The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Assuming this goes here (regarding forum versions)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Assuming this goes here (regarding forum versions)

Post by InnerSolace on March 29th 2012, 11:58 pm

So, I was wondering what the best way to switch forum versions is. Currently, I am using a phpBB2 forum, but I would like to switch to Invision. I have tried using the search function here on the Forumotion forums, and I have even checked the Frequently Asked Questions topic, but I can't seem to find the answer(s) I am looking for. Either I am looking at the wrong thing or I just couldn't find what I wanted.

I basically just want to know what the best way is to switch from phpBB2 to Invision without harming my website in any way. I know that my site look will change, but I have all my buttons and such saved, so I can just re-add those things once I am done changing forum versions. I know that if I make the change too hastily, my forum could potentially mess up, so I am coming on here to ask for a step-by-step process from one of you helpful users so I can switch forum versions safely. I've been using phpBB2 for a couple years now, and I just want to try out something different.

I also have a few questions to ask before I change from phpBB2 to Invision:

1. Will any of the topics that my members and I have posted on my forum be lost, or will they all be saved?
2. Will any profile information be lost, or will all that carry over?
3. Will I or the members lose ANYTHING by switching versions (excluding CSS modifications)?

EDIT: So I did a little more searching around, and from what I can understand, if I change my theme to an Invision theme on Hitskin, then my forum version will change automatically. Am I correct by assuming it works this way? I just want to be sure that what I do is done right because I have read, on multiple occasions, that if the forum version is changed through the administration panel it can cause problems for the forum.

Last edited by InnerSolace on March 30th 2012, 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

InnerSolace
Forumember

Male Posts : 47
Language : English

http://infinityera.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Assuming this goes here (regarding forum versions)

Post by E-Mark on March 30th 2012, 1:23 am

Changing Phpbb2 to Invision w/o* harming/changing anything? Its not possible.
All of your images, stylesheets and templates will all change. Invision doesn't have the template editing so surely it will change. I suggest you to just copy the image url then put it in a notepad then name it, then just replace the image(s) when you already switch version Wink.

All of the posts in your forum, information of your members, their avatar, etc. will not change Wink.

Last edited by E-Mark on March 30th 2012, 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total

E-Mark
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1389
Language : English, Tagalog

http://coding-spot.darkbb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by InnerSolace on March 30th 2012, 2:42 am

Thank you for your response. Earlier in my post when I said "harm" I meant that certain functions on the site may not perform properly, or the look may end up distorting itself here and there after the change. This was what happened on a previous forum when I switched from phpBB3 to phpBB2 through the administration panel. I was just asking to clarify what the best way to switch forum versions would be.

I wound up making a test forum so I could test the change via Hitskin, and it seems that it does indeed change the forum version when the forum's skin is changed to a skin for another version. In other words, I suppose we can declare this problem solved.

InnerSolace
Forumember

Male Posts : 47

http://infinityera.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on March 30th 2012, 4:21 am

Since this thread is marked as solved, this will be moved now.

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum