The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

forum alignment offset (phpBB3)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved forum alignment offset (phpBB3)

Post by WHITESABBATH on May 12th 2012, 5:03 pm

when i put my forum at 100% , approximately 10-20px of my forum is hidden/cut off to the right side .
I usually have it set at 88% which displays just fine (that I'm aware of)when viewing via a laptop or pc. However when site is viewed via a phone even at 88% , it doesn't all show. Any ideas what is happening and/or is there a code that will align/center page properly?

i have site currently set at 100% so problem is visible ..
Any help in sorting this problem is appreciated.

Last edited by WHITESABBATH on May 20th 2012, 12:04 am; edited 5 times in total

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1198
Language : English, F-Bombs

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: forum alignment offset (phpBB3)

Post by WHITESABBATH on May 15th 2012, 2:33 pm

Bump....
no one from support has a clue?

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ahkrir on May 15th 2012, 7:34 pm

I'm not sure, but have you tried making it a little bit smaller px?
(Mostly in css located)

Ahkrir
Forumember

Male Posts : 288
Language : English

http://smarterweb.go-board.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on May 15th 2012, 8:37 pm

Hi!

I think you have nothing to do about this. Just because mobile phone don't read all CSS or HTML codes. But the reason can be not only this. Remember that on a phone it never will be as good as on PC or laptop. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Ahkrir on May 15th 2012, 8:48 pm

That is true, but there is something different on a mobile phone.
Try entering the forumotion forum on your mobile phone and see how it looks Smile

Ahkrir
Forumember

Male Posts : 288

http://smarterweb.go-board.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH on May 16th 2012, 2:17 am

Perhaps i'm not making myself clear. even via a pc/laptop the site looks cut off on the right side by about 10/20 px. click link and you should see it ..

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on May 16th 2012, 12:54 pm

Yes I noticed that your forum produces a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the screen. I have a desktop PC with a 19" wide screen monitor that is 1280p x 768p and your forum is still too wide for it. Something is not right in your layout. My forum width has been as high as 98% and that produced no horizontal scrollbar even then, but now days with my new design I keep it at 80%.

You forum should expand and retract its width to accommodate different size screen monitors so the page does not require a horizontal scrollbar. Some people have websites like that with horizontal scrollbars and its frowned upon in the design world. Why your forum is doing that I have no idea. I tried to find a image that is wide enough to produce a horizontal scrollbar but they all seem small enough. I'm not sure about that google translator if that is a fixed width or not, I would guess it expands and retracts but if its not and its a fixed width that is too wide it could be causing the horizontal scrollbar..

I do know it shouldn't produce a horizontal scrollbar with a 19" wide screen monitor.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH on May 16th 2012, 2:42 pm

Bump!!!

Thanks for the feed back runawayhorses and everyone else who replied... My first thought was an image was the culprit, but after going through them all, that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll try removing the google translator again and see what, if anything happens. I do believe i checked through all my widgets before i even requested help.

Edit:I checked again and it wasn't /isn't the translator or anything to do with widget content. It isn't an image,nor to the best of my knowledge anything to do with HTML/javascript coding/management..
All i do know is , I have yet to hear from any staff member in regards to this problem,and it's been 4 days since i posted this thread.

perhaps I should pray and hope it miraculously fixes itself. Hem

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on May 16th 2012, 8:45 pm

set it to 80% and you should be fine.
thats what all mine are set to and i never had a problem.

Admin panel>general>configuration>

scroll down to Pages structure set to 80% and hit save.

If you was away a while and this happened when you was gone like you siad in the PM.
Try backing the temp theme up like a month or longer depending how long you have benn gone and see if that helps is setting it at 80% dose not.

Admin panel>display>themes management>

go down to restore skin, and select a reasonable date to before you was gone.

then if it's still like this i will have to look at it when i get home.
be sure it's not a banner or other image making the whole page scroll over? dunno

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH on May 16th 2012, 10:23 pm

@kirk wrote:set it to 80% and you should be fine.
thats what all mine are set to and i never had a problem.

Admin panel>general>configuration>

scroll down to Pages structure set to 80% and hit save.

If you was away a while and this happened when you was gone like you siad in the PM.
Try backing the temp theme up like a month or longer depending how long you have benn gone and see if that helps is setting it at 80% dose not.

Admin panel>display>themes management>

go down to restore skin, and select a reasonable date to before you was gone.

then if it's still like this i will have to look at it when i get home.
be sure it's not a banner or other image making the whole page scroll over? dunno

kirk thank you for replying. I had it set at 88% which displayed properly on my screen. The problem is and it shouldn't be ; is that it won't display properly set at 100%. This all came to my attention when a member messged me stating that the site seemed cut off slightly on his phone,ipad, whatever he was using. It was when looking into the matter that I discovered the site doesn't display properly at !00%.. It should, shouldn't it? I've checked (double checked) images,widgets ,codes,basically everything and they all seem fine. I always use staff as my last ditch effort, because I know you all are busy. After 3 yrs i should have some sort of grasp on this stuff.lmao sometimes we overlook the obvious, and it could be the case. I just exhausted myself trying to figure it out.."When" you have a moment would you give it peek for me? Thanks Kirk

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on May 16th 2012, 11:41 pm

Yeah i think it's something in your css? or some coding/script messing with something?
All i know is this is not something that just happens by it's self, someone had to do something..
Restoring the theme should have fixed it?? so really dont have much of a clue what it could be at this point Sad

Without me having a full look at the css etc... not much i can do.
I keep thinking it's that image you have in the body, i dont think thats a background color, Or you just have the margins messed up somewhere?

All i can do is just assume things it's really hard to tell whet it can be unless i was to set up the skin on my test forum with the css.. and adjust it that way.

If it was to work fine with just the skin and css on my test forum, then i would know it's some of coding/script conflicting.

kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH on May 17th 2012, 3:02 pm

Thanks again Kirk..
I was thinking it was a margin/coding error too, but couldn't find anything. Could be an oversight on my part. I don't view this as a major issue, but one i'd like to get rectified all the same. I sent you my css to have a peek at your leisure. If access is needed to site, let me know and I'll forward you the log on details.
Your attention is appreciated

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on May 18th 2012, 12:53 am

dude idk? this is messed up?
It only happens when you have the widgets on, or at least it did on my test site.

It looks like i got it a little better on my test site, but is not right.
It should be in this wrap part of the css, but yours did not even have the width and the one i made is kind of working but still not 100% there.

I am unsure what else it can be but you can try this.

Code:

#wrap {
        background:#000000 url();
        margin: 0px auto;
        padding: 1px;
        width: 40%;
        -webkit-border-radius:1px;
        -moz-border-radius:1px;
        border-radius:1px;
        border: 1px solid #000000;
        box-shadow: 0 0 1px black;

go in and set your forums width to 40% yes 40.. lol
Going by my test site that is without a couple of your images like main logo, should not make a difference.
But going by this it seems i almost have it.. will it work with yours this way? not sure.
But here is my test site.
http://templearcade.freegametalk.com/

so there is still a tiny bit of play, Once again do not know if it will be the same on your site.

The only other thing i can think of is importing the original skin again, then go and add all your images back and set it up once again.

I mean i have tried numerous things and nothing seems to be right so i am not sure what i am doing wrong or missing, I will run this by other staff that are better in css then myself as well. It may just be something retarded i am missing?

also have you tried removing them scripts for the twisty facebook twitter thing and the collapsible widgets, even with them not on my test site it still has. a little play, but we have to try to rule out all we can right now to be sure?

kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on May 18th 2012, 1:42 am

Just want to say that I tried your test site Kirk and it seems to be fixed from my computer screen. There is no play in it whatsoever and it looks correct. Good job on it even if its not perfect but from my end it looks perfect. I have the 1280 wide screen monitor if that helps you evaluate it.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH on May 18th 2012, 2:41 pm

@kirk wrote:dude idk? this is messed up?
It only happens when you have the widgets on, or at least it did on my test site.

It looks like i got it a little better on my test site, but is not right.
It should be in this wrap part of the css, but yours did not even have the width and the one i made is kind of working but still not 100% there.

I am unsure what else it can be but you can try this.

Code:

#wrap {
        background:#000000 url();
        margin: 0px auto;
        padding: 1px;
        width: 40%;
        -webkit-border-radius:1px;
        -moz-border-radius:1px;
        border-radius:1px;
        border: 1px solid #000000;
        box-shadow: 0 0 1px black;

go in and set your forums width to 40% yes 40.. lol
Going by my test site that is without a couple of your images like main logo, should not make a difference.
But going by this it seems i almost have it.. will it work with yours this way? not sure.
But here is my test site.
http://templearcade.freegametalk.com/

so there is still a tiny bit of play, Once again do not know if it will be the same on your site.

The only other thing i can think of is importing the original skin again, then go and add all your images back and set it up once again.

I mean i have tried numerous things and nothing seems to be right so i am not sure what i am doing wrong or missing, I will run this by other staff that are better in css then myself as well. It may just be something retarded i am missing?

also have you tried removing them scripts for the twisty facebook twitter thing and the collapsible widgets, even with them not on my test site it still has. a little play, but we have to try to rule out all we can right now to be sure?

Welcome to my "nightmare"..lol you see why i was going nuts trying to sort it out. I was under the impression that the "page structure" setting would set the wraps width .The css for the wrap (excluding color)is what came with the skin. No "width" for wrap was in the original css. I'll make the changes/additions and look again at my widgets,then go from there. I can't thank you enough for your time spent. You too runawayhorses..crossing fingers... Very Happy P.S. i had removed all widgets when doing my own testing. even the spinning social network icons,which was my 1st suspicion... They didn't seem to be the problem .

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on May 18th 2012, 7:33 pm

well let us know how you make out with it.
On my ipod your site is mint, even the collapsible widgets and facebook twisty thing scripts worked Smile

kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH on May 19th 2012, 11:24 pm

Kirk, i apologies for not getting back with you sooner on this. After spending long hours yesterday tending to the site, I just wanted to log off and have a few drinks. Site seems to be displaying properly now.. my members are happy ,I'm relieved and some hit-skins themes are crap. fufufu
Thanks again ,for your time and patience in addressing this matter. You've been a great support to me and my members and we all truly appreciate it/you..
thumright

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on May 20th 2012, 6:59 am

Topic Solved & Locked

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum