The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Money-making…

2 posters

Go down

Money-making… Empty Money-making…

Post by MiloBilo May 1st 2012, 11:26 am

Hi,

Not really a problem, more a general question, didn't know where else to put it.

I was speaking to a friend the other day about my forum, and they suggested that I could possibly make money through advertising. They also suggested a few sites who would be willing to pay quite nicely for advertising on forums.
Now obviously, I thought this must be illegal to do so with a free forum - it's making money off the back of an otherwise free service. But hypothetically speaking, if I were to buy my domain (if that's even possible), could I then post adverts on it and make money? Has anyone else ever done this before?
Admittedly, this is a touchy subject, so I'm not making any moves until I've had proper confirmation as to the legality of it first, neither do I intend to break forumotion's rules of service.
Just a passing thought really Smile

Thanks for your help Very Happy
MiloBilo

Male Posts : 12
Language : English, and a little French & German too.

Back to top Go down

Money-making… Empty Re: Money-making…

Post by Zerotheheroe May 1st 2012, 9:16 pm

Hello,

This is allowed - however; clearly there are no "enable monetization" tabs in the Administration Panel.

When you make a forum, advertisements are already being displayed to help support the server(s) that are hosting your forum.

You can purchase no advertisements for up to one year.
After advertisements are disabled, you can create a widget to put your advertisement in. It's perfectly fine. In no ways does it violate the forum ToS.

When you use Google Adsense (which is most reliable - but not all sites use it due to Google's strict policies) - they have an option to get the HTML code for your own Advertisement. Paste it into the widget, and place it on the website via portal management.

I purchased a domain through forumotion (clancaos.net) and advertisements are not being ran through by my Google Adsense account to make money.

The advertisements on my website are displayed for guests only, and will disappear when the user signs into their profile.

However!

It may break the ToS if you have not purchased to remove Forumotion advertisements. I'll have to wait for a staff member to check up on that.
Zerotheheroe
Zerotheheroe
Forumember

Language : English

http://www.clancaos.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MiloBilo May 1st 2012, 10:13 pm

Thanks! That's really helpful Smile

But as you say, it's better to wait for a member of staff in case there's some underlying policy about this. As I said, I imagine it's a bit of a touchy subject.
Thing is, for popular sites, Forumotion makes the most money through advertising (in a similar way to YouTube), if they're allowing people to keep their sites free, but reap the benefits of advertising, then they'd be losing out (unless the site had paid for their domain etc., in which the money 'lost' would be hypothetically paid back).
This is all rather interesting, I must say Razz
Thanks again Smile
MiloBilo

Back to top Go down

Post by MiloBilo May 2nd 2012, 11:11 pm

Bump - I'd really appreciate it if a member of staff could comment, just to confirm the legality of it Smile
MiloBilo

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum