The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook Login Failure

5 posters

Go down

Solved Facebook Login Failure

Post by jasonseabaugh April 3rd 2012, 18:40

I've followed all instructions on how to set up Facebook login, but when I try to use it I get a Facebook window that says:

"An error occurred. Please try again later."

I've read that some other users have had this problem and that Facebook Login was broken because of an October 2011 update fb did... and that you're working on it... presumably since October.

Is there any information on when Facebook login will be fixed? So far Forumation has been awesome, but I feel like the success of my new forum will be directly impacted by the ease of registration. Everyday this stays broken I'll get more nervous about my launch.
jasonseabaugh

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Facebook Login Failure

Post by Darren1 April 3rd 2012, 21:12

Hi,

The issue was tagged as issue #2428, and is now closed and fixed Smile
The patch was released on December 28, 2011.
The reason for the delay between the facebook change, and the patch going live, is due to our weird coding style and other bugs that required fixing prior.

Being your on PHPBB2, could I ask when aprox. you created this forum?
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonseabaugh April 4th 2012, 03:23

I created it yesterday. My facebook connection wasn't working, which is why I turned to this forum and heard about the fb update. if that's not an issue anymore, then I have a whole other problem. Is there anymore specific information or guide for getting facebook connection to work?
jasonseabaugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Darren1 April 4th 2012, 03:46

I'll need some time tomorrow morning, after I get some sleep to investigate the difference between the French & English coding as it seems to work perfectly on the French Support Forum...?

I haven't been informed of any new template codes when it was released, which naturally would've been already there for you on your new forum Rolling Eyes

It is indeed an issue if it isn't working, which means it'll probably have to go back to our developers/technician's, in the worst case scenario.

Ofcause, as per usual, our Pro-admin will probably drop in, or a member of staff may pass the topic up to her, but in either case, the code needs to be checked, or the patch needs to be re-deployed to us English users.
Darren1
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonseabaugh April 4th 2012, 03:56

Thanks. Here's my forum.

http://burlesquebitch.forumotion.com
jasonseabaugh

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses April 4th 2012, 19:52

I set my forum facebook connect up a few days and its working perfectly. I use phpbb3. Just letting you know so you understand it works if you set it up right. It does for phpbb3 anyway.

My question to you is this. When you set up your apps for your forum at facebook did you click the box on the facebook apps that says something like "connect to a site?" I can't remember the exact wording. You are supposed to add the URL of the site you want it to link up with in the facebook apps you are setting up. Some people miss that part and just grab the numbers they need to add to the forum or website.

You have to of course add the code numbers to the forum facebook connect page which I'm sure you did that already. But did you add the url at the facebook apps?
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonseabaugh April 5th 2012, 02:54

Dangit. I'm pretty sure I signed up phpBB2 because it was the "most customizable" choice. Is there anyway to port the forum, if that would even be the right solution?

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I did set the Facebook thing up right. I needed an App domain, which I could get for free with a website called Horuko (or something) making my App domain something like simple.earth. bunch of numbers.... Was that the right way to go, or should the App domain point to forumotion?
jasonseabaugh

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray April 5th 2012, 03:27

I am a little confused now. Are you using a domain name for your Forumotion forum?

Facebook Login Failure Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51453

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonseabaugh April 5th 2012, 03:46

Let me start over:

Following the steps for creating Facebook login I went to my Admin panel, selected Facebook Connect -> Configuration.

Followed the link to go to the Facebook Developers site and created an App.

Upon App creation I was given the option to have my App freely hosted by a website called "Heroku". As such the App Domain and Site URL do not point to forumotion, but to https://stormy-robot-4466.herokuapp.com/

I plugged my App ID and App Secret code into the forms on my Admin page, and checked the Yes radials next to the questions "Activate Facebook connect module, Activate automatic login and Activate friends invitation message".

The Facebook icon appears on my registration / login page now, but when I select it I get a facebook window with the error: "An error occurred. Please try again later."

What have I done wrong? Did I make the wrong assumption about App hosting? Should forumotion be my App Domain?
jasonseabaugh

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray April 5th 2012, 04:05

For it to work it has to be connected to your ForuMotion forum, when you set up the Facebook app, you should have entered your forum's link.

See if you can edit the information for your app.

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses April 5th 2012, 04:12

Yes thats right. Just go back to facebook and click "My Account" at the top right-hand of the page. Then click "Apps" and you'll see your apps. Then click your app you created for the forum and edit the URL and change it to your forum URL. You don't want any other url but the direct link to your forum.

Keep us updated I want to hear you say "I got it working!" Smile

Oh I almost forgot to tell you, after you get it all set up go to your user profile page in your forum and click "Preferences" ans click the button "Link to facebook" and save your settings. New members won't have to do that if they Register with your forum using the facebook button because there accounts will automatically be linked when they join.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses April 5th 2012, 04:25

Yes thats right. Just go back to facebook and click "My Account" at the top right-hand of the page. Then click "Apps" and you'll see your apps. Then click your app you created for the forum and edit the URL and change it to your forum URL. You don't want any other url but the direct link to your forum.

Keep us updated I want to hear you say "I got it working!" Smile

Oh I almost forgot to tell you, after you get it all set up go to your user profile page in your forum and click "Preferences" and click the button "Link to facebook" and save your settings. New members won't have to do that if they Register with your forum using the facebook button because there accounts will automatically be linked when they join.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray April 5th 2012, 04:29

runawayhorses:
Please don't double/triple post. Your post need to be separated by 24 hours before bumping, replying or adding more information. Please use the edit button instead!

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses April 5th 2012, 04:29

That was a mistake I know that already. Look at the post its the same thing
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by jasonseabaugh April 5th 2012, 04:31

Working!

Thanks guys!
jasonseabaugh

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses April 5th 2012, 04:33

Your welcome.

I think someone was just itching to tell me something. I don't appreciate you sticking your professional cheek out at me when I'm just trying to help. I been here too long I know the ropes and you know I know.

Forget sig I won't help anyone on here again..
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy April 5th 2012, 04:56

Since this thread appears to be solved, I will mark this thread as Solved and move it now.

Note: You can also help the staff member's work by EDITING your topic and marking it as Solved.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down