The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats

5 posters

Go down

Website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats  Empty Website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats

Post by tom2day Fri 9 Mar - 18:55

It has come to my attention that when trying to open up my forum site in IE the following warning is displayed.

This website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information
This website has been reported to contain the following threats:

Malicious software threat: This site contains links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons.

Obviously this is not good, any suggestions folks.
The site is albernitalk.com
As far as I know there aren't any alerts with other browsers and Google Webmaster tools shows no problems.
tom2day
Forumember

Male Posts : 29
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats  Empty Re: Website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats

Post by MrMario Sat 10 Mar - 11:24

Hello,

What have you recently installed on your forum? Any smiles, JavaScript or pictures?
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 22186
Language : test

Back to top Go down

Website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats  Empty Re: Website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats

Post by tom2day Sat 10 Mar - 20:14

Most recently some off board widgets were installed but they have been deactivated. I have done some pretty varied scanning as well as researched for other malware reports related to the site and have come up with nothing. It appears to only be through IE's Smart Screen Filter so for now I will await word back from Microsoft (48hrs?) and go on the assumption it is their error until I find out different. If you could recommend any other checks I could do that would be appreciated. Thanks!
tom2day
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by BryanR Sat 10 Mar - 20:33

Hello, which version of Internet Explorer do you use, the obvious problems I will point out so try fixing the following. Try disabling or deleting Internet's Smart Screen Filter as it might be causing the problem. In some occasions it might be a certificate error caused by the server's use in the certificate or a problem with the certificate itself. I left Microsoft Internet Explorer and moved on to other browsers provided by Google, Apple & Mozilla. They have many abilities and in my opinion have better qualities and functions then Microsoft Internet Explorer.
BryanR
Forumember

Male Posts : 185
Language : English | Spanish | Spanglish | HTML | Graphics

Back to top Go down

Post by tom2day Sat 10 Mar - 20:39

No I don't use IE either, I was made aware by a forum member and then checked with IE8. My big concern is members and potential members getting the impression the site is not safe by using IE, and of course to ensure that the site is safe.
tom2day
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario Sat 10 Mar - 21:03

Could be a post that a user posted with a ban image link.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by tom2day Sat 10 Mar - 21:35

I'll check into that and keep digging around until I hear back from MS. If we could keep this thread open for another 48 hrs it would be appreciated.
tom2day
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMario Sun 11 Mar - 8:17

We can keep it open till its solved or till no reply within 14 days.
MrMario
MrMario
Helper
Helper

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk Tue 13 Mar - 19:42

I's most likely a corrupt gif image, it sounds like the very same thing that totally killed my computer a couple months ago, and seems the whole thing was caused by a corrupt gif image.

And yes it only happens on IE, however it is a very nasty virus that IE members can get if they was to allow it in, I will have to see if i can track down the old post that a couple members had the same problem with, But because it was a few months ago it may be hard to find?
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by tom2day Tue 13 Mar - 19:55

OK kirk if you can find the post that would be great. Thanks LLOP Very Happy
tom2day
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk Tue 13 Mar - 20:37

Here is one thread, i dint get to read everything in there yet, and still am trying to find another thread that was posted a week or so before this one was.

https://help.forumotion.com/t103237-need-help-locating-this-file-microsoft-is-reporting-my-site-as-unsafe-updated-there-is-a-virus?highlight=reported+to+Microsoft

oh here it is.
https://help.forumotion.com/t103243-trojanjs-redirectore
Read through both of these threads and see if there is anything that helps you in there.
I did have a few things posted my self as well ,you have to remember the whole message it not even a real Microsoft message that is coming up.. it's fake and is a virus, however only happens on IE

https://help.forumotion.com/t103243-trojanjs-redirectore
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by tom2day Tue 13 Mar - 23:21

OK I will read through. Thanks for taking the time its appreciated.
tom2day
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by tom2day Tue 20 Mar - 22:22

Well after going through everything with a "fine tooth comb" and awaiting word from MS to no avail the word got out despite the false report. In short it has all but killed an up and coming community forum. My advice to new forum owners would be to discourage members from using IE right from the get go. Luckily my investment has been minimal but more support in this matter would have been helpful especially time wise. I do appreciate the support I did receive although not as expedient as one could hope being that I am a paying client (customer) Perhaps Forumotion could review the help guidelines for situations like this. In any event stuff happens and I would be willing to help anyone with a similar experience.
tom2day
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by tom2day Tue 20 Mar - 22:36

Also as a side note when describing a forum problem one might avoid terms such as virus or malware do to the fact it comes up in Google searches in association with your forum hence the need for PM help or a closed help forum area
tom2day
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray Tue 20 Mar - 23:20

Please don't double/triple post. Your post need to be separated by 24 hours before bumping, replying or adding more information. Please use the edit button instead!

Did the warning go away?

Website has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats  Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by tom2day Tue 20 Mar - 23:28

Yes. It was inappropriately flagged and MS knows it. I have spent money having it scanned and had a friend with Google look into it. Not a life changing experience but definitely learned a lot about dealing with this type of issue. Sorry for the double post.

Last edited by tom2day on Tue 20 Mar - 23:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double post)
tom2day
Forumember

Back to top Go down