The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Registration email error "Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid"

+53
Richsballpythons
Wednesday Toys
The Godfather
Bubba02STi
toppas
psyckosama
aR-On
graphixgurl
mo.houssami
maarek
BlytheKingdom
Bermygreen
JennBags
Nancy Rinn
MHerushingu
onebigfish
samaritesathinas
Blue_Phoenix
Lil Miss Sunshine
t3d
CARTOONISTS
ScrapPlezier
nagelk
poodleantics
q3CandyGirl
SLGray
Quae
JadeMehBoi
dbowden
Malty
Paper Secrets
itsupportlondon2012
mvervoorn
Poly Pocket
nathanadhitya
paulpattonproductions
Elessar
krissyND303
mad00lini
Delme
maximosm
B2N2Scraps
Brbljivica
KarenElliot
Miskebam
mschooling
Tansy Firedragon
Jophy
Darren1
Shadow
Zerotheheroe
Sanket
jamesgoodchild
57 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Pro Admin Registration email error "Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid"

Post by jamesgoodchild March 20th 2012, 19:23

I've just kicked off a board and have started testing with a couple of people before I roll it out to the club that will be using it. The very first external test user trying to create an account on the board encountered a problem with his email address. I put in one of my spare emails just to make sure I didn't have a setup issue and it took that ok. When I go to change it, I get the same message my test user got, "Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid".

I did a search of the forum archives and there was a thread on this from Feb 17th 2012 by aowlthd that is now locked, otherwise I would have posted to it. aowlthd posted that he couldn't get a email address ending in .NET to work.

Unfortunately where I live, the bulk of the email addresses are <name>@sasktel.net as that is the provincial telecommunications provider and the dominant player in terms of email addresses. Can you please check to see if there is a problem with .net email addresses on your spam appliance? If there is, I may have to drop this board and go to some other solution as I can't asked 80% of my club members to create new email addresses and that percentage is the people who have a <name>@sasktel.net email address.
jamesgoodchild

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Pro Admin Re: Registration email error "Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid"

Post by Guest March 20th 2012, 20:25

Hi!

Please ask member to complete e-mail field randomly, a e-mail that works. Then go to Administration Panel => Users & Groups => Users => Inactive users => Select user and activate the account.

Then you can simply change the e-mail adress of that user, in the real his e-mail.

Think this would help. Smile

Back to top Go down

Pro Admin Re: Registration email error "Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid"

Post by jamesgoodchild March 20th 2012, 21:40

Thanks for the idea Coddy, but that doesn't work. As mentioned in my post, I've already used a "test" email to create his account. I can't swap it using the admin tools to the <name>@sasktel.net account. I have also tried changing the "Unauthorize subscriptions made with the most commonly used spam usernames." setting per the Feb 17th locked thread to no avail. This is something being blocked on the network level, probably with the spam appliance.

My challenge is new users can't create an id using a <name>@sasktel.net email address and even if I "cheat" the system and have them put in a false address, activate their accounts manually, I'm still stuck as I can't put in their real <name>@sasktel.net email address either.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket March 21st 2012, 05:51

The problem is reported.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 22nd 2012, 15:19

Any updates? I'd like to release the forum to the club or start looking for an alternative hosting site.

Thanks.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Zerotheheroe March 22nd 2012, 18:21

Alternative hosting site?

Forumotion hosts the software and makes sure things run properly, add features, etc.

So don't complain. They will have it fixed.
Zerotheheroe
Zerotheheroe
Forumember

http://www.clancaos.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 22nd 2012, 19:33

Wasn't really a complaint. I think what is being done here is great and assuming the email issue can be addressed, we are looking to throw some money into this to help sustain the work being done here.

My challenge is I've got a committment to have a forum up by the end of the month. If this site can't work for me, it would be unfortunate as other than the email problem, it shows great promise and delivers everything I want. If it turns out the email issue is not something that can be addressed, I need to know earlier rather than later as I'll need to find another option for hosting and establishing a forum and I'm running out of time. So, not a complaint, more a question on timelines and an indication on the viability of a fix.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow March 23rd 2012, 15:18

Hello Hello

This issue seems to be related with our antispam system.

I'll try to fix it ! Can you please provide your forum's URL ?
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 23rd 2012, 16:40

jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow March 23rd 2012, 17:19

Thanks.

Can you send me by PM one of this email address ? (I need an existing one)

Last edited by Leeloo on March 29th 2012, 12:51; edited 1 time in total
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 23rd 2012, 22:59

PM with email address sent.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 25th 2012, 16:13

Just wondering if there is anything else I can do to assist with a resolution.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 March 25th 2012, 18:18

Hi,

Unfortunately, you must wait for Leeloo to come into the office tomorrow morning.

Your post informing us that you sent the PM happened at 9PM Friday. Leeloo leaves the office at 5PM for the weekend.
It's now Sunday afternoon. She should be back on Monday sometime Smile
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 25th 2012, 22:03

Thanks for letting me know.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 27th 2012, 01:13

Darren1/Leeloo any updates on this?
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy March 27th 2012, 05:02

I'll pass your thread to Leeloo Wink
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Tansy Firedragon March 27th 2012, 11:44

Hi, I have just had the same problem with someone on my forum

www.kitchenwitchhearth.com

the user's email is an @sbcglobal.net

She couldn't register, kept getting the "email address is invalid" message.

So I registered her under one of my spare email addresses, and then went in to admin to change it to her email address and got the same 'email address is invalid' message.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Tansy Firedragon
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow March 27th 2012, 12:00

Hello Hello

I'm still working on this issue and I will let you know when any solution will be found.

Thank you for your understanding Very Happy

Edit : I think I finally found a solution ! banana
The anti spam security system is strengthened for the forums which have enabled the automatic registration option.
So you probably just have to disable this and chose an activation by email to fix your problem :

Admin Panel >> Users & Groups >> User options >> New accounts activation and select "User" instead of "Automatic activation".

Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 27th 2012, 22:15

Hi Leeloo

I tried that settings change and then went to the existing account with the email problem and tried changing the email address to <name>@sasktel.net and I received the same "Sorry, but this email address is invalid" message.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow March 28th 2012, 10:26

Hello,

Oh, bad news... Sad

I have a one last more information : these 2 domains (sasktel.net and sbcglobal.net) are listed as spammers in several blacklists.
As the service checks automatically these lists while registering, it means that your users will never be able to register with this kind of addresses.

They should use another email address :/
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 28th 2012, 14:48

Leeloo,I don't mean to be disrespectful but Sasktel is a government owned crown corporation provincial telecommunications company and the dominant Internet provider in Saskatchewan. They are the sole supplier for the rural areas of the province and have a majority of the urban centers under their umbrella. I can't ask 80% of my user base, most who aren't technically savy to generate a alternative email address just to sign up on my board. Is there no option to white list the Sasktel domain? If not, I'll have to look at moving everything to a different system.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow March 28th 2012, 15:01

Hello,

Our technicians are already trying to remove these domains from the blacklist.
It has nothing to do with Sasktel but with what several of its users do with their email address, that's how these domains are listed.

And you have to know that our blacklists come from Google or other international services, then it is never a coincidence or an accident.

Anyway, I'll let you know when they will be removed from the blacklist.

Thanks for your patience.
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild March 28th 2012, 15:15

Thanks. Do you have any sort of timeframe? I can't release the board the way it is and if this is going to take weeks I need to know that.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow March 28th 2012, 15:33

Not really, but it won't take weeks.

Technicians have a lot of work but they will try to solve this issue as soon as possible Wink

You'll have to wait a little bit more
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by mschooling March 29th 2012, 00:18

Leeloo, are you working to have "sbcglobal.net" removed as well? If not, please add it to your list. Or, can you tell me/us who we need to contact to get sbcglobal.net removed from whatever other "blacklists" it is that you reference at forumotion? As with the other poster, sbcglobal is one of the pimary provides for the southeastern and southcentral United States (Southwestern Bell Communications - SBC). They are not a small ISP at all.

Thanks for your efforts and for working to get sbcglobal.net addresses accepted for registration on forumotion forums.
mschooling

Back to top Go down

Post by Miskebam March 30th 2012, 20:09

I have had 2 members that have this problem from sbcglobal.net within the last two weeks.

One of our administrators has the same email provider, signed up in April last year with no problem.

Wondering if theres been an update on the status of getting this resolved.

Thank you for all you guys do!
Miskebam

Female Posts : 19

http://www.changesxchange.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy March 31st 2012, 03:43

Moved to Need a Tech forum.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild April 2nd 2012, 21:28

Afternoon (at least in my time zone). Are there any updates on this issue or anything I can help test/work through with you. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow April 3rd 2012, 10:51

Hello ! Smile

There was a small adjustement, can you please tell me if you see any difference with the email addresses of your users ?
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesgoodchild April 3rd 2012, 15:40

Morning Leeloo. I tried the email address and still get the same error message. I then went back and changed the new user activiation type to user and the "Unauthorize subscriptions made with the most commonly used spam usernames" to No and tried again - still didn't work.
jamesgoodchild

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next