The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loyal Staff

+7
alacarr
E-Mad™
kailamilos
Jellydonut
Sir Chivas™
LostLegend
DK
11 posters

Go down

Loyal Staff Empty Loyal Staff

Post by DK April 23rd 2012, 12:43 am

I feel kind of dumb as I'm writing this and that no one will be able to help and answer this question.

But, how can I get a loyal staff? I feel that the admins aren't commited to my forum.

One of them is moderator at another forum and that made me feel betrayed because he could've told them sorry I'm already admin in another forum, but he didn't which made me feel betrayed.

Another admin has college which I can understand why he's not on usually.

As for the other one, I have him as a friend on facebook and I can see he is always updating his stuff cause of the news feed.

Honestly, I feel like demoting the two of them without further notice but that just makes me look like a jerk and a bad leader. Other than that, how can I get a loyal staff?
DK
DK
Forumember

Male Posts : 609
Language : English

http://ourworldhub.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Loyal Staff Empty Re: Loyal Staff

Post by LostLegend April 23rd 2012, 9:28 am

Sometime admins/mods tend to work on multiple sites, so don't feel too bad about that unless a site war erupts, which is unlikely if the two sites have nothing in common.

Speak to them about your concerns - don't just demod them. If you demodded the 'more than one forumer' and the 'facebooker', you'd be left with 'inactive college dude'. Are the first two at least active and helping with the site? Speak to the facebooker - he's probably doing updates from his phone where the site can't easily be accessed.

I find loyal staff comes from long-time members. How many do you have?
LostLegend
LostLegend
Forumember

http://naruto-role-play-rpg.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DK April 23rd 2012, 1:55 pm

One of them goes on the Forum and doesn't make any topics or posts. He only goes on the chatbox and when he does he doesn't say anything. I already spoke to him about this and he said he needs time to think. It's been over 2 weeks or 3 by now and I don't it's that hard to make up a decision.

The facebooker is more active than the other admin, such as making posts go.

No one is helping the site but myself.

I only have about 5 long-time members but each of them slowly stopped coming, one by one.
DK
DK
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ April 23rd 2012, 3:04 pm

Sir Chivas™
Sir Chivas™
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 6965
Language : EN, FR, ES

Back to top Go down

Post by LostLegend April 23rd 2012, 3:57 pm

What are you offering your current members as incentives to help them stay? Have you been performing regular updates and advertising frequently?

Keep the facebooker, speak to the no-post-no-chatter one and bin him if he still won't do anything. Is the one who is a mod on the other site still posting at least?

Send a message to everyone, host a mod trial competition or follow the link that Chivas gave. Your priority now is to advertise and get more reliable members, from which a community can be built.
LostLegend
LostLegend
Forumember

http://naruto-role-play-rpg.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DK April 23rd 2012, 10:35 pm

Well we have a lot of shops for members once they get enough points , they can buy something. I've been trying to update my forum frequently, always looking for some new ways to make the forum look better. And yes I have been advertising my forum alot.

The no speak admin didn't make a post since April 17 on the other forum, for mine it's April 21. And that admin is on the chatbox on the other forum, and when I say something to him on my forum he never answers.
chatbox:

My name is Leo and His name is WinterFresh/Happy.

One last thing, what do you mean by "bin him " and how should I host the mod trial? What kind of things should I put?

Also, thanks for the link Chivas, I'll look into it.

DK
DK
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellydonut April 24th 2012, 2:14 am

I can understand why you feel that you need more loyal staff, here's what I think: Let them stay, I would talk to them about how you feel. I too have a staff member I'm unsure about- she's great when she gets on, but she's only been coming on once or twice every 2 to 3 weeks, usually only when I message her. I see that she's always on other sites, she just seems to have forgotten about mine. I'm not sure what to do either though, so I can't really help you with the 'inactive college dude' I would tell him that he needs to get on more, or make a rule saying that if a staff member doesn't post for more that 2 weeks maybe, they will be demoted. That way, you don't seem like a jerk, it's just a simple rule. They can easily be promoted again if they show that they would still like to be staff on your site.
I also have a mod on my site who happens to be a mod at another site. The sites are similar topics, but the other site doesn't distract her at all from my site. Try to ignore the fact that she/he's part of another site, though I do understand how you would feel betrayed. If the other site is keeping her/him from helping your site, talk to them. Tell them that their going to have to be just as active on your site if they want to keep their staff job on there.
For the last one- I would message him on facebook to remind him about your site. If he's been on facebook, maybe he's forgotten about your site. I guess you wouldn't want staff that can forget about your site like that, but maybe he has a different reason to be away. Ask him.
If your site is still growing, it might take a while to be sure that your staff are there to stay. So far I only have 1 admin and one mod that impress me, I'm still looking for more. If you don't think anyone else is up for a staff job yet, wait and see. Maybe new members will be worthy, or old ones will become more active and helpful.
That's all the help I can really give right now, hope you can find some better staff (:
Jellydonut
Jellydonut
Forumember

Female Posts : 572

http://www.googlesclub.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DK April 24th 2012, 2:27 am

Thanks for you advice, Jellydonut, we have similar problems. I will take your advice and try it.
DK
DK
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kailamilos April 26th 2012, 10:59 pm

Loyalty, I think, is something that is established through time. It doesn't really spring up over a course of few days or weeks, that I am sure of.

Speak to your mods first. Ask them what's wrong, maybe they have personal problems that are totally unrelated to your forum. Maybe they just need some encouragement or some "friendly" pep talk to regain their interest in your forum! If that doesn't work well then I guess it's time to find yourself some other mods.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find people who would be willing to commit to your forum. There are a lot of members out there who would love to help you manage the forum. Try and give them a chance as well. Smile
kailamilos
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kailamilos May 10th 2012, 5:25 pm

The best thing you can do is to talk to them. If you want to remove them from their posts, then you have to give them valid reasons. You can look for an admin who will handle your forum from job portals like odesk. Odesk takes screen shots and monitors the time used by a hired individual while working. This way you can monitor your admin’s activities.
kailamilos
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by E-Mad™ May 10th 2012, 5:31 pm

I run a chat site for everyone of all ages, and one of my rules is that chat mods cannot moderate other rooms but forum mods can as we are still a small community so I dont mind. Just make your rules and ensure they stick to them otherwise you will loose members.
E-Mad™
Forumember

http://www.chat-central.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alacarr September 1st 2012, 5:25 pm

If there's an epidemic with spam on your forum, get new mods. If nothings going bad, just leave it alone. I'd appoint the top posters to mods because there on the most and can accomplishe the most.
alacarr
alacarr

Language : english

http://forum.jokejungle.org

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterKG October 18th 2012, 5:19 pm

For me, I have a group of two other friends that I know in real life. They share the same interests as me and we talk almost every day. I'd recommend finding someone that you trust at least 90% and that you have the same interests as. For me, I would never have anyone as an admin that I did not explicitly know in real life but that's just me. Mods are just people that I trust and I feel have a good sense of character but for admins it will always only people that I know. I find that it makes life easier that way. Razz

Best of luck!
MisterKG

Back to top Go down

Post by S-t-e-v-e- October 18th 2012, 10:30 pm

you just have to take a chance on people
S-t-e-v-e-
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Base October 18th 2012, 10:34 pm

S-t-e-v-e- wrote:you just have to take a chance on people

^ I agree with this!

People should always be given a chance to prove themselves. If no one trusted anyone, then how would any new loyal staff be found? I suppose it wouldn't be wise to hire new staff straight away though...
Base
Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by riceme December 13th 2012, 8:29 am

DK: My primary concern would be for the security of your members' personal information, but of course I don't know what sort of forum you have. The forum for which I am Admin is very small, we are an extremely tight-knit group who consider ourselves to be close friends, as we've all been posting on the same forums together for over seven years and used to live in the same city until I moved home to the mountains.

The forum was created specifically for health issues, for example there is one sub-forum specifically for PTSD (where all sorts of trauma is discussed ranging from war to rape and beyond; all very private), one for cancer, etc. So like I said, I don't know if our forum security issues compare, but still something to consider. I'm curious how many members are on your forum,... what sort of a potential Admin/Mod pool you might have.

I liked what MisterKG said about having people who he knows and/or trusts. That has worked well for us with both this forum and for others we are and have been members of in the past.

Oh, and you asked what LostLegend meant by saying, "bin him" above. The translation is, "toss him into the trash bin." I also liked that member's suggestion about a trial competition.

Great thread, DK. You should not AT ALL feel dumb for posting it. And keep up the good fight! Good luck.
Loyal Staff Kungfujedi

------------------------------
Loyal Staff Star3riceme

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. --Nelson Mandela
riceme
riceme

Female Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum