The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extreme case of abuse - request for contact by an admin / advice

4 posters

Go down

Solved Extreme case of abuse - request for contact by an admin / advice

Post by DM Dormouse July 30th 2012, 5:44 pm

Hello.

Our forums are being attacked by a malicious and very destructive individual repeatedly who is managing to register and whom has started to send out appalling, absolutely awful, images of abuse in pms to our forum users. I wont go into detail here but they are appalling and haunting.

I pm'd Base, the staff member here, and he suggesting posting here and seeing if members or (ideally) an admin will respond.

Due to the repeated, vicious, and very clever attacks I dont want to go into details but they are intensely disturbing. I would very much appreciate an Admin contacting me so that I can discuss the situation in more detail and most of all make it very, very clear we're trying everything we can to curb this stuff.

1) we disabled all new registrations for a while. now they are enabled, but a forum admin must enable them.

2) You must now post 5 times or more before you can send pms.

3) ill be putting flood control on as soon as ive finished writing this.

4) We have now got several modders who can ban people immediately, hopefully providing 24/7 coverage.

5) almsot all the suggestions here https://help.forumotion.com/t75418-my-forum-was-hacked have been put into effect

6) we will be deleting all inactive accounts over 12 months old and all accoutns that he may have created in a period of 3 months earlier this year.

We want to make it absolutely clear we hate this guy's actions and we do NOT want to be in trouble with forummotion.

If an admin could contact me ill provide more details. we woudl very much appreciate this.

thank you

Dormouse
DM Dormouse

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Extreme case of abuse - request for contact by an admin / advice

Post by Sanket July 30th 2012, 6:13 pm

You have taken quite a few corrective measures. thumleft

You can also do the following.
General>Forum>Security
Unauthorize members with less than a week registration to post external links and emails : Yes
Unauthorize guests to post external links and emails : Yes
Unauthorize unofficial forms to post messages and private messages on the forum :Yes
IP address accounts creation limit, for each 24 hours :0
Flood control. Delay between 2 messages, topics or private messages by a user.: 60 seconds or whatever you find suitable.
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 July 30th 2012, 6:24 pm

DM Dormouse wrote:Hello.

Our forums are being attacked by a malicious and very destructive individual repeatedly who is managing to register and whom has started to send out appalling, absolutely awful, images of abuse in pms to our forum users. I wont go into detail here but they are appalling and haunting.

I pm'd Base, the staff member here, and he suggesting posting here and seeing if members or (ideally) an admin will respond.

Due to the repeated, vicious, and very clever attacks I dont want to go into details but they are intensely disturbing. I would very much appreciate an Admin contacting me so that I can discuss the situation in more detail and most of all make it very, very clear we're trying everything we can to curb this stuff.

1) we disabled all new registrations for a while. now they are enabled, but a forum admin must enable them.

2) You must now post 5 times or more before you can send pms.

3) ill be putting flood control on as soon as ive finished writing this.

4) We have now got several modders who can ban people immediately, hopefully providing 24/7 coverage.

5) almsot all the suggestions here https://help.forumotion.com/t75418-my-forum-was-hacked have been put into effect

6) we will be deleting all inactive accounts over 12 months old and all accoutns that he may have created in a period of 3 months earlier this year.

We want to make it absolutely clear we hate this guy's actions and we do NOT want to be in trouble with forummotion.

If an admin could contact me ill provide more details. we woudl very much appreciate this.

thank you

Dormouse

I have another safety precaution on my little sister's board, which is an "application" form you must fill out.
Her board is also administrator activation only (it's targeted toward a younger audience, so security must be a #1 priority).

The form asks you to describe yourself, how you found us, etc. This way, you are given a warning light to suspicious accounts and you can disable their PM boxes temporarily to see if they are trustworthy.
Obviously, this form should be set to Adminstrator viewable only. Wink
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1391
Language : English, Spanish, Mandarin, C++

Back to top Go down

Post by DK July 30th 2012, 6:27 pm

Empire_1 wrote:
I have another safety precaution on my little sister's board, which is an "application" form you must fill out.
Her board is also administrator activation only (it's targeted toward a younger audience, so security must be a #1 priority).

The form asks you to describe yourself, how you found us, etc. This way, you are given a warning light to suspicious accounts and you can disable their PM boxes temporarily to see if they are trustworthy.
Obviously, this form should be set to Adminstrator viewable only. Wink

How do you add this?
EDIT: Nevermind figured it out.
DK
DK
Forumember

Male Posts : 609

http://ourworldhub.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by DM Dormouse July 30th 2012, 6:43 pm

Thank you very much for your replies. Appreciated.

Going to pm Sanket with the name of our boards and a few more details.
DM Dormouse

Back to top Go down

Post by DM Dormouse July 30th 2012, 7:44 pm

*coughs* Empire_1 or iLeo, how do I set that application form up? *blush*
DM Dormouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Empire_1 July 30th 2012, 7:49 pm

Please don't double/triple post. Your post need to be separated by 24 hours before bumping, replying or adding more information. Please use the edit button instead!

It's easy.
Go to ACP > Users & Usergroups > Profile

Create a text zone. Title it "Application into [Your Site Name Here]"
In the description, list out the things you want them to tell you.

Then, uncheck the options for displaying this in Profile or Messages.
Then set it up to viewable by Administrators only.
Save.

Now when a user registers, go to the Inactive Members list, check his application section. If his response is suspicious, you can choose to take whatever action you need (ignore, disable PM, accept, etc).

Be careful of deleting them however, since the system will notify by email to anyone who is deleted.

Edit: Member has contacted me. This thread can now be locked Smile
Empire_1
Empire_1
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1391
Language : English, Spanish, Mandarin, C++

Back to top Go down