The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to stop Guest just browsing forums

4 posters

Go down

Solved How to stop Guest just browsing forums

Post by coolcarper April 8th 2012, 7:55 pm

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if this is possible.

I create my Categories and then the Forums within these categories.

Now on the homepage I want my guests to see all the category titles and the forums titles within each category, but then, when they click on a specific forum, to view the topics within that forum, I want a message that comes up telling them that they need to register to view/read the topics within that forum.

At the moment when i try to use the "permissions" part of the admin panel, i can only see one check box that allows me to stop guests from "viewing and reading forums together" so when i check that box, that means that on the homepage, any guests viewing only then see the category titles and forum titles are not visible.

My site is receiving a lot of guest traffic viewing the topics, and i am just trying to think of a way to curb the browsing and try to convert these guests into Registered users.

all help and tips appreciated.
coolcarper

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: How to stop Guest just browsing forums

Post by brandon_g April 8th 2012, 8:19 pm

Go here in the admin panel: General>>Categories and Forums>>Click on the forum that you would like to have the guests not see>>permission's. You'll see setting that says View the forum and it's messages... click members!

And click Save!

That should work!

P.S A message will show up too the guests who try too view it... that you must be a member to view this page or something or another!
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by coolcarper April 8th 2012, 9:07 pm

Hi there,

thanks for the help.

However, I have tried it and what this seems to do is again, "as a guest" you do not see the Title of the forum within the category on the homepage to click on it, then to get the message you talk about to register.

Is it a case of that you can only have the Categories titles, visible to the "Guests" on the homepage and when they click on them that the message appears.

I really wanted guests to see all the titles of the forums within each category, on the homepage before the message appeared when they clicked each forum, that way they would know that there was good forums within each category.

I am i doing something wrong??

thanks
coolcarper

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g April 9th 2012, 12:04 am

If you did everything I told you it should make the specific forum not visible. Now let me ask you a question: did you do it too only 1 section of forum or did you do it too all of them? Becuase Unforunately you have too go into every section and do the thing I just told you... and it should not allow guests ONLY MEMBERS toview topics and posts! so do what I told you too every section then get back too me!

How to stop Guest just browsing forums Brando10
Remember to mark your topic How to stop Guest just browsing forums Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

How to stop Guest just browsing forums Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BryanR April 9th 2012, 12:19 am

Well it can be done, however, the tutorial I will link you to only prevents guests from reading or posting within threads, here's the tutorial link: Guest HTML Page
BryanR
Forumember

Male Posts : 185
Language : English | Spanish | Spanglish | HTML | Graphics

Back to top Go down

Post by coolcarper April 9th 2012, 2:18 am

brandon_g wrote:If you did everything I told you it should make the specific forum not visible. Now let me ask you a question: did you do it too only 1 section of forum or did you do it too all of them? Becuase Unforunately you have too go into every section and do the thing I just told you... and it should not allow guests ONLY MEMBERS toview topics and posts! so do what I told you too every section then get back too me!

Hi,

I did everything you said for each section and marked up "members" for each forum within eaxch category.

This resulted in only the "login" screen being visible as the homepage, no category titles, or forum tiltles.

what next?

thanks
coolcarper

Back to top Go down

Post by coolcarper April 9th 2012, 2:36 am

Ok.

So i've got it now.

In the Forum permisions control panel, there is "simple" and "advanced" mode

While working in the "simple" mode (which is what i was doing previously) you only have one check box for both "view and read" permisions, however in the "advanced" mode this is separated into one check box for "view and one check box for "read" so i just checked only the "view" for guests and this has worked for me.

thanks to everyone for their help
coolcarper

Back to top Go down

Post by coolcarper April 9th 2012, 2:37 am

Solved
coolcarper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy April 9th 2012, 2:37 am

Please don't double/triple post.

Your post need to be separated by 24 hours before bumping, replying or adding more information. Please use the EDIT button instead.

Since this thread is marked as solved, this will be moved now.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down