker

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy February 9th 2012, 5:36 pm

Topic Solved & Moved

Note: You can also help the staff member's work by EDITING your topic and marking it as solved.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2