The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

3 Minutes (200 Seconds) A little much don't you think?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you think the flood control time should be lowered and/or more moderators should be chosen to maintain the forums and help keep spammers and ad bots away.

50% 50% 
[ 1 ]
50% 50% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 2

3 Minutes (200 Seconds) A little much don't you think?

Post by Derri on September 28th 2012, 8:30 pm

Okay.

I am well aware that this forum deals with spammers, ad bots and all that kind of stuff but honestly 3 minutes as a flood control is way too much. I find myself coming on here and I barely stay to help/ask my question because the time it takes between posts is really unbelievable.

I am on a few forums and they all receive spam, ad bots and all that kind of stuff and yet people deal with it by other methods than making the flood control 3 mins.

Hire some more moderators who is in charge of banning spammers and and keeping the support forum tidy it really wouldn't be hard challenge that way posters can post a little more freely and they might actually stay.

I would also like the admins/mods not to lock this because I would love to hear what other members and staff think of this as I think it is too extreme.

So my proposal is, if you don't want to hire more general moderators who keep the forums clean and tidy is just to lower it back to 30 seconds (I would like it be 20 but 30 is reasonable) and then deal with spam when and if it happens to me this is a fair thing and means people will stick around longer to help and post. I find it very annoying and even distracting at times and it really makes me want to go elsewhere to ask my questions and answer peoples questions because I find myself forgetting I am actually here I mean I spend about overall 10-12 mins just making 3 posts because including the time it takes me to type the post and then the waiting time it becomes really annoying and drawn out longer than what it needs to be.

I mean even if mods aren't hired I think the flood control should be lowered.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Re: 3 Minutes (200 Seconds) A little much don't you think?

Post by Derri on September 28th 2012, 9:07 pm

Rideem3 wrote:This is only temporary. No need to make a suggestion. Wink

Yeah and when it went up to a minute and then something like 2 mins it was only meant to be temporary. So really it only ever seems to get worse.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on September 28th 2012, 9:16 pm

Rideem3 wrote:Yes, this is only temporary due to the spam attacks.

Not sure why you would believe it not to be. Plus sarcasm isn't necessary.

You'll find that you will be hit with spam attacks non stop, sure it'll die down for awhile but in general they will perk up again.

The way to solve the problem isn't to increase the flood control for everyone but for the moderators to step up there game and tackle the problem head on. Doing this isn't going to stop spam attacks or slow them down.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on September 29th 2012, 7:31 pm

Rideem3 wrote:Do you know how a spambot works? When a spam not is sent to advertise whatever site, they have a list of a lot of sites, and not just one. If it visits a site and sees that it can't keep on posting, it will give up an move to the next site.

This helps to stop spam bots, however it doesn't stop it completely. We're working on figuring out how to do that.

So right now, patience is key. We apologize if this has interfered on your behalf, however we ask that you comply with us. Wink

I know how spambots work I moderate on a few forums including non forumotion forums and we do get spammed a lot by spam bots. However the issue is tackled by banning the spambot and then deleting the post. Not hindering users in posting. I mean a forum is about posting and 3 minutes between posts is very long time to wait. You think it makes spam bots give up. It can make users give up as well. I forget I am here quite a lot of the time because I am waiting to post and then forget I am here because I go to do other things while I wait.

The worst of it is, if I click the send button before 3 minutes are up I don't even get told how long I have to wait in order to post.

Overall the idea of 3 mins in the aid to tackle against spam bot is annoying for the users, spam bots will spam big deal, all you gotta do is ban it and then delete the posts....whats so hard about that? If you are worried about the staff not being able handle that then why don't you have more "General moderators" a new group that's tasked with doing the more trivial duties on FM where they lock threads and deal with spammers and general rule breakers. That would be a good start.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on September 29th 2012, 8:18 pm

This is just a temporary change to the support forum, we're currently working on something(codes) that will stop the spamming soon and we just need a little cooperation, and also, the issue of spam bots was reported already to The Godfather which I'm sure that they're taking actions soon.

And for hiring more "moderators", it's not easy find and hire/promote staff members because we have "high" requirements of hiring/promoting someone.

Please note that we're aware of this, and we do know that this is an annoying part to the members, we apologize for that but please be patient for us to find and implement the solution soon and for everything to be back to normal. Smile

Since this thread was already answered, I will close this topic now.

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Language : English

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum