The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yes or no

47% 47% 
[ 9 ]
53% 53% 
[ 10 ]
 
Total Votes : 19

Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Sir Chivas™ on June 18th 2012, 6:24 am

I think Forumotion should add a default blank, that way you can get rid of the browser, and version you use. I honestly, want to get rid of it. So, maybe should add a default blank.
avatar
Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6801
Reputation : 433
Language : EN, FR, ES
Location : || CSS || HTML || Graphics Designs || Support ||

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by runawayhorses on July 6th 2012, 5:59 pm

I have default blanks on my forum for people who don't want to show anything in the fields. So I voted yes I think its a good idea.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 164
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Mike on July 6th 2012, 7:50 pm

theyre there because when people need support the moderator needs to know the forum version and browser so they can assist further. I'm gonna vote no.
avatar
Mike
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 4243
Reputation : 468
Language : English, HTML, CSS
Location : Loveland, Colorado

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Darren1 on July 6th 2012, 7:56 pm

Drogba921 wrote:theyre there because when people need support the moderator needs to know the forum version and browser so they can assist further. I'm gonna vote no.

Sigh. ... Guess 'Members' don't really count?

Their there not to display what browser/version is, although that is a secondary function on it - they were added so we can show others is non-support related areas what our preference is, or what we currently use.

let me invalidate your argument Drog Razz
My profile says I use BB3, but ironically, I need help for PunBB. Function then useless, right?


I'm voting in favor, because we should be able to not display our preference in our profile, more anonymity Smile
If I want support, I'll post my details.
avatar
Darren1
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 11853
Reputation : 563
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by runawayhorses on July 6th 2012, 8:27 pm

Drogba921 wrote:theyre there because when people need support the moderator needs to know the forum version and browser so they can assist further. I'm gonna vote no.
I'll add to Darren's comments.

Even when members have there version displayed and what browser they use the question is still asked by everyone "what version do you use?". They also ask when its relevant "what browser are you using?". What hasn't been mentioned here but I will now address since I'm talking about profile fields and how no one pays attention to them, is how people are always asking for the URL to there forum when they have already added it to there profile. That's just another example of how the profile fields are ignored by people helping.

Darren1 is correct in pointing out members help just as much as "Moderators" do. This is not a Moderator issue or a helping issue, because these fields are ignored by most people helping, and that includes Moderators.

Its understandable, because some people don't have the updated information in there profiles, so regardless of what they have chosen in there profile, its sometimes a good idea to ask them what they are using to be sure.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 164
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by gamekingx on October 23rd 2012, 5:35 pm

I would like to see this too.

gamekingx
New Member

Posts : 2
Reputation : 1
Language : Dutch

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by roberts1223 on October 23rd 2012, 5:39 pm

Ofcourse NO! Smile
avatar
roberts1223
Forumember

Male Posts : 125
Reputation : 3
Language : Latvian, english, russian
Location : @ internet

http://tankionline.latvianforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Sir Chivas™ on November 22nd 2012, 1:39 am

Come on more votes? Both Runawayhorses & Darren1 have a strong point of view.



Attention!
- Please provide your forum URL at all times.
- When the issue is solved, please mark it as solved.


avatar
Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6801
Reputation : 433
Language : EN, FR, ES
Location : || CSS || HTML || Graphics Designs || Support ||

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by nextlevelgaming on November 22nd 2012, 2:24 am

I can understand runaways defense on this. Though people like me, I use punbb and phpbb2, and also I have 5-6 different websites. Also I use every browser, Safari, Chrome, Firefox,Waterfox, and IE for comparisons and check if any errors due to lack of compatibility.

So to focus on the fields issue, For browsers/versions I believe we should be able to mark more than one. Though in your questions, make sure to place your boards version if different than Profile, as well as the url to what site you are using Smile

Best regards on this guys, I really don't think I've seen anything added from the suggestions area. It truly is a waste of time.
avatar
nextlevelgaming
Forumember

Male Posts : 989
Reputation : 38
Language : English|CSS|HTML5|javascript|
Location : New York

http://www.easybbtutorials.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Sir Chivas™ on November 26th 2012, 4:47 pm

I do get you nextlevelgaming, but why not rather let the Administration edit the Rules for the support section and create a commander that way it's better organized due to the fact that you always have helpers or moderators asking for urls, screenshots, or further explanations about their queries. It'll maybe look something like this:

Code:

[b]Problem:[/b] You can explain yourself here as much as possible.
[b]Screenshot:[/b]A screenshot of your issue containing this link: http://help.forumotion.com/t24814-how-to-take-a-screen-shot
[b]Link to your forum:[/b]
[b]Version:[/b] PhpBB3, PhpBB2, PunBB, or Invision.
[b]Extra comments or queries:[/b] In here they can provide the URL of the forums inside the screenshot of the URLs of the forums that contain the things they want.

Problem: You can explain yourself here as much as possible.
Screenshot:A screenshot of your issue containing this link: http://help.forumotion.com/t24814-how-to-take-a-screen-shot
Link to your forum:
Version: PhpBB3, PhpBB2, PunBB, or Invision.
Extra comments or queries: In here they can provide the URL of the forums inside the screenshot of the URLs of the forums that contain the things they want.


I also think that having multiple options of selecting one or more browsers or versions, would be awesome and helpful. You can maybe suggest that, but you have a strong point there's hasn't been anything accepted lately..
avatar
Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6801
Reputation : 433
Language : EN, FR, ES
Location : || CSS || HTML || Graphics Designs || Support ||

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Sir Chivas™ on December 10th 2012, 1:13 am

Please more members, give out your ideas, I want to remove all of these things that aren't needed.



Attention!
- Please provide your forum URL at all times.
- When the issue is solved, please mark it as solved.


avatar
Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6801
Reputation : 433
Language : EN, FR, ES
Location : || CSS || HTML || Graphics Designs || Support ||

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Sir Chivas™ on December 26th 2012, 5:26 am

This hasn't been brought up, it's been awhile and I know that a lot of members want this. fufufu



Attention!
- Please provide your forum URL at all times.
- When the issue is solved, please mark it as solved.


avatar
Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6801
Reputation : 433
Language : EN, FR, ES
Location : || CSS || HTML || Graphics Designs || Support ||

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Kaizer Lee on December 26th 2012, 5:36 am

I voted for no with the same reason as Drogba's. Sorry, man.
avatar
Kaizer Lee
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1064
Reputation : 54
Language : English, Tagalog, Spanish and Chinese
Location : Philippines

http://www.medievalchaos.net/forum

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Sir Chivas™ on December 26th 2012, 6:01 am

-___- You shall regret this, Kaizer. Lol, just kidding. Very Happy



But both Runaway, and Darren have good points, that's why I thought of this:

Sir Chivas™ wrote:I do get you nextlevelgaming, but why not rather let the Administration edit the Rules for the support section and create a commander that way it's better organized due to the fact that you always have helpers or moderators asking for urls, screenshots, or further explanations about their queries. It'll maybe look something like this:

Code:

[b]Problem:[/b] You can explain yourself here as much as possible.
[b]Screenshot:[/b]A screenshot of your issue containing this link: http://help.forumotion.com/t24814-how-to-take-a-screen-shot
[b]Link to your forum:[/b]
[b]Version:[/b] PhpBB3, PhpBB2, PunBB, or Invision.
[b]Extra comments or queries:[/b] In here they can provide the URL of the forums inside the screenshot of the URLs of the forums that contain the things they want.

Problem: You can explain yourself here as much as possible.
Screenshot:A screenshot of your issue containing this link: http://help.forumotion.com/t24814-how-to-take-a-screen-shot
Link to your forum:
Version: PhpBB3, PhpBB2, PunBB, or Invision.
Extra comments or queries: In here they can provide the URL of the forums inside the screenshot of the URLs of the forums that contain the things they want.


I also think that having multiple options of selecting one or more browsers or versions, would be awesome and helpful. You can maybe suggest that, but you have a strong point there's hasn't been anything accepted lately..
avatar
Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6801
Reputation : 433
Language : EN, FR, ES
Location : || CSS || HTML || Graphics Designs || Support ||

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by runawayhorses on December 26th 2012, 11:05 am

Sir Chivas™ wrote:but you have a strong point there's hasn't been anything accepted lately..
It makes you skeptical that any suggestions will be accepted or implemented anytime soon when other issues are still pending in the "Need a technician" section dating back to early October.

Lets not lose focus of the question being presented here. The question the poll is asking is should default blank fields be added to the profile so you can choose not to display your information such as version type and browser. I voted yes to blank fields because its ridiculous not to do so when you look at the situation.

What is written in members profiles is clearly irrelevant when no one pays any attention to it, and that is proven every time someone asks a member what there browser type is and forum version when its already displayed in there profile in plain view. The issue of the right to privacy was also mentioned, that is still yet another reason the blank option is a good idea, if you somehow still needed to be persuaded, which is hard to comprehend. Its clear, moderators and helpers ask what version of forum people have even though its in the profile, so obviously that field can and should have the option to leave blank when it is ignored anyway, period. Any questions?

@Kaizer Lee wrote:I voted for no with the same reason as Drogba's. Sorry, man.
So you voted no because you're in agreement with Drogba921 when he said "the moderator needs to know the forum version and browser so they can assist further."

Oh ok, well you clearly have a greater understanding of this situation than I do and thought about it for a great deal of time, so I will now retract my statements above because Kaizer Lee is right, the moderator needs to know the forum version and browser so they can assist further.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 164
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Ina on March 17th 2013, 1:51 pm

3 fields are the most important to be filled in our profiles:
- website
- forum version
- browser.
Most of the connection problems and other issues like the compatibility with the CSS codes, are due to the browser we use.
The forum version is determinant when we give help, for templates, CSS codes and other features, like colors, supplementary options and different position of the profile elements, and so on.
This is why the fields should be kept up to date by the users themselves. The time consuming question - answer chat replacing the profile fields is very much like this: - "what is your forum version?" then a waiting time, then here comes the answer, and finally we receive the solution...after a week or so :wouhou:
Why wait when it's easier to take a look next to the message and see the info you need?

The alternative you propose provides space for spam and all kind of unrelated messages to fill the custom field instead of the useful info.

So the staff should not just keep the fields but also constantly encourage the users to update their profiles.

Have a nice day!
avatar
Ina
Forumember

Female Posts : 435
Reputation : 3
Language : All in one
Location : St. Andrew's land

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Ikerepc on November 15th 2013, 8:17 am

I like this idea, voted yes

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1114
Reputation : 153
Language : Croatian, HTML, CSS, jQuery, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Bascom, Python, C, FBD & LAD for PLC and more... Little English :D
Location : Around electronics and progmamming ;)

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by runawayhorses on November 15th 2013, 3:09 pm

@Ina wrote:3 fields are the most important to be filled in our profiles:
- website
- forum version
- browser.
They certainly do not prove to be important when they are overlooked by the help providers and serve to be irrelevant as to what is entered, and thus is why the members should have the ability to leave those fields blank.


@Ina wrote:Most of the connection problems and other issues like the compatibility with the CSS codes, are due to the browser we use.
No necessarily so, A large number of css issues are related to the version of forum they are using, and are in no way browser related. Each forum version has its own range of css selectors specifically designed for that version only. In fact, most browsers read the majority of CSS the same, with a few exceptions with older versions of Internet Explorer.

@Ina wrote:The forum version is determinant when we give help, for templates, CSS codes and other features, like colors, supplementary options and different position of the profile elements, and so on.
This is why the fields should be kept up to date by the users themselves.
Because those issues are important is why the help providers ask these questions and ignore what is entered in the profile fields. The fields are often times overlooked and ignored because they do not always reflect what version of forum they are asking the question about. Most people do not update their profile fields with the current version of forum their question is addressing. Some people have several forum versions and they do not update their profile for each question asked. Which brings us back to the suggestion that they fields should not be required to be filled in if they are not helpful in determining what version they are asking the question for, in fact they can be misleading. Many times I have answered a question only to find out later what they had written in their profile did not relate to their forum version, or browser.


@Ina wrote:Why wait when it's easier to take a look next to the message and see the info you need?
Read my previous answer above, what is written in the profile is irrelevant, so the question needs to be asked if they do not provide what version they are using with their question (s).

@Ina wrote:The alternative you propose provides space for spam and all kind of unrelated messages to fill the custom field  instead of the useful info.
Not at all, the space would be an empty field where no writing is possible, it could be 'selected' with a empty transparent button (empty.gif) perhaps where no space is provided to write anything. You 'select' the empty field. The workaround for that can be done several ways, and is a non-issue.

@Ina wrote:So the staff should not just keep the fields but also constantly encourage the users to update their profiles.
That doesn't work, because 'encouraging' someone to do something does not guarantee they will do it, or does it make a faulty system designed for finding out what version of forum, type of browser, and website they are using, work. You can't make something work efficiently for gathering information when it is not used, or returns incorrect data. Even when those fields ARE filled in they are irrelevant.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 164
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Derri on November 15th 2013, 5:10 pm

I think the profile fields should stay as a mandatory option and I do think there should be no default blank.

While I'll admit their usefulness is limited, meaning they either haven't updated it or they've chosen the wrong version, more often than not they are useful.

Quite often when I provide support and someone tells me something is wrong I will ask what their browser version is, not because I don't check what they've currently got but lessons have taught me that, some people frequently change and forget update their profile.

In all seriousness they do no harm.


Forum Rules : : Forumotion Staff : : Appeal A Warning : : FAQ : : Tips & Tricks : : Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

avatar
Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8622
Reputation : 614
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by runawayhorses on November 15th 2013, 5:19 pm

Please provide your reasoning as to why it should be "mandatory". You explained its uselessness and irrelevancy quite well, so please enlighten us as to why this should be "mandatory". By your own admission the information entered in those fields can be misleading.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 164
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Derri on November 15th 2013, 5:24 pm

@runawayhorses wrote:Please provide your reasoning as to why it should be "mandatory". You explained its uselessness and irrelevancy quite well, so please enlighten us as to why this should be "mandatory". By your own admission the information entered in those fields can be misleading.
I honestly don't want to have a debate over what I said so I'll explain it then I'll leave because its not worth making a big deal over. I explained how it can be misleading but it is also useful when it is right and quite often it is right, most of the time when people ask "What is your forum version" it is because they are ruling out the possibility that the person has the wrong option in their profile.

I honestly don't see the harm in keeping it as an option that must be filled in.
avatar
Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8622
Reputation : 614
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by runawayhorses on November 15th 2013, 5:40 pm

@Derri wrote:I honestly don't see the harm in keeping it as an option that must be filled in.
So you don't like the idea of it being an "optional" field, it must be made "mandatory" with no options.

Humm interesting..

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 164
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by runawayhorses on November 21st 2013, 12:37 pm

Here is a classic example of how irrelevant and misleading what is written in your profile can be. It would be much better to leave those fields blank than to lead people on a wild-goose chase by what is in the profile. This is why we need to ask what version of forum they are using and NOT rely on what is written in their profile. To make those fields "Mandatory" is nothing short of ridiculous. I been here over 5 years and this is what happens all the time:

http://help.forumotion.com/t128348-category-link-color

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 164
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestion: Edit Profile Fields.

Post by Count Dooku on January 6th 2015, 10:14 pm

Good arguments for and against, I'll wait before voting.
avatar
Count Dooku
Forumember

Posts : 279
Reputation : 2
Language : English, French, some Arabic

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum