The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Hacked or something freaky is going on?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Hacked or something freaky is going on?

Post by Shadowsgirl on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Sooo I'm pulling up firefox before lecture to check my email and accidently load my forum, Hedgehog's Haven and to my surprise...it's been....pony-fied. Complete with creeeeepy bloodsoaked pony and everything. And that song in the background..."Dicky Rude by Southern Playas" according to a friend. I'm like, WTF!? I know I didn't do it. There's not much activity on the site these days, and the last thing I did as an admin was "close" it off to take part in the Anti-SOPA blackout on Jan. 18th.
I cannot log in, because the screwed up images block the login boxes where I type stuff. Even if someone managed to replace the pics as a joke, surely that wouldn't screw up the whole forum layout...but there's not even a forum now. Or a chatbox or anything!
The only other clue that some friends and I can think of is the fact that on top of all the pony stuff, the signature "~Xana" in large grey letters. I'm pretty sure someone's trying to mess with us based on that name alone. XANA is a character from the anime Code Lyoko, a sentiant, diabolical virus living within a supercomputer that wants to wipe out the human population in that series. It frequently makes computer-based attacks so in some way it makes sense that whoever is doing this chose that alias...
So can someone help?

I completely forgot I'd gotten a screenshot of what I and several other people have seen on the site. Here: http://i42.tinypic.com/3480y7o.jpg

Last edited by Sanket on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the screenshot.)

Shadowsgirl

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Hacked or something freaky is going on?

Post by Base on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi, it sounds to me that you've been hacked. I recommend that you use the utilities here: http://www.forumotion.com/en/utils/ and try to restore the forum to a previous state.

Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowsgirl on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:13 pm

I managed to gain direct access to the admin panel and there is a user "Dinkey Ride" who managed to get in and start screwing things up starting a little after 10 pm CST on Friday, February 3rd. They deleted ALL forums all topics all groups...banned my username... ....and we never had a member by this name before.

I just checked the profile, and the email looks like it could belong to a member/owner of another forum that we had issues with in the past. But the last few times I'd spoken with him after a long silence, it was friendly and the hatchet was buried. It COULD be someone who knows the history and is trying to frame him because if I remember right the email should be a yahoo one not an aol one.

Okay...upon further investigation...the admin in question just got bored of the site, and gave his account away to someone else and forgot to mention it. So now I don't know WHO is behind all this...though they clearly like ponies and possibly code lyoko.... I do have an IP address for the person who made the changes.

Last edited by Shadowsgirl on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info found.)

Shadowsgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:03 am

Ban the ip address and take anyone out of admin you think may be corrupting the site.
Chceck your security logs.

Other then tha tyou can restore your forum back a week or so ago to get things back to norm.
You will lose some of the latest topics posted, But at least you can get everything back up to par.

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowsgirl on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:25 am

Thank you. I was able to get everything sorted out. And found out more info about what happened. Apparently the old admin gave his account away without telling us, then the person who had his account decided to screw with the forum since there's not too much activity. Well, at least it wasn't hacked but I'm still cheesed off at him for not telling us. He got yelled at by 4 different people for what he did and the problem account is now stripped of admin status and IP blocked.
Again, thank you for the help.

Shadowsgirl

Back to top Go down

Post by ProphecyCSS on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:54 am

Topic Solved

ProphecyCSS
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:07 am

Topic Solved & Locked

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum