The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Leviosa on February 5th 2013, 12:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi there ! Hello

What do you think about the new improvements on your Forumotion's forums ?

Very Happy

Leviosa
Administrator
Administrator

Female Posts : 15587
Reputation : 1589
Language : French, English

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down


Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by cecesaun1 on June 23rd 2013, 11:18 am

You can pay to have the ads removed.Smile

cecesaun1
Forumember

Female Posts : 147
Reputation : 0
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by user3822 on June 23rd 2013, 11:47 am

Is there anyway to revert back to the old editor?

edit: nevermind, I found it by scolling up to the guy with the transformers avatar.

user3822
New Member

Posts : 1
Reputation : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by The Highway Man on June 23rd 2013, 2:31 pm

@cecesaun1 wrote:You can pay to have the ads removed.Smile

Have you any idea of costs in £s to remove adverts?

The Highway Man
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : Cumbria, England

http://online-exiles.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Derri on June 23rd 2013, 3:16 pm

@The Highway Man wrote:
@cecesaun1 wrote:You can pay to have the ads removed.Smile

Have you any idea of costs in £s to remove adverts?  


You can change from Euros to pounds. To check the cost go to ACP --> Misc --> Credits --> Buy/obtain Credits --> See a drop down box, select pounds sterling and then hit validate, then you'll be able to see the cost of credits. 

Typically for a new forum you're looking at 100 credits to remove for members for one month and 200 for members and guests for a month. Although like I said, prices may vary.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by The Highway Man on June 23rd 2013, 5:01 pm

It doesn't give me a drop down box, I have to phone a premium rate number to get a code. I think I'll stick with adblock and advise my members the same. Wink

The Highway Man
Forumember

Male Posts : 44
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : Cumbria, England

http://online-exiles.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Mr.EasyBB on June 25th 2013, 9:30 pm

Man why did you guys have to change the smilies in the regular reply? Drop down was so much better!

Mr.EasyBB
Forumember

Posts : 69
Reputation : 9
Language : HTML/CSS/JS/JQUERY/MOOTOOLS

http://www.avacweb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by RedMomma5 on June 27th 2013, 9:21 am

I just added the new toolbar to see whether my members like using it.  I paid to get rid of the Forumotion copyright and decorated it.  I think it looks nice.  I didn't have to add any coding and I have phpBB2.  It appears to be working fine at this point.

I do have one question though and that is how do you change the width of the toolbar?  It is a bit too wide and I would like it to match the width of the page.  I have an area on either side of the part that scrolls that the toolbar extends into and I would prefer it didn't do that.

Thanks.

Oh, and one other thing, I have also deleted my custom template in order to bring my foe feature back (my thread on that got garbaged) and then added my custom coding back to the new revised template and both my "no negative vote" and the foe feature now work again.  This is a tip for anyone who faces things getting broken with updates.  Revert to default and then redo your custom coding.  It takes a little time but it does seem to fix things.  Also, my "hide banned members" seems to work even though I did not add the extra code for "custom templates" that was given.  I suspect this is because I reverted to the default and then added the code I wanted to change things.

RedMomma5
Forumember

Posts : 80
Reputation : 3
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by historian on July 4th 2013, 8:35 am

Has anyone else had problems with the dice roller? On my forum, now, the dice code will no longer come up.

historian
New Member

Posts : 2
Reputation : 1
Language : english

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by sourwolf on July 5th 2013, 12:46 pm

I tried finding the answer to this in a few threads so yeah... Is there a way to choose between the new and old editor?

sourwolf
New Member

Male Posts : 2
Reputation : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by SLGray on July 5th 2013, 4:34 pm

@sourwolf wrote:I tried finding the answer to this in a few threads so yeah... Is there a way to choose between the new and old editor?
No. They are not compatible.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639
Reputation : 2441
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Khaoz on July 21st 2013, 11:12 am

You say there have been "improvements" yet all I see is another addition to Forumotion making $$ off its members. Is this truly a free forum?
1. The amount of Advertisements have increased. -Payed to remove
2. Newer forums have to purchase template editing
3. Toolbar notification center is the only useful thing about the toolbar the rest of it is just extra rubbish thrown on a bar to sponsor forumotion - unless you purchase copywrite removal.
4. there are so little you can manage yourself with the toolbar. there is nothing that separates "welcome {username}" from the bar to actually show its click-able unless you throw a link line under it. (how are people meant to know its clickable?)
5. you give the css codes to hide certain parts of the toolbar (share) but disallow those same css codes to remove your copywrite. zz' hiding share + search without the forumoution copywrite = long useless bar across the page which cant be resized or moved to different corners of page. ehhh
6/10 - is my rating

Khaoz
Forumember

Posts : 48
Reputation : 4
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by runawayhorses on July 21st 2013, 2:06 pm

@Khaoz wrote:1. The amount of Advertisements have increased. -Payed to remove
That's called "inflation", its an economic reality.

@Khaoz wrote:2. Newer forums have to purchase template editing
I'm not aware of any version of forumotion forum that requires you to purchase template editing before you edit the template, please explain.

@Khaoz wrote:3. Toolbar notification center is the only useful thing about the toolbar the rest of it is just extra rubbish thrown on a bar to sponsor forumotion - unless you purchase copywrite removal.
That;s not correct, the "Welcome" drop-down menu and the contents (links) inside has nothing to do with forumotion sponsorship, furthermore the "Share" button functions have nothing to do with forumotion sponsorships directly, those are to help promote YOUR forum to help you reach a wider audience if you so choose. The ability to remove the "share" buttons and there function has been made available to everyone.

@Khaoz wrote:4. there are so little you can manage yourself with the toolbar. there is nothing that separates "welcome {username}" from the bar to actually show its click-able unless you throw a link line under it. (how are people meant to know its clickable?)
The toolbar is very customizable with CSS and javascript. Toolbars are not an uncommon feature and can be found on many popular website servers such as "Wordpress.com", facebook.com, twitter.com", all have toolbars with clickable names on them, I would suggest that if you don't think its obvious enough its a link then the same can be said to all the other popular servers, so they are doing it wrong too.. I think it goes without saying the welcome name is clickable, you'd have to be living in a closet not to know that. For the sake of argument, how would you make it overly obvious its a link? Change the text to "Click here"?

@Khaoz wrote:5. you give the css codes to hide certain parts of the toolbar (share) but disallow those same css codes to remove your copywrite. zz' hiding share + search without the forumoution copywrite = long useless bar across the page which cant be resized or moved to different corners of page. ehhh
6/10 - is my rating
The bar with the share and search removed could be replaced with your own custom links and/or your own drop-down menu, in addition the bar can be moved and resized. You would know this already if you applied yourself to learn what the toolbar is capable of by reading how to use CSS and javascript.

10/10 is my rating, I literally have nothing to complain about with the toolbar, it does what its suppose to do, what can I say.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by dogsmycopilot on July 21st 2013, 6:11 pm

Not a huge fan, but they don't get in the way or anything. I just didn't find I needed them.

dogsmycopilot
New Member

Posts : 2
Reputation : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Derri on July 21st 2013, 8:40 pm

@Khaoz wrote:
1. The amount of Advertisements have increased. -Payed to remove

@runawayhorses wrote:
@Khaoz wrote:1. The amount of Advertisements have increased. -Payed to remove
That's called "inflation", its an economic reality.

I haven't seen the number of ads increasing. Do you know what is the standard of ads are now? Like where they appear?

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by MousEarz on July 21st 2013, 9:32 pm

I'm glad to hear of the most recent updates & thank the team for continuing to work on everything. At this time, we still have no access to emoticons, font formatting, link inserts etc. via mobile & that is the biggest complaint I am continuing to hear from my forum members.

MousEarz
New Member

Female Posts : 20
Reputation : 1
Language : English

http://craftyus.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Captain Hunk on July 22nd 2013, 2:16 pm

I like the New Editor. Just waiting, like most still are, for the Tech Team to patch it up before I venture into modifying it some. For now, the default settings are the rule of the day.

Captain Hunk
Forumember

Male Posts : 129
Reputation : 5
Language : English
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by runawayhorses on July 27th 2013, 3:13 pm

@Derri wrote:I haven't seen the number of ads increasing. Do you know what is the standard of ads are now? Like where they appear?  
Where they appear is often times somewhere under the navigation bar, usually google banner ads about 800x60. I can't say I've seen an increase in ads because my forum doesn't get ads for members logged in. I think the OP that said that meant the price to remove them has increased, but I wouldn't know about that either because my forum is ad-free for life and it doesn't cost me anything. I've mentioned it before and I hate repeating it because it might be interpreted as bragging which its not meant to be, but for those that don't know its because my forum was created back in 2008 before forumotiuon had ads, so my forum was grandfathered in to never having ads for members logged in for life. Forumotion advertised themselves as not having any ads back then, so I applaud them for standing by that for the people who created there forums with that understanding.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by SLGray on July 27th 2013, 5:31 pm

@runawayhorses wrote:
@Derri wrote:I haven't seen the number of ads increasing. Do you know what is the standard of ads are now? Like where they appear?  
Where they appear is often times somewhere under the navigation bar, usually google banner ads about 800x60. I can't say I've seen an increase in ads because my forum doesn't get ads for members logged in. I think the OP that said that meant the price to remove them has increased, but I wouldn't know about that either because my forum is ad-free for life and it doesn't cost me anything. I've mentioned it before and I hate repeating it because it might be interpreted as bragging which its not meant to be, but for those that don't know its because my forum was created back in 2008 before forumotiuon had ads, so my forum was grandfathered in to never having ads for members logged in for life. Forumotion advertised themselves as not having any ads back then, so I applaud them for standing by that for the people who created there forums with that understanding.
There were ads in 2008, but there was an option to deactivated them which has since been removed.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639
Reputation : 2441
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Derri on July 27th 2013, 6:48 pm

@SLGray wrote:
@runawayhorses wrote:
@Derri wrote:I haven't seen the number of ads increasing. Do you know what is the standard of ads are now? Like where they appear?  
Where they appear is often times somewhere under the navigation bar, usually google banner ads about 800x60. I can't say I've seen an increase in ads because my forum doesn't get ads for members logged in. I think the OP that said that meant the price to remove them has increased, but I wouldn't know about that either because my forum is ad-free for life and it doesn't cost me anything. I've mentioned it before and I hate repeating it because it might be interpreted as bragging which its not meant to be, but for those that don't know its because my forum was created back in 2008 before forumotiuon had ads, so my forum was grandfathered in to never having ads for members logged in for life. Forumotion advertised themselves as not having any ads back then, so I applaud them for standing by that for the people who created there forums with that understanding.
There were ads in 2008, but there was an option to deactivated them which has since been removed.

Don't we now have links in the descriptions as well??

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by runawayhorses on July 27th 2013, 7:20 pm

@SLGray wrote:There were ads in 2008, but there was an option to deactivated them which has since been removed.
Ok thats pretty much the same thing, they advertised themselves as not having ads if you didn't want them, that option is still available for my forum and I have it set to only show them to guests.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by SLGray on July 27th 2013, 8:00 pm

@Derri wrote:Don't we now have links in the descriptions as well??
Some communities do have ads at the bottom of the forum.

P.S. Also there are ads in the profiles.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639
Reputation : 2441
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Derri on July 27th 2013, 8:06 pm

@SLGray wrote:
@Derri wrote:Don't we now have links in the descriptions as well??
Some communities do have ads at the bottom of the forum.

P.S.  Also there are ads in the profiles.

Do we not now have text links ads in the forum description I heard Forumotion was testing that out.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by SLGray on July 27th 2013, 8:15 pm

@Derri wrote:
@SLGray wrote:
@Derri wrote:Don't we now have links in the descriptions as well??
Some communities do have ads at the bottom of the forum.

P.S.  Also there are ads in the profiles.

Do we not now have text links ads in the forum description I heard Forumotion was testing that out.
Yes, there is a new ad system that turns words into ad links.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639
Reputation : 2441
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Derri on July 27th 2013, 8:21 pm

@SLGray wrote:
@Derri wrote:
@SLGray wrote:
@Derri wrote:Don't we now have links in the descriptions as well??
Some communities do have ads at the bottom of the forum.

P.S.  Also there are ads in the profiles.

Do we not now have text links ads in the forum description I heard Forumotion was testing that out.
Yes, there is a new ad system that turns words into ad links.

Is that removed when you pay credits do you know?

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Reputation : 576
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by SLGray on July 27th 2013, 8:24 pm

I believe using credits to remove ads will affect all ad systems used by Forumotion.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639
Reputation : 2441
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Khaoz on July 27th 2013, 8:31 pm

I hate ads but thats the only way companies make money. its also the purpose that internet was ever invented in the first place. but ya I knew you could delete the ads with creds. and I did mean that there are more places that ads are popping up throughout the newer boards. i miss the option back when you could limit them/remove them without paying. ha but ya, The new system is alright and all but some of it is overly done. especially boards that add their own adds ontop of forumotions (i've came across 2 websites where their page was embeded with nothing but adds/instant popups/etc) from randomly clicking on forums that have recent activity.

Khaoz
Forumember

Posts : 48
Reputation : 4
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by runawayhorses on July 27th 2013, 8:51 pm

Slg, just to be clear so I know, are you saying that the new forums don't have this option to only show the ads to guests that I highlighted in red in for free? You can see from this screenshot my forum which is 5 years old has the option to only show the ads to guests, and thats what I have it set for.

https://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/18/18/57/76/ads10.jpg


runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by SLGray on July 27th 2013, 9:36 pm

@runawayhorses wrote:Slg, just to be clear so I know, are you saying that the new forums don't have this option to only show the ads to guests that I highlighted in red in for free? You can see from this screenshot my forum which is 5 years old has the option to only show the ads to guests, and thats what I have it set for.

https://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/18/18/57/76/ads10.jpg

Correct.  That option (guests only) is no longer available after 2008.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639
Reputation : 2441
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by runawayhorses on July 27th 2013, 9:50 pm

Ok that's what I thought just wanted to be sure in case someone asks me.

I just now turned off (No) "Text ads activation for guests(underlined)" because after reading what those are I don't want my guests seeing those. I don't like those kind of ads that make links out of your words, so I turned that off.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by SLGray on July 27th 2013, 10:05 pm

That is one tip I would give everyone:

Take sometime and really go through the whole administration panel, you will be surprise at the many options are available to founders.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36639
Reputation : 2441
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum