The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Requiring Members to Give Their Account Password to the Administrator Upon Registration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Requiring Members to Give Their Account Password to the Administrator Upon Registration

Post by SLGray on March 20th 2012, 11:01 pm

Create a tutorial on how to modify profiles, and when members asked give them the link to the tutorial.

Passwords has to be private so someone can not use the info to gain access to someone else account.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639
Language : English

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Requiring Members to Give Their Account Password to the Administrator Upon Registration

Post by kirk on March 20th 2012, 11:28 pm

You can edit Thrire profiles in the admin panel
So there is no reason to ask for thire pass

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ on March 20th 2012, 11:41 pm

Members can choose that option of receive messages after a reply, through their profile preferences.

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6783
Language : EN, FR, ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ on March 20th 2012, 11:49 pm

So basically, you want an option where they can write their Password: [Only administrators can view this] to make changes that they can't make through ACP ?

Attention!
- Please provide your forum URL at all times.
- When the issue is solved, please mark it as solved.

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ on March 21st 2012, 12:25 am

you can always make a profile, but the problem is that there is no option of who can view it. So, what i can suggest is that you should make a Announcement for members to PM you their Password if they need anything change in their profile.

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ on March 21st 2012, 1:02 am

Well, then if you can and know how, then may i ask why are you asking for help? Or what's really your problem?

Attention!

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g on March 21st 2012, 2:53 am

He's asking would he be in violation of the forumotion terms of use if he asked for their passwords... he's stated that twice.

brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 5344

http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ on March 21st 2012, 2:55 am

Then, in that case. I believe not. Due to the fact that it's his Forum/Rules.

this are Forumotion's Terms and services: http://www.forumotion.com/en/create-forum/terms-of-service.htm

Attention!

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on March 21st 2012, 3:13 am

i do not understand it, there is no reason you should require to know members passwords, then you can log in to their account any time you want whether it's for a legit reason or not.
It's just not something admins would ask for, I would not want to be on a forum that the admins know my password.

Sure a admin can change the pass anytime they want if they really wanted to or had to, But then you would have to explain why the pass was changed and seems suspicious.

Plus you can change the option for Always notify me of replies in a members profile through the admin panel. that would be the option that is going to their emails every time a member replies.

Other then that you should just create your own FAQ sections where members can ask for any help they may need and explain it as they ask.. you can also post directions for various things as stickies in the same section.

To me i just am not very fond of a admin asking or having to know the password of members, And i am sure your intentions are sincere,no harm,no foul, But it's just something admins would not traditionally do.

I mean what if you had facebook administrators saying it is required to provide your account password to them..Well i think you would have a few hundred-million less members with facebook accounts, lol Razz Of course using facebook as an example is a little over exaggerated, But i am sure you see my point..

Other then that it would be up to the members if they want to give it to you or not, they can always change their pass, give it to you, then change it back when you are finished, No harm in that.. Or you can always change it then send it to them in a email when finished to where they can then change it when they log in.

so it's up to you on how you want to work it.

To me it just seems a little extreme to have to ask for passwords of things that are relatively pretty easy to explain how to do/or directions to be posted.

@brandon_g wrote:He's asking would he be in violation of the forumotion terms of use if he asked for their passwords... he's stated that twice.

No it's not a violation for him to ask if a member wants to agree and allow him to have it.
But it's not something i would recommend either.

kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on March 21st 2012, 6:33 am

I agree with Sir Chivas™, you can create an announcement. But, the problem is, what if the users use the same password at the e-mail, yahoo, skype etc? So, you should ask member to choose another password. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 on March 21st 2012, 1:37 pm

Hi bud Smile

YES you are PERMITTED to ask for members passwords upon registration as it does NOT violate the ToS, however it IS considered immoral (Not Moral).

The line to say it is, or is not permitted is way to close for someone who is not within the company to say weather it is or not.

Let's just wait until Leeloo drops in Very Happy

Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by LGforum on March 21st 2012, 1:55 pm

Think of it like this, they join your forum, you ask them for their password, they leave your forum.

A new member won't stick around of asked that.

And your forum is about programming, I'd of though programmers could figure out how to change that setting. Razz

LGforum
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2260

http://www.avacweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on March 21st 2012, 5:48 pm

I dont think we need to leave this open for leeloo to answer, it would not be a violation, and he can work his forum as he wants. I just wanted to stress my points on how it dose not seem like an appropriate thing to ask members.

Once again if it was just a temp pass provided so the admin can change what ever they need, then the member changes the pass when all is finished, then i see no harm in that.

So considering the question was answered and some of are thoughts and opinions where posted, i feel we can mark this solved lock, and archive the post.

Topic Solved & Locked

kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum