The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Should images in the Gallery be uploaded to Forumotions Host?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

67% 67% 
[ 4 ]
33% 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

Post by runawayhorses on July 25th 2012, 4:18 pm

Images that get moved to the Gallery should be uploaded to this forums image account. I've seen many threads in the gallery before where the images have been deleted by the user who made them, and now as a result are not showing in the gallery anymore. I have reported these images when I see them so the topics can be deleted. But the issue is that the people that make them do not wish to host the images forever so they delete them, so if forumotion hosted the ones they choose to add to the gallery it would eliminate the problem.

For example, as you can see from the quote below my navbar was accepted. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if these images suddenly disappeared in a month. Serving will continue to host images for 1 month after you delete them, then they are gone forever...

http://help.forumotion.com/t110920-navigation-bar-neon-blue

Drogba921 wrote:This could use a bit of work, but since we're in need of nav bars:

Your proposal has been accepted.

So I propose that forumotion upload the images to there own account if they decide to add them to there gallery, otherwise they will continue to have gallery topics with no images... Wink

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Language : English

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Should images in the Gallery be uploaded to Forumotions Host?

Post by Ina on March 17th 2013, 11:38 am

This option is already implemented in this support forum. Everyone can upload pics directly to servimg, unlike on the regular forums where the members can only use imageshack.
But since the graphic creations are copyrighted under the author's name, no one can forbid the author to restrain the access to his/her own creations.
This suggestion contradicts the copyright policy.
Vote: Thumb down

Ina
Forumember

Female Posts : 435
Language : All in one

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on March 17th 2013, 2:03 pm

When you submit a graphic to this forums gallery you are in agreement that anyone can upload your images to there own server and use your graphic publicly on there forums or elsewhere, you willfully forfeit any copyright restraints you might have to its usage.

By the way, images are not automatically copyrighted "under the author's name" magically because they CLAIM that they made them, for a real copyright you have to do it officially through the proper channels, but that is not what is being discussed here, the fact is anyone submitting graphics to the galley is well aware it is for anyone to use.

The option mentioned above is NOT already implemented because uploading an image to serving is not uploading it to this forums account.

On the regular forums and in the galleries members are in no way only limited to imageshack, they have the ability and are welcomed to use any image host they want, such as photobucket, tiny pic, Flickr, etc.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ina on March 17th 2013, 4:48 pm

Servimg is limited to the forum owners and there is no other way to create an account => once the pics are uploaded to Servimg via the forum's message editor, they don't vanish. And this is your main concern, right?

Second, I'm sorry to upset you but we don't have the ability to ask for the copyright certificate (and in fact, once an image is made public for the first time by someone, then that someone can claim the copyright for it, unless the original author has a better proof to be the owner of the copyright - that's sad but that's the law). So we have to think everyone has good intentions. Of course, if the images are obviously stolen they won't be accepted in the gallery in the first place.
The designers aren't an image encyclopedia...
But if the image is stolen and the user receive a complaint and must remove the image from the host, then the image will vanish - and we can't and we shouldn't prevent this from happening.

Then you contradict yourself. Since you are aware that members
have the ability and are welcomed to use any image host they want, such as photobucket, tiny pic, Flickr, etc.

and you are aware that we can't control their preferences, then how could we ask them to upload the images in the forum's account?
The best way is to encourage them to use the Servimg service provided with the message editor. Could you find a better way? One that can ensure a certain account will be used?
I can understand that you actually propose for an account - on a certain host - to be created, called Forumotion's account and the login data should be at our disposal so any member could use this account, right? How do you propose to make public the login data? How do you propose to control if everyone upload the pics on this special account? I think the designers have better things to do than to check every link in the gallery.
On short, this is a contra-productive suggestion and the best way to prevent the images from being lost is already in place.

An alternative way would be to activate the forum's Gallery, where a mod or the users themelves can upload the pics - but this is a completely different suggestion.

Ina
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on March 17th 2013, 7:47 pm

@Ina wrote:once the pics are uploaded to Servimg via the forum's message editor, they don't vanish. And this is your main concern, right?
Wrong, when you use this forums text editor to upload images to serving you are asked to login to your account if you aren't already, and upload it to YOUR account not forumotions. When the images are in the individuals personal account they can be deleted by that individual. Furthermore not everyone uses the forums text editor to upload there pics with, in fact I'd say less then half use the editor, as most of us know how to code it ourselves or have other hosts we use.

@Ina wrote:Second, I'm sorry to upset you but we don't have the ability to ask for the copyright certificate (and in fact, once an image is made public for the first time by someone, then that someone can claim the copyright for it, unless the original author has a better proof to be the owner of the copyright - that's sad but that's the law). So we have to think everyone has good intentions. Of course, if the images are obviously stolen they won't be accepted in the gallery in the first place.
The designers aren't an image encyclopedia...
But if the image is stolen and the user receive a complaint and must remove the image from the host, then the image will vanish - and we can't and we shouldn't prevent this from happening.
You're not upsetting me at all, if fact just the opposite, I find you quite amusing. You are missing the point here, the point is the gallery section is for uploading images so people can use, and when you're the author of the images (you made them) and when you submit them to the gallery proposals then you are willfully forfeiting any copyright restraints you might have to its "usage". I made no mention of anything other then that, you on the other-hand suggested that author should have access to HIS images at all times, I was showing how when you upload them to the gallery for people to use you are forfeiting any copyright restraints you might have to its usage, sorry but THAT is the law when you upload your images to places that are clearly outlined and designed to be shared with others, such as this forums gallery.

@Ina wrote:Then you contradict yourself. Since you are aware that members
have the ability and are welcomed to use any image host they want, such as photobucket, tiny pic, Flickr, etc.

and you are aware that we can't control their preferences, then how could we ask them to upload the images in the forum's account?
No contradiction here pal you are WAY off base and in outer space with that comment, its simple, the moderator or staff member once they 'accept' an image and add it to the gallery they could then upload it to this forums account. Might I respectfully suggest you start reading the posts you plan on replying to and concentrate, as opposed to daydreaming.

@Ina wrote:The best way is to encourage them to use the Servimg service provided with the message editor. Could you find a better way? One that can ensure a certain account will be used?
Like I said before, when someone uses the test editor and uploads to serving it is uploading to there personal serving account, not this forums.

@Ina wrote:An alternative way would be to activate the forum's Gallery, where a mod or the users themelves can upload the pics - but this is a completely different suggestion.
Wrong again, that was exactly in line with my suggestion, let the mods or staff members upload them to this forums serving account.

Have a nice day, and thanks for making my laugh.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on March 17th 2013, 8:03 pm

Instead of getting too much argumentative, lets clarify what runawayhorses is suggesting.

You are suggesting that we should upload the images using our servimg account so that they are not deleted, correct?

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on March 17th 2013, 8:07 pm

@Sanket wrote:Instead of getting too much argumentative, lets clarify what runawayhorses is suggesting.

You are suggesting that we should upload the images using our servimg account so that they are not deleted, correct?
Correct, that you (Admin) or another staff member uploads the accepted images to this forums serving account so they are not deleted.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ina on March 17th 2013, 8:31 pm

As far as I know, each member is entitled to its own opinion héhé

Wrong, when you use this forums text editor to upload images to serving you are asked to login to your account if you aren't already, and upload it to YOUR account not forumotions.
And here I am, silly me, checking my servimg account - I couldn't find any of the images uploaded from here shakng2

It would be funny to see this suggestion accepted, I'm curios who would still want to be in the staff of this forum if they should re-upload all the images. cheers The staff ain't a slave team.

About the copyright, as I can post here, in a public place, and allow people to freely use my images, it's also my right to ask for all my posts to be removed when I decide to leave and even delete my account. And I can ask the deletion even for a Hitskin theme, because it's still my copyright and my legal right to decide upon the terms of use of the images I place under this copyright. Same goes with the images I post in the gallery. It's my decision to offer them for free use, but this doesn't makes them public domain. They will become public domain after 70 years in most of the countries lol!
On short, your suggestion is against our civil rights.

Ina
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on March 17th 2013, 8:40 pm

Since things are more clear now, I would vote no for this suggestion as well. Its too much of trouble for staff members to download the images & then upload the images each & everytime.

Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on March 17th 2013, 8:47 pm

@ Ina Lmao at you, you obliviously don't understand the concept of upload and downloading or anything else being suggested here, you are in no-mans-land without a clue what is being said. So I will now let you ramble away with your meanness and uneducated comments, I have better things to do than read people that are in over there head to the subject.

No need Sanket, I'm done commenting, in fact you can lock this topic for all I care.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on March 17th 2013, 8:48 pm

Your call, Thread is being Locked at Author's request.

Sanket
ForumGuru

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum