The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

Appropriate Ads

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In progress Appropriate Ads

Post by Derri on June 6th 2012, 1:52 pm

Well I have been on many forumotion forums and seen some rather inappropriate ads on site.

We have range of the Following:
Scams-e.g Win a free Ipod
Dating websites
Download websites.
Harmful content. I accidently clicked on one of them and as I have pop up blocker turned off for the site it opened up and my virus security kicked in and told me it was dangerous website.

In your terms of service it states we cannot provide links to download inappropriate content, in fact most content unless it is secure and free and unsuspecting. Why are you then giving us ads that lead to inappropriate and sometimes dangerous content.

It would mean that our forums would be safe. This is a Suggestion. However I would like ACTION to be taken and I am not going to put this in the suggestions place because it is not something I want glazed over. FM have the control to remove ads and it is something they can do.

I don't mind having Ads as long as they are safe and not scams.

Surely when using your service you want our members to be safe? and secure?

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by Leviosa on June 6th 2012, 2:21 pm

Hello,

About the ads, which have clearly nothing to do with the content of the forums, we don't approve inappropriate ads. That's why we take measures needed when some forums warn us about inappropriate ads. If you found very suggestive ads, download ads or dangerous ads, please keep the links and provide them by PM so that I be able to see this with the advertiser.

About the TOS, Forumotion strictly respects the international laws and I remind that all the founders of forums MUST respect them. So, the Terms of Service aren't there to annoy you or to send warnings for each little mistake, but to prevent you from providing content which you can be legally sanctionned for.

Leviosa
Administrator
Administrator

Female Posts : 15587
Reputation : 1589
Language : French, English

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by Derri on June 6th 2012, 2:28 pm

Leeloo wrote:Hello,

About the ads, which have clearly nothing to do with the content of the forums, we don't approve inappropriate ads. That's why we take measures needed when some forums warn us about inappropriate ads. If you found very suggestive ads, download ads or dangerous ads, please keep the links and provide them by PM so that I be able to see this with the advertiser.

About the TOS, Forumotion strictly respects the international laws and I remind that all the founders of forums MUST respect them. So, the Terms of Service aren't there to annoy you or to send warnings for each little mistake, but to prevent you from providing content which you can be legally sanctionned for.

Without being too blunt. I aviod clicking on the ads because they are scams. I am not going to save every link url because that would mean I am putting myself at risk.

Surely you have control over the ads in some ways. There are a lot of links. Could we not perhaps have links in them and instead just have an image. maybe saying "FM" and your symbol. I mean would that not be better than "DOWNLOAD FREE MUSIC" I mean it ruins the aspect of the forums and could potentially dangerous.

Also before you say, well you can pay to have them removed. Why should we have to pay to ensure we don't have scams or harmful links on our site?

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by Leviosa on June 6th 2012, 2:35 pm

@Derri wrote:
Leeloo wrote:Hello,

About the ads, which have clearly nothing to do with the content of the forums, we don't approve inappropriate ads. That's why we take measures needed when some forums warn us about inappropriate ads. If you found very suggestive ads, download ads or dangerous ads, please keep the links and provide them by PM so that I be able to see this with the advertiser.

About the TOS, Forumotion strictly respects the international laws and I remind that all the founders of forums MUST respect them. So, the Terms of Service aren't there to annoy you or to send warnings for each little mistake, but to prevent you from providing content which you can be legally sanctionned for.

Without being too blunt. I aviod clicking on the ads because they are scams. I am not going to save every link url because that would mean I am putting myself at risk.

Surely you have control over the ads in some ways. There are a lot of links. Could we not perhaps have links in them and instead just have an image. maybe saying "FM" and your symbol. I mean would that not be better than "DOWNLOAD FREE MUSIC" I mean it ruins the aspect of the forums and could potentially dangerous.

Also before you say, well you can pay to have them removed. Why should we have to pay to ensure we don't have scams or harmful links on our site?

You have to pay to remove ads because Forumotion's a free service which needs the advertising, as you know. And I'm sorry but I already explained that ads on forums shouldn't be offensive or dangerous, so if you have this case on your forum, we'll need the links of these to take needed measures.

If you don't, so I can't see how I may help you.

Thanks !


Leviosa
Administrator
Administrator

Female Posts : 15587
Reputation : 1589
Language : French, English

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by Derri on June 9th 2012, 2:09 pm

Leeloo wrote:
@Derri wrote:
Leeloo wrote:Hello,

About the ads, which have clearly nothing to do with the content of the forums, we don't approve inappropriate ads. That's why we take measures needed when some forums warn us about inappropriate ads. If you found very suggestive ads, download ads or dangerous ads, please keep the links and provide them by PM so that I be able to see this with the advertiser.

About the TOS, Forumotion strictly respects the international laws and I remind that all the founders of forums MUST respect them. So, the Terms of Service aren't there to annoy you or to send warnings for each little mistake, but to prevent you from providing content which you can be legally sanctionned for.

Without being too blunt. I aviod clicking on the ads because they are scams. I am not going to save every link url because that would mean I am putting myself at risk.

Surely you have control over the ads in some ways. There are a lot of links. Could we not perhaps have links in them and instead just have an image. maybe saying "FM" and your symbol. I mean would that not be better than "DOWNLOAD FREE MUSIC" I mean it ruins the aspect of the forums and could potentially dangerous.

Also before you say, well you can pay to have them removed. Why should we have to pay to ensure we don't have scams or harmful links on our site?

You have to pay to remove ads because Forumotion's a free service which needs the advertising, as you know. And I'm sorry but I already explained that ads on forums shouldn't be offensive or dangerous, so if you have this case on your forum, we'll need the links of these to take needed measures.

If you don't, so I can't see how I may help you.

Thanks !


Can I ask you one question then.

Why do we have ads to fake things?

I.e free downloads, free winning of material content and other stuff like that.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by Leviosa on June 11th 2012, 10:15 am

Hello,

One last time : you shouldn't get this kind of ads, but if you do, feel free to provide the link via PM (or at least a screenshot) and I would be really happy to help you with your ads issue.

Thanks Wink


Last edited by Leeloo on June 13th 2012, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Leviosa
Administrator
Administrator

Female Posts : 15587
Reputation : 1589
Language : French, English

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by Derri on June 11th 2012, 4:55 pm

Leeloo wrote:Hello,

One last time : you shouldn't get this kinf of ads, but if you do, feel free to provide the link via PM (or at least a screenshot) and I would be really happy to help you with your ads issue.

Thanks Wink

Okay. I get it.

But my question still stands.

Why do we have fake ads. Like if they were real and not mis-leading it would be fine. But they are not. They are fake.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by Leviosa on June 11th 2012, 4:58 pm

I've got to check what you're asking because I don't understand. Please provide your forum's URL.

Leviosa
Administrator
Administrator

Female Posts : 15587
Reputation : 1589
Language : French, English

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by Derri on June 11th 2012, 5:10 pm

Leeloo wrote:I've got to check what you're asking because I don't understand. Please provide your forum's URL.
http://united-kingdom.com-winner.com/index4.php?sid=AAAAAJcoKQAYG84AAAAAAATIMAAAAAAAAgAEAAYAAAAAAP8AAAACEcD0NwAAAAAAKCo.AAAAAAB2dkEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC3iRAAAAAAAAIAAwAAgD8ARSkU3DcBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=,eJzLcikJyzEozs.NzXWLiMjOiDBzjHTKDS01yg.IBACTvQoC

http://lp.sweetim.com/?pid=400&cmpid=3550900&plcmtid=1523190000&cveid=766222&lpver=62


http://lp.ilivid.com/?appid=394&subid=00ffHTNV1y131Gtx7Q38KGfudv000000&ce_cid=00ffHTNV1y131Gtx7Q38KGfudv000000

Those are just 3 of the bad Ads

We get tons of these kinds and I am not going through them all linking you too them.

It is simply too much. When I say "fake" ads I mean ads that advertise for false things such as "Free ipods"

Things like that. Those all lead to dangerous downloads.

Simply unaccpetable

Also if you wish to take a look at the Forum I am talking about VirtualKid.org/forum

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Appropriate Ads

Post by kirk on June 11th 2012, 6:35 pm

@Derri wrote:
Leeloo wrote:I've got to check what you're asking because I don't understand. Please provide your forum's URL.
http://united-kingdom.com-winner.com/index4.php?sid=AAAAAJcoKQAYG84AAAAAAATIMAAAAAAAAgAEAAYAAAAAAP8AAAACEcD0NwAAAAAAKCo.AAAAAAB2dkEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC3iRAAAAAAAAIAAwAAgD8ARSkU3DcBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=,eJzLcikJyzEozs.NzXWLiMjOiDBzjHTKDS01yg.IBACTvQoC

http://lp.sweetim.com/?pid=400&cmpid=3550900&plcmtid=1523190000&cveid=766222&lpver=62


http://lp.ilivid.com/?appid=394&subid=00ffHTNV1y131Gtx7Q38KGfudv000000&ce_cid=00ffHTNV1y131Gtx7Q38KGfudv000000

Those are just 3 of the bad Ads

We get tons of these kinds and I am not going through them all linking you too them.

It is simply too much. When I say "fake" ads I mean ads that advertise for false things such as "Free ipods"

Things like that. Those all lead to dangerous downloads.

Simply unaccpetable

Also if you wish to take a look at the Forum I am talking about VirtualKid.org/forum

See this is how Google AdSense works.
Forumotion crated a account with Google AdSense, Like many others. Companies and regular people alike. Ok now all Google provides is a number categories to choose on what type of ad's you wish to allow on your sites.. So Forumotion are only obligated to not allow any adult or inappropriate categories with any such ad's.

Forumotiom dose not, did not, and will not select such categories that would be inappropriate. All ad's within the selected categories are randomly generated by Google from companies and share holders that pay Google to run their ad's.

This means forumotion has no control over what ad's Google may randomly place to be viewed at any given time, Only that there will not be any adult ad's or categories appear that forumotion did not choose.

Basically forumotion has fa-filled all they are obligated to do. Ad's would have to be reported to Google and would be Goggle's decision on whether to remove any ad's. For Forumotion to report ad's such as these, then Google is going to tell them to not select the category and the ad's will no longer show.

Every category has stupid ad's such as these, So Forumotion is not going to remove any categories they are not obligated to. The reason the ad's are there is to help Forumotion generate more money.. I am sure you understand nothing is every 100% free, something has to pay for everything some how somewhere.

Would Google remove and see these types of particular ad's to no longer appear on Forumotion sites.. I highly doubt it.. There are many parties involved along with different companies and share holders. All Google dose is give Forumotion or anyone else who has a Google AdSensee account the opportunity to gain a small kick back every time a ad is clicked.. Forumotion could never stay a float from monies generated by ad's alone. This is why Forumotion provide an option for Forumotion forum owners to to pay and have the ad's removed.

At the end of the day it all boils down to being business. Sure Forumotion is free forum hosting, and one the best if not the best in the world..But in order for Forumotion to continue to provide as many free services as possible, they still have to make money.. So the ad's are there to help with this. Once again Forumotion are only obligated not to allow any such ad's with adult content. If ad's are fake, or a scam, illegal, then Google is to be held liable and responsible to remove any such ad content.

With that in mind. If you come across any ad's that are inappropriate or pornographic. Then yes Forumotion, will report this and have the ad's removed Like Leeloo has stated. You would have to provide screen shot of the add, and link it leads to
The ad's you have above do not fall in the category of something being explicitly inappropriate, If they are fake or corrupt, Once again goggle is to be held liable.

I am sure Leeloo will do what she can and pass the reported ad's along to Google.
But once again it is in Google's hands, Once again Google randomly generates what ad's go out in what categories, And you have to understand Forumotion is not going to lose money from declining from a category they are otherwise not obligated to. It is Google's responsibility to know what ad's they are allowing and running in the selected list of categories Google provides.

It would not hurt to report any such ad's to Google. But i honestly do not see them removing anything they do not have to.. There is way to much money involved. And it's Google.. i am sure they have their self covered, I could only imagine the teams of lawyers they have behind them.. lol

So i am just trying to help explain how it all works, I am no expert.. But in a nut shell the ad's are there to help generate money for forumotion. If you find the ad's that annoying then you can buy credits to have them removed.. I wish i could provide you with something more of what you want to hear, But thats basically how it works. It's business.

And just because Google is Google, dose not mean they are untouchable.. Mad
I am not a very big fan of Google myself. For what it's worth i hope this helped explain a little more.


Thanx

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Reputation : 651
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum