The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Domain update question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In progress Domain update question

Post by Toot on February 7th 2012, 1:57 am

Sorry I had one more question....How long does forumotion take to update a domain on your forum after you have applied for a personalized domain through the admin panel? I have a personalized domain name now...but I dont want to have the default domain showing very long after I delete my current personalized domain and add another one via the admin panel.

Toot

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Domain update question

Post by Stovepipe on February 7th 2012, 2:30 am

I'm the other admin at this forum. My biggest concern is getting the old name forwarded to the new name. People that have the old one bookmarked will not be able to access the site if they aren't aware of the change.

Please tell me there is a way to have the old (current) domain name to forward to the new domain name for a period.

Edit: To clarify, we currently have tootsweatherspot.com and would like to buy tnweatherspot.com.

Thanks.

Stovepipe

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario on February 7th 2012, 2:56 am

@Toot wrote:Sorry I had one more question....How long does forumotion take to update a domain on your forum after you have applied for a personalized domain through the admin panel? I have a personalized domain name now...but I dont want to have the default domain showing very long after I delete my current personalized domain and add another one via the admin panel.

Hi,

1 to 2 business days during weekdays and 3 to 5 for weekends.

@Stovepipe wrote:I'm the other admin at this forum. My biggest concern is getting the old name forwarded to the new name. People that have the old one bookmarked will not be able to access the site if they aren't aware of the change.

Please tell me there is a way to have the old (current) domain name to forward to the new domain name for a period.

Edit: To clarify, we currently have tootsweatherspot.com and would like to buy tnweatherspot.com.

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry no way of forwarding a domain to another after deleting one. You must let users know.

MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

http://test.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toot on February 8th 2012, 1:17 am

Thanks Mr Mario...I have deleted my old personalized domain and applied for the new one through the admin panel. The old domain was bought for a year and since I bought it through the admin panel I assume somebody at forumotion has access to that domain name which was still valid for 300 more days.

I guess what im getting at is why cant forumotion redirect my old personalized domain to my default and new domain once it takes hold?

Its obvious that the old personalized domain is still attached to forumotion because it takes you to a forumotion site.

Toot

Back to top Go down

Post by Toot on February 8th 2012, 1:31 am

Rideem3 wrote:Because once you cancel the domain, you no longer have ownership over it. So, your domain won't redirect to your new site because that would be like owning two domains when now, you only own one. Wink

lol....Im not very savy when it comes to domains and such...for future reference is it possible to own two domains that both lead to my forum?

Toot

Back to top Go down

Post by tropicalfishni on February 8th 2012, 2:03 am

my domain was directed no problems just takes you to know of how to do it quite easy

tropicalfishni

Language : english

http://tropicalfishni.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stovepipe on February 8th 2012, 3:35 am

Well would you mind sharing the information on how to do that?

So let me make sure I'm understanding this. We paid for the first domain name through you guys. We "deleted" it, and bought another one. We no longer own the first one apparently. Who owns it? Does it go back into the public domain? Does Forumotion own it? If you don't own it, in theory we could buy it back from GoDaddy and setup domain forwarding on it to point to our new address. But that would be kind of ridiculous.

Please help me understand more clearly what is going on.

Thanks!

Stovepipe

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum