The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Users having problems creating accounts on my forums.

+2
Darren1
ronjambo
6 posters

Go down

In progress Users having problems creating accounts on my forums.

Post by ronjambo February 18th 2012, 10:35 pm

Hello

alot of my forums users have been getting problems when trying to create accounts.

first off, the captcha confirmation code was causing people problems,
they would fill out the register form, and click next
it then asks to confirm password and fill in the captcha confirmation code

some users where having problems at this step and they said it was giving the warning that their password was not strong enough (password rating weak medium strong) but no matter what they did or how strong they made their passwords the warning was the same

i thought this may have been due to their web brousers security levels over cookies, but i could not be sure and i had to dissable the captcha confirmation, after doing so the users had no problems making an account

this sounds weard because captcha does have nothing to do with the strenght of passwords.

Ok next the activation email, alot of members are just not getting the activation email at all... i asked them to check their spam filters and junk box and they said there was no email at all
so i tryed to turn this security step off also, but then noone could register at all and even i could not make a new account.

i have had to manualy activate many accounts now and i have only had this forum open since the start of this month.

i checked on an old forum i used to have for a private server i ran, to see if the same problems where occuring there
there was about 70 registered users and the inactive users there was over 150, so i guess this is a problem with forumotions register form, and without an admin telling me more then all i can do is make this post and hope someone can help me

so please help
or update the register process on the forums
thank you.

if you need to know the address of my forums then i will post them but i am not sure if its against the rules to do so and dont want to be told off for advertising

Last edited by ronjambo on February 18th 2012, 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronjambo
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Users having problems creating accounts on my forums.

Post by Darren1 February 18th 2012, 10:59 pm

Hi,

This is certainly odd, I haven't heard of such a thing in my time here.

To the issue, yes you are permitted to post your URL, and in this situation, could we please have your URL?

Do you mind if I register to verify this, ofcause, being I can verify, I wont be able to register, right.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by ronjambo February 18th 2012, 11:33 pm

ok the old forum i have that is no longer used, had over 150 inactive users that had not activated their accounts from the email link you can find that at
http://coolkal.great-forum.com
i did activate those accounts when i saw them

and my new forum is for my world of warcraft guild you can find it at
http://highmercenaries.com
or
http://forum.highmercenaries.com
or
http://highmercenaries.pro-forum.co.uk

i direct people to highmercenaries.com for it
thank you

you can make as many accounts as you like to test these problems out
ronjambo
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 February 18th 2012, 11:39 pm

So the issue is at the new forum,, which is any of the 3 last links, correct?

I've just registered under the name 'Darren1' without a single hiccup, can you confirm I'm on your inactive list please?
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by ronjambo February 18th 2012, 11:49 pm

well i think the problem was on the last forum aswell as the new forum

yes you are on the "inactive" users list of the highmercenaries forum

i would turn off the email verification process happily but then i think the problem with the password and captcha confirmation is that..
because you go to the next page before confirming the password
if the user had their security levels set to "high block all cookies"
then the cookie would not remember their password from the first step of creating the account, and so it would say that their password was too weak

if the form could be changed so that users should confirm their password and confirm the captcha code on the 1st page of account creation then my troubles would be over.

Edit: i do not know what email thing the problem users use, so i dont know if the email is just being blocked by default for them
ronjambo
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 February 18th 2012, 11:54 pm

Unfortunately, I couldn't verify any of the issues - I didn't see the capatcha so I cant deny that as well.
Ill see if I can get someone else to check this.

Sadly, you cannot modify the order of the default registration page TT
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by ronjambo February 19th 2012, 12:14 am

you did not see the captcha because i dissabled it, i can turn it back on if you need, but then like i said i think the problem is that when people have the security over cookies set to high / block, then they can not make an account just because the form is in 2 pages, if it was in 1 page then there would be no problem here even if they was blocking the cookies

but the email verifications getting trapped by spam filters is a very high number,, infact i have to manualy activate more accounts than not.

ronjambo
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by ronjambo February 19th 2012, 12:19 am

i would like to have the captcha confirmation code switched on all the time to protect my forum from bots but then anyone who has high security on their web brouser cant register (and obveously they do not want to lower their security)
the majority of people who will be making an account on my forum will be very worried about security because they fear their wow accounts being hacked.

if i turn off the email verification, i found it was causing me problems making an account, and i do not want to turn off both of these anti bot security features

sorry for the double post
ronjambo
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray February 19th 2012, 12:22 am

ronjambo:
Please don't double/triple post. Your post need to be separated by 24 hours before bumping, replying or adding more information. Please use the edit button instead!

Users having problems creating accounts on my forums. Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51482

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by advantage February 20th 2012, 7:51 am

i am admin of my forum,but when i want to write a pm to other member profile err (you are not allowed.....)
advantage
advantage
Forumember

Male Posts : 125

http://gsmforum.online-talk.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape February 20th 2012, 4:18 pm

ronjambo wrote:Hello

Ok next the activation email, alot of members are just not getting the activation email at all... i asked them to check their spam filters and junk box and they said there was no email at all
so i tryed to turn this security step off also, but then noone could register at all and even i could not make a new account.

i have had to manualy activate many accounts now and i have only had this forum open since the start of this month.

i checked on an old forum i used to have for a private server i ran, to see if the same problems where occuring there
there was about 70 registered users and the inactive users there was over 150, so i guess this is a problem with forumotions register form, and without an admin telling me more then all i can do is make this post and hope someone can help me

so please help
thank you.

if you need to know the address of my forums then i will post them but i am not sure if its against the rules to do so and dont want to be told off for advertising

I am also having this problem and so is a lot more others too.
I did a test on my forum the other day i set up 15 accounts all with the same Email address and only One Email was ever sent to me. it's been 2 or 3 days now and still not ever got them Emails that should have been sent.

This has been a big problem for a long time now and really should be fixed it really don't look good when some one wants to make an account with us and they Don't even get the Email in the first place. Bad start to the site if you ask me. most members would not want to come back if they cant even log on at the time of making the account. i have now removed the accounts i made to test this and think the tech's should get this fixed.

anyhow as for the other problem i have not ever had that problem so can't help on that one sorry.
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 19110
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow February 20th 2012, 4:36 pm

APE wrote:
ronjambo wrote:Hello

so please help
thank you.

I am also having this problem and so is a lot more others too.
I did a test on my forum the other day i set up 15 accounts all with the same Email address and only One Email was ever sent to me. it's been 2 or 3 days now and still not ever got them Emails that should have been sent.

This has been a big problem for a long time now and really should be fixed it really don't look good when some one wants to make an account with us and they Don't even get the Email in the first place. Bad start to the site if you ask me. most members would not want to come back if they cant even log on at the time of making the account. i have now removed the accounts i made to test this and think the tech's should get this fixed.

anyhow as for the other problem i have not ever had that problem so can't help on that one sorry.

Hello,

15 times with the same email address ? That's absolutely normal to have received only one mail back Smile
Anyway, can you please provide your forum's URL ?

ronjambo wrote:i would like to have the captcha confirmation code switched on all the time to protect my forum from bots but then anyone who has high security on their web brouser cant register (and obveously they do not want to lower their security)
the majority of people who will be making an account on my forum will be very worried about security because they fear their wow accounts being hacked.

if i turn off the email verification, i found it was causing me problems making an account, and i do not want to turn off both of these anti bot security features

sorry for the double post

Hello !!

I checked too and I didn't found any problem. The error message is still the same for all the users ? (password wasn't strong enough)

advantage wrote:i am admin of my forum,but when i want to write a pm to other member profile err (you are not allowed.....)

Can you please open a new topic for this issue.

Thanks Smile

Last edited by Leeloo on February 20th 2012, 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape February 20th 2012, 5:00 pm

Hi leeloo my url is on my profile but happy to post it http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/forum
i removed each account and made it again to test it and still only one account was sent. each account had a new name. it always had this problem and 3 or more of my friends also did not get there Email so i had to ok them in the admin page.

Users having problems creating accounts on my forums. Left1212Users having problems creating accounts on my forums. Center11Users having problems creating accounts on my forums. Right112
Users having problems creating accounts on my forums. Ape_b110
Users having problems creating accounts on my forums. Ape1010
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow February 20th 2012, 5:09 pm

APE wrote:Hi leeloo my url is on my profile but happy to post it http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/forum
i removed each account and made it again to test it and still only one account was sent. each account had a new name. it always had this problem and 3 or more of my friends also did not get there Email so i had to ok them in the admin page.

I've just tried to register and I've received the confirmation email mwii

So it seems to be more related to the email address of your friends than your forum. Don't hesitate to contact me the next time you face this issue and we'll see it together Wink
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by Ape February 20th 2012, 5:13 pm

Leeloo wrote:
APE wrote:Hi leeloo my url is on my profile but happy to post it http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/forum

So it seems to be more related to the email address of your friends than your forum. Don't hesitate to contact me the next time you face this issue and we'll see it together Wink
Thank you Leeloo for your help Wink
if i get this problem again i will let you know

~Ape~
Ape
Ape
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ronjambo February 21st 2012, 9:16 pm

Leeloo wrote:

yes the problem is to do with the users email address / email client / email spam filters / something
i am sure the forum is sending out the emails but they are not being recieved,
is it possible to make them go out from a different email address ??
because most noreply@suchandsuch.whatever style address's do get blocked by default

and what i was trying to say is that if the register form was all in one page,
as it is on every other web service i have ever encountered,
then there would not be a cookie problem and then...
i could just have the captcha confirmation turned on and email verification turned off

is there any chance at all of getting the admins to edit the register form so that it is all in one page??

thanks from ron
ronjambo
Forumember

Back to top Go down