The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

I would like some advice on resolution compatibility.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I would like some advice on resolution compatibility.

Post by Alexander Moore on August 8th 2012, 10:55 am

You see, my site looks totally different at different resolutions. Widgets get smashed, text overflows into places they shouldn't, etc.

For example, I have the Quad-Topic thing in my forum now. At MY resolution it looks fine. But at other people's resolutions the text for the forum descriptions is too long and overflows into the "Topics, Posts, Lastposts" lists. Widgets may also appear screwed up at lower res. Many features of the site may start over-lapping / piling on top of each-other as well. None of this are desired products of course.

Here, when you lower your res, text automatically does line breaks before it overflows. How is that?

Any advice on how to fix these problems?

Alexander Moore
Forumember

Male Posts : 210
Language : English (USA), Mandarin Chinese || HTML, CSS, Limited JavaScript.

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like some advice on resolution compatibility.

Post by LGforum on August 8th 2012, 2:08 pm

It's not to do with screen resolution, it depends on the user browsers window size.

Your CSS needs to be elastic, this means very little should be fixed widths.
You should read about the overflow property, the word-wrap and white-space properties, these will help solve your text issue.

LGforum
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2254
Language : English

http://www.avacweb.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: I would like some advice on resolution compatibility.

Post by Alexander Moore on August 8th 2012, 4:16 pm

I tried copying some of the tables I saw around that seemed to work with resolution changes, but in the end the HTML codes I got didn't work, so I figured "Must not be HTML then...".

Most of my site's CSS widths are written in percentages. The only thing that's using a pixel width right now is the forum widgets because there were complications with them being set to a percentage.

I'll look those terms up in W3 schools. I see overflow come up a lot - usually it's "overflow:hidden" for most of my CSS code. I don't know much about word-wrap though, and all I know about whitespace is that spaces are whitespace, and &nbs p; (without the space) is also a whitespace.

Thanks. Any further advice would be nice.

Alexander Moore
Forumember

Male Posts : 210
Language : English (USA), Mandarin Chinese || HTML, CSS, Limited JavaScript.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum