The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

Members keep getting notification mails

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Suwun on March 12th 2012, 10:40 pm

I didn't find any topic about it, I hope I was careful enough searching for it.

My members on my forum keep getting notification e-mails when somebody posts a message to a topic. They all say they have disabled allowing these notifications, and they have even tried the "stop watching selected topics" option, but they still get the e-mails. I personally do not have this problem, but others do, and I know it annoys them. I have checked their profile if they accidentally haven't turned these notifications off, but everything seems right.
Our forum uses phpbb3.
Is there any way to solve it and get rid of this problem? >< Every help would be appreciated. I hope I gave just enough information.

Suwun
New Member

Female Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Language : Hungarian

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Mr. Eddster on March 12th 2012, 10:44 pm

@Suwun wrote:I didn't find any topic about it, I hope I was careful enough searching for it.

My members on my forum keep getting notification e-mails when somebody posts a message to a topic. They all say they have disabled allowing these notifications, and they have even tried the "stop watching selected topics" option, but they still get the e-mails. I personally do not have this problem, but others do, and I know it annoys them. I have checked their profile if they accidentally haven't turned these notifications off, but everything seems right.
Our forum uses phpbb3.
Is there any way to solve it and get rid of this problem? >< Every help would be appreciated. I hope I gave just enough information.

Tell them all to go to their profile=> Preferences, and then edit them to their liking! All new members should be required to do this!

Mr. Eddster
Forumember

Male Posts : 382
Reputation : 7
Language : English

http://sports-forumbuzz.canadian-forum.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Suwun on March 12th 2012, 10:45 pm

They did that, but they still get the e-mails.

Suwun
New Member

Female Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Language : Hungarian

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Mr. Eddster on March 12th 2012, 10:47 pm

@Suwun wrote:They did that, but they still get the e-mails.
Hmm...

are you sure all their profile preferences look like this?:



Edit: Ah I think I know the problem. Tell them all to go to their profile again=> Topic(s) being watched, and make sure they aren't watching any topics! Cause that automatically sends you emails even if you have all those boxes checked off!Smile Also tell them to check their "favorites", as the same rule applies!


Last edited by Mr. Eddster on March 12th 2012, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mr. Eddster
Forumember

Male Posts : 382
Reputation : 7
Language : English

http://sports-forumbuzz.canadian-forum.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Suwun on March 12th 2012, 10:51 pm

Yes, I'm sure about it. ><

Suwun
New Member

Female Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Language : Hungarian

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Mr. Eddster on March 12th 2012, 10:52 pm

@Suwun wrote:Yes, I'm sure about it. ><

Check out my edit please!Smile

Mr. Eddster
Forumember

Male Posts : 382
Reputation : 7
Language : English

http://sports-forumbuzz.canadian-forum.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Suwun on March 12th 2012, 10:54 pm

I have already told them it, but they say they are still having this problem. Sad They probably haven't tried it with their "favourites", I think, but they did with the "topics being watched" option. ><

Suwun
New Member

Female Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Language : Hungarian

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by 2Burnt2eat on March 12th 2012, 10:55 pm

Oh, I hated this problem, I never found out a way to turn it off as a default option. It was a pain having to have a guide for all new members to do it.

2Burnt2eat
New Member

Posts : 2
Reputation : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Mr. Eddster on March 12th 2012, 10:58 pm

@Suwun wrote:I have already told them it, but they say they are still having this problem. Sad They probably haven't tried it with their "favourites", I think, but they did with the "topics being watched" option. ><

Give it 2-3 days, the same problem happened at our forum, and it took 1-2 days to resolve it. Smile

Thats why I dont use my main email account for making an account on a site. Wink

If its really bothering them, you can make it so that members could change their email address, and they could use an email they never check.Smile

Mr. Eddster
Forumember

Male Posts : 382
Reputation : 7
Language : English

http://sports-forumbuzz.canadian-forum.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by 2Burnt2eat on March 12th 2012, 11:00 pm

Sorry for another post, but out of curiosity was there ever an option added to change the default preferences so each member wouldn't have to configure the email notifications for topics and pms and whatnot?

2Burnt2eat
New Member

Posts : 2
Reputation : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Suwun on March 12th 2012, 11:03 pm

Thank you for your help, Eddster. >< I'm asking currently one of the members who is still online, he says, there is nothing in his favorites, but I'll ask the others tomorrow. I hope it will solve it. >< Editing their e-mail adress is the least thing I'd like to do since we have a lot of members on the forum.


Last edited by Suwun on March 12th 2012, 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Suwun
New Member

Female Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Language : Hungarian

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by Mr. Eddster on March 12th 2012, 11:04 pm

@Suwun wrote:Thank you for your help, Eddster. >< I'm asking currently one of the members who is still online, he says, there is nothing in his favorites, but I'll ask the others tomorrow. I hope it will solve it. ><

Alright!

Mr. Eddster
Forumember

Male Posts : 382
Reputation : 7
Language : English

http://sports-forumbuzz.canadian-forum.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Members keep getting notification mails

Post by kirk on March 13th 2012, 6:24 pm

if it is set in there profile, I believe all post they have it marked for prior to changing it will still be sent a reply, So they would have to go back and edit it in their post not to be notified.

Also remind them never to select that post option for any threads or post unless they want to be notified.

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Reputation : 651
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum