The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

hiding custom smilies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hiding custom smilies?

Post by Muddle Manor on March 10th 2012, 11:23 pm

If I create custom smilies for my forum that I don't want anyone but administrators to use and see, is there a way to hide them from everyone else?

Muddle Manor
Forumember

Language : English, fluent in Typo

http://muddlemanor.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: hiding custom smilies?

Post by BryanR on March 11th 2012, 12:29 am

I believe you can, and it will work fine along with the gallery. If you have not yet activated the gallery, I recommend enabling the gallery right now, here is a link that will help you understand what the gallery is and it's functions: How To Use The Gallery

You can set a specific section of the gallery which will only be disabled to administrators, you can place the smilies their, note, that other images then just smilies can be placed.

BryanR
Forumember

Male Posts : 185
Language : English | Spanish | Spanglish | HTML | Graphics

Back to top Go down

Post by Muddle Manor on March 11th 2012, 12:41 am

Thank you, BryanR Smile

I've actually been leaving the Gallery alone for now (the whole site will end up being a gallery of sorts lol,) but I read the link you provided and I can sure see possibilities for that in the future^^

If all else fails regarding the custom smilies, I will absolutely look into the Gallery feature as an alternative. So thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I am still curious if there's a way to hide smilies in a more general way, though... if anyone knows.

Muddle Manor
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Muddle Manor on March 12th 2012, 3:15 am

Sorry for a double-post of sorts. I suppose you could count this as a bit of a bump, but I wanted to add a couple comments and also still curious if anyone out there has more insights on this.

Yesterday while posting in another topic I did notice that this site itself seems to have site-specific-type smilies listed in "Others." To me, this suggests there isn't a way to hide those types of smilies. (Maybe I'm wrong, forumotion could be making those others available intentionally in lieu of format options on the editor lol)

Also, I investigated the Gallery more yesterday. It seems to me that the Gallery would be images only. (please correct me if I'm wrong) When I say "custom smilies," it's important to note I mean smilies that can be applied by using a smilie code [code=example] : roll : [/code] For my needs that is a very important part of the question. Using [ img ] simply won't work the way I need the custom smilies to function. I was hoping I could create custom smilies and add them to, say, the 5th smilie category, and then make that 5th category invisible to guests. (Hopefully that clarifies my question a bit more.)

If anyone out there has any information that could help, it would be really appreciated. I guess I might even need to post this issue in the "Script (code) problems" section. But for the moment, I'll just leave it at this.

KBye!

P.S. I would like those custom smilies to be visible to everyone on any of the forum pages where they're used. My original post may have made that confusing. I just don't want guests to be able to access the codes.

Muddle Manor
Forumember

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum