The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

+142
BrunoH.
Kiyomizu
patiogardener
ddoesmc
HrvojeP
KennyWD
mclechelle
eejiro12
Captain Hunk
MousEarz
dogsmycopilot
Khaoz
sourwolf
historian
RedMomma5
The Highway Man
user3822
ILikeApples
jimmyborregaard
HarleyThomas
Hopalong
alicia
margierose
Ultron's Vision
Menos
GrahamR
paor
E-Mark
nitroengine
boywonder
RsS.YuGi
lustromlingmech
wrap
Yous000
Marvin
Base
TruVampire
Baneus
Kryn Cluskio
Kaoru Shiratori
Spyro Dragon™
DK
yorkiegirl
Yun
EP3577
Selvester
DestinysGrace
SophieDophs
NiteSpinR
Mr.EasyBB
saltarski
Syndicate
JazeonX
Tara09
Calidae
babe16
Ronnytigs
Codyy
anastas95
SerahNoel
leonidas
angel_of_night
sasukekun
ShowStopper
Richardr
Willyrka
Rhino.Freak
Shadow Wolf75
Jingles Magic
Fehrat123
probidthetalk
Snack.Love
roberts1223
DHX
dcj91x
phutu01
Sir. Mayo
gameface101
mcheartz@gmail.com
AbbieBear
Richsballpythons
cecesaun1
serviceteam
psjamie
Dalekk7
That Admin Person
Sky Serpent
Holden Huffaker
NGOLIO
Asteroid35
Sir Chivas™
Rukiafan
tugatech
batman_il
dotdotdot
sfoop
Derri
Rogo
hart123
nextlevelgaming
Charisma Clash
Ape
Alexaderr
Talk
Tonight
Mariofan13
levy
FairyTailRP
EndlessDream
BL@DE
Stewartw
Ivo94
Jophy
udarsha45
Macca_96
bob77707
Usui
usmc80
RPM
WickedSoul
Asriel
belokniznik
bucnong
Neymar1
tommycoo
Yuri Sophie
JAN2XONLINE
runawayhorses
LostLegend
Sanket
S-t-e-v-e-
Aconitin
Juskteez
SLGray
!_NICK_!
JennyorAlice
RadioHead
mioshi11
ANGrey
iPur3Talent
Shadow
146 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

New Forumotion updates : your opinion !  - Page 3 Empty New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Shadow February 5th 2013, 12:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi there ! Hello

What do you think about the new improvements on your Forumotion's forums ?

Very Happy
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

New Forumotion updates : your opinion !  - Page 3 Empty Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by Neymar1 February 8th 2013, 11:39 am

udarsha45 wrote:The new tool bar feature is very useful! However I wish that it could be movable. You know like having a feature where you can place it where ever you want than keeping it up. Ex: down, sideways, etc.

You could move it.

Edit: Just another quick question. How much are we actually allowed to edit this bar? That hasn't really been made too clear. For example, are we allowed to remove the Share links, the search bar etc. and even take it apart and add our own little bits to it?
Neymar1
Neymar1
Forumember

Male Posts : 406
Language : HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript

http://www.simplyfifa.com

Back to top Go down

New Forumotion updates : your opinion !  - Page 3 Empty Re: New Forumotion updates : your opinion !

Post by runawayhorses February 8th 2013, 2:38 pm

Neymar1 wrote:Someone's going for FM brownie points. Razz Do they really need to stamp their markings on a feature that they made? Are they really proud of it or something?
No I wasn't going for "brownie" points as you so eloquently put it, I felt that they deserved something nice to be said after all the negativity, after all people worked on this thing hoping people would like it, some feelings are at stake here. How would you like it if everyone trashed your work? Yes I think they are proud of it I would be if I could create something like that, wouldn't you?

Neymar1 wrote:I wouldn't say that's true. I've had brilliant features from LGforum which are a thousand times better than this and have the necessary copyright messages in places, not a big link to his forum that's the first thing you seen upon entry to the site...
A thousand? really, that's seems like a lot. Forumotion's copyright is all over the place they don't need to point it at everything single thing they do to there pages because its already there, the toolbar is part of the Administration Panel.

Neymar1 wrote:Also, the real-time notifications are good as you said, but there's certainly a server being destroyed somewhere out there, and we're already getting errors on that.
That's forumotions problem don't you think? Are you suggesting they should trash the whole project because some problems need to be ironed out? Or what was your point in pointing that out, was it constructive criticism you wanted to project? Yes I'm sure that was it.

Neymar1 wrote:Let's see what they see anyway, but from what LG said in the previous page regarding copyright of the image and link, or lack of...is the conclusion not going to be irrelevant anyway?
Yes its irrelevant when the copyrights are already in place for the entire forum, there is no need to place another one just for a toolbar that they implemented on there sever as an upgrade to the Administration panel.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Language : English

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 February 8th 2013, 2:48 pm

As I've said before. This is potentially a GREAT feature and I would love to use it on my forum at some point.

I may have been proud of creating something like that, but I'm pretty sure people would be angry if it was necessary to have a link to my site on it...I wouldn't do that anyway. Can you explain how I/anyone else who has questioned the use of a big link on it are trashing their work?

A thousand times better is a figure of speech...well...actually... I still stand by that.

"Forumotion's copyright is all over the place they don't need to point it at everything single thing they do to there pages because its already there, the toolbar is part of the Administration Panel."

I can't decipher that. What do you mean?

"Or what was your point in pointing that out, was it constructive criticism you wanted to project? Yes I'm sure that was it. "

I was just saying. It seemed pretty cool that it updates in real-time but it must be pretty heavy on the server.

From your last bit, so do you agree with the others who think this link is kinda strange?

... Razz
Neymar1
Neymar1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses February 8th 2013, 3:31 pm

Neymar1 wrote:As I've said before. This is potentially a GREAT feature and I would love to use it on my forum at some point.
It already is a GREAT feature, no one is stopping you from adding it now.

Neymar1 wrote: I may have been proud of creating something like that, but I'm pretty sure people would be angry if it was necessary to have a link to my site on it...I wouldn't do that anyway. Can you explain how I/anyone else who has questioned the use of a big link on it are trashing their work?
Yes I'd be delighted to explain it to you. When you said the word "stupid" that is considered uncomplimentary:
Neymar1 wrote:Oh. I probably won't be adding this then..as it looks kinda stupid with that link there.

Neymar1 wrote: I'm pretty sure people would be angry if it was necessary to have a link to my site on it...I wouldn't do that anyway. Can you explain how I/anyone else who has questioned the use of a big link on it are trashing their work?
Your forum IS there site, they own it, they are not adding a link to another site, they are adding a link to another one of there pages.

Neymar1 wrote:A thousand times better is a figure of speech...well...actually... I still stand by that.
Oh you stand by that obvious exaggeration, out of respect for the person you are referring to I will not comment any farther on that.

Neymar1 wrote:"Forumotion's copyright is all over the place they don't need to point it at everything single thing they do to there pages because its already there, the toolbar is part of the Administration Panel."

Do you question the copyright of forumotion's designs and work? The toolbar is part of there already existing copyrights. It is not a toolbar that you can get at places like yahoo or google, its a "in-house" toolbar for there forums that you install via the Administration panel.

Neymar1 wrote:I was just saying. It seemed pretty cool that it updates in real-time but it must be pretty heavy on the server.
Yes we know what you said, its the reason behind it that's in question, considering your complaints thus far its safe to say it was meant as an attempt to discredit the work of the toolbar yet again. A "cheap-shot" if you will.

Neymar1 wrote:so do you agree with the others who think this link is kinda strange?
No I do not agree, there is nothing strange about adding a link to another page of your site, to make visitors and members aware that they can use there service too if they would like. Nothing strange about that at all. Your forum is not really your forum, forumotion owns it, so no it is not strange for a link to be on there forum.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 February 8th 2013, 3:40 pm

runawayhorses wrote:The toolbar is part of there already existing copyrights. It is not a toolbar that you can get at places like yahoo or google, its a "in-house" toolbar for there forums that you install via the Administration panel.

EXACTLY. Why do they need to have a big copyright link when they've clearly got enough on the site already. It's a built in forumotion feature from the admin panel, it doesn't need an flippin advert. If they started copyrighting and showing their love for all the features they've created we'd be drowning in "forumotion" links right now.

That's all I need to say. You aren't making any sense and moaning at each other isn't going to solve anything. All we're waiting for is a confirmation from the tech's or whoever is being asked. I'm not in any rush to be honest either.
Neymar1
Neymar1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy February 8th 2013, 4:37 pm

Hello, May I remind you guys to stay on topic, we accept your opinions about this new feature, but let's stay away from heated arguments as far as possible, if you have suggestions, then please post it on the suggestion section, if you wish to continue this conversation, please do so on PM. Wink Thanks.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 February 8th 2013, 5:02 pm

Jophy wrote:Hello, May I remind you guys to stay on topic, we accept your opinions about this new feature, but let's stay away from heated arguments as far as possible, if you have suggestions, then please post it on the suggestion section, if you wish to continue this conversation, please do so on PM. Wink Thanks.

Sorry if it seemed heated, it wasn't supposed to be. Is this not on topic though?
Neymar1
Neymar1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy February 8th 2013, 5:07 pm

We're asking for your opinions Wink And let's not get far by bashing each other through heated messages towards a member.

This message does not require a reply. Back on topic.
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 February 8th 2013, 6:52 pm

It certainly looks like a very nice, useful feature and I really look forward to using it on my forum. I especially like the Notifications feature, I found that very useful today while posting on the support forum.

Just a side note, Runawayhorses and I are great friends. We were just brainstorming. Hopefully our opinions were useful. Smile
Neymar1
Neymar1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivo94 February 8th 2013, 7:24 pm

Macca_96 wrote:Toolbar is nice just needs to be customized. As everybody keeps saying, the Forumotion link needs to go, there needs to be options to display which social links you want, or at all. I like the Notifications. This imo needs to display which topic was replied to instead of "watched topic". Times would be nice to.
I agree, customizing would be nice! The toolbar looks very good; the notifications are a great addition.
I think removing the social buttons would be a nice option, however. And the search box may look better if it's just slightly smaller at the bottom! Wink
Another idea: place it above the page, instead of on the page. As you see, the forum banner slightly 'hides' under it now.

But I'll say it again: this is a big step forward, thanks! Very Happy
Ivo94
Forumember

Male Posts : 84
Language : English, Dutch

http://septemberfans.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses February 8th 2013, 9:04 pm

Neymar1 wrote: Just a side note, Runawayhorses and I are great friends. We were just brainstorming. Hopefully our opinions were useful. Smile
Yeah Neymar and I are pals, hes a cool dude. What you will discover Neymar if you havent already, is if anyone disagrees with each other and makes points for there position in a discussion, it is quickly reguarded as a "heated argument" or "bashing", its even been considered starting a "flame war". These are not real discussion forums by any stretch of the imagination, because they do not permit people to support there position on the issues, you must bow down to any comments made that are opposite of your own. You may not retort and defend your position.

With that said, I will not be posting in these "Discussion forums" again because they do not permit discussions unless everyone agrees with each other.

With reguards to Jophy, I know you are just doing your job, you are in no way at fault for keeping the order in which your were told to do, I hold nothing against you for that if you felt you were just doing your job, of course.

Now, if I'm lucky I can walk away from this without a warning for not posting my opinion that is directly related to the update and staying on topic. If I get one, so be it, but I felt it was my obligation and right to explain myself after being accused of participating in a "Heated Argument" or "Bashing" someone, or even participating in a flame war, which I wasn't. I was replying back with a response like people do in a discussion, defending my position and expressing my opinion, which I will no longer do here on this forum anywhere.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

New Forumotion updates : your opinion !  - Page 3 Empty lol

Post by Stewartw February 8th 2013, 10:03 pm

runawayhorses wrote:
Neymar1 wrote:As I've said before. This is potentially a GREAT feature and I would love to use it on my forum at some point.
It already is a GREAT feature, no one is stopping you from adding it now.

Neymar1 wrote: I may have been proud of creating something like that, but I'm pretty sure people would be angry if it was necessary to have a link to my site on it...I wouldn't do that anyway. Can you explain how I/anyone else who has questioned the use of a big link on it are trashing their work?
Yes I'd be delighted to explain it to you. When you said the word "stupid" that is considered uncomplimentary:
Neymar1 wrote:Oh. I probably won't be adding this then..as it looks kinda stupid with that link there.

Neymar1 wrote: I'm pretty sure people would be angry if it was necessary to have a link to my site on it...I wouldn't do that anyway. Can you explain how I/anyone else who has questioned the use of a big link on it are trashing their work?
Your forum IS there site, they own it, they are not adding a link to another site, they are adding a link to another one of there pages.

Neymar1 wrote:A thousand times better is a figure of speech...well...actually... I still stand by that.
Oh you stand by that obvious exaggeration, out of respect for the person you are referring to I will not comment any farther on that.

Neymar1 wrote:"Forumotion's copyright is all over the place they don't need to point it at everything single thing they do to there pages because its already there, the toolbar is part of the Administration Panel."

Do you question the copyright of forumotion's designs and work? The toolbar is part of there already existing copyrights. It is not a toolbar that you can get at places like yahoo or google, its a "in-house" toolbar for there forums that you install via the Administration panel.

Neymar1 wrote:I was just saying. It seemed pretty cool that it updates in real-time but it must be pretty heavy on the server.
Yes we know what you said, its the reason behind it that's in question, considering your complaints thus far its safe to say it was meant as an attempt to discredit the work of the toolbar yet again. A "cheap-shot" if you will.

Neymar1 wrote:so do you agree with the others who think this link is kinda strange?
No I do not agree, there is nothing strange about adding a link to another page of your site, to make visitors and members aware that they can use there service too if they would like. Nothing strange about that at all. Your forum is not really your forum, forumotion owns it, so no it is not strange for a link to be on there forum.

i agree with Neymar1

this bar would be good, if it wasnt for the rubbish look in comparison to my forum and the stupid ads for forumotion,

tell whats the point in having a forum, paying for ads to be removed, the footer and a personal domain just to add a feature that tells every 1 thats your hosted on a free site ? its crazy !!!!

i added this tool bar for all of about 30 seconds and the i removed it, there is a much better toolbar i have installed on my forum that dont require me to advertise FM or any other site, i can style it anyway i want , i can add / remove anything i want,

i was so exited about the update, but now im just sad that it was such a let down,

i wont be using this , instead i will be keeping the 1 i already have on my forum witch does the same stuff

Last edited by Stewartw on February 8th 2013, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stewartw

Language : Cardiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewartw February 8th 2013, 10:15 pm

yes but i chose to pay the extra cash to remove ads footer links and a personal domain so it would kinda be stupid for me to add a new feature that has an advert in it, even my members hated it lol

anyway if ppl like it thats cool, i dont so that should also be cool, the post about the new updates told me to come here and post my opinion so thats what ive done , not my fault that i dnt like it, and im guessing by the endless amount of negative posts on different sites ive read about it im not the only 1 with this opinion
Stewartw

Language : Cardiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Macca_96 February 9th 2013, 12:11 am

I like it. BUT slicker features could be added like making the dropdown slide out rather then pop out. Do we post suggestions here? If so, the Notifications pulldown should say which topic instead of just 'watched topic'. Also needs an option to clear all notifications. And the option to eliminate unnecessary fields like search and the social links that aren't required. I would like just a favicom-sized image of the notifications that is fixed at the bottem right corner. Please move if its in the wrong section
Macca_96
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by JAN2XONLINE February 9th 2013, 12:32 am

Rideem3 wrote:You can already remove the search and share links by putting this in your CSS:
Code:
#fa_search, #fa_share {
display: none;
}

You can even change the toggle type to slide, fade, etc:
Put this in your CSS StyleSheet:
Code:
#fa_right.welcome #fa_menu ul {
display: none;
}

And this in a JavaScript placed in all pages for the slide effect:
Code:
$(window).load(function () {
    $('#fa_welcome').click(function () {
        $('#fa_menulist').slideToggle();
    });
});

Or this for a fade effect:
Code:
$(window).load(function () {
    $('#fa_welcome').click(function () {
        $('#fa_menulist').fadeToggle();
    });
});

The code for removing search and share buttons is not working for me. :|
JAN2XONLINE
JAN2XONLINE
Forumember

Male Posts : 943
Language : Tagalog, English

http://animeph.4umer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JAN2XONLINE February 9th 2013, 12:36 am

^
Still there. Confused
JAN2XONLINE
JAN2XONLINE
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by JAN2XONLINE February 9th 2013, 12:40 am

Rideem3 wrote:Hit CTRL + F5. Make sure your using this:
Code:
#fa_search, #fa_share {
display: none !important;
}

Works now! Thanks.
JAN2XONLINE
JAN2XONLINE
Forumember

Back to top Go down

New Forumotion updates : your opinion !  - Page 3 Empty re: toolbar

Post by Guest February 9th 2013, 1:33 am

I know that forumotion is a free host but i dont like advertising the fact.

Being on welfare is fine if that is the best you could do but would you like wearing a sign in public saying that you are on welfare?

People join forums that they perceive as being professional. What if facebook was based on some free site that someone slapped together....? I think it wouldnt be as popular. Im cool with the footer being spammed with links but the header is a different story. When will it stop?

Last edited by adukes_007 on February 9th 2013, 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by BL@DE February 9th 2013, 1:44 am

i like the new updates. u have done a very good job Very Happy
BL@DE
Forumember

Male Posts : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by EndlessDream February 9th 2013, 1:44 am

1. Customization of the "Forum in construction" option,
2. Optimization of the personalized templates management with the possibility to deactivate it in one click,
3. Hide automatically the messages from banned members,

Very usefull improvements and you have a big plus on that.... however, I really don't like this toolbar and especially that Forumotion link.
In my opinion "Notifications" should be in navigation bar or at least in "profile" sub-menu, because like I said, I really don't like toolbar and I find it in one way, very annoying.
EndlessDream
EndlessDream
Forumember

Male Posts : 107
Language : English, Spanish, Serbian

Back to top Go down

Post by FairyTailRP February 9th 2013, 12:13 pm

I like the updates - especially the toolbar. It would be nice to further customize the toolbar - as I don't really want the facebook, twitter, google plus, etc functions. Or at least not all of them.
FairyTailRP
FairyTailRP
Forumember

Language : English, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese

http://www.fairytail-rp.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 February 9th 2013, 12:42 pm

You can remove those with some CSS.
Neymar1
Neymar1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by FairyTailRP February 9th 2013, 1:00 pm

Frankly I'm not very good with CSS. :/
FairyTailRP
FairyTailRP
Forumember

Language : English, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese

http://www.fairytail-rp.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivo94 February 9th 2013, 1:12 pm

I see the search box is slightly smaller now, haha! Thanks! Wink
Good to see there's a code that removes the social buttons as well.

The only thing left that may be changed is that the toolbar is above the page, rather than on the page (the banner is slightly unvisible now).

Keep it up! thumleft

EDIT: By the way, an option to remove all notifications would be nice as well. And how about your avatar on the toolbar as well? Just some ideas. Wink
Ivo94
Forumember

Male Posts : 84
Language : English, Dutch

http://septemberfans.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 February 9th 2013, 2:11 pm

FairyTailRP wrote:Frankly I'm not very good with CSS. :/

I'm on my phone right now. If someone hasn't shown you by later today, I will.

Ivo94 wrote:I see the search box is slightly smaller now, haha! Thanks! Wink
Good to see there's a code that removes the social buttons as well.

The only thing left that may be changed is that the toolbar is above the page, rather than on the page (the banner is slightly unvisible now).

Keep it up! thumleft

EDIT: By the way, an option to remove all notifications would be nice as well. And how about your avatar on the toolbar as well? Just some ideas. Wink

For your second paragraph, add this to your CSS and adjust the 33px to your liking:

Code:
.conteneur_layout_IE {
  margin-top: 33px;
}
Neymar1
Neymar1
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by levy February 9th 2013, 3:34 pm

I don't like the navigation bar for exemple in that forum ,i don't know why exist them , agglomerate the layout ...but it's ok for others forums.
levy
levy
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2632
Language : English, Romanian

https://portofolio.goodforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariofan13 February 9th 2013, 4:01 pm

It's a good update. Thank you.
But I don't like the copyright link, it is too big. In the footer are enough forumotion links. Why there must be a very big one in the toolbar?
Is it allowed to change the style of the copyright link like I did in my forum? Or is this against the ToS?
Mariofan13
Mariofan13
Forumember

Male Posts : 188
Language : German, English, Latin, 1337, HTML, CSS, BBCode, Wikitext

http://mario-forum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 9th 2013, 4:26 pm

Mariofan13 wrote:It's a good update. Thank you.
But I don't like the copyright link, it is too big. In the footer are enough forumotion links. Why there must be a very big one in the toolbar?
Is it allowed to change the style of the copyright link like I did in my forum? Or is this against the ToS?

At this time, it is against the ToS to remove the copyright link in the toolbar and it is recommended not to do anything with it. The staff are still currently trying to decide what to do in this matter, so please be patient and look forward to future announcements from the administrators. =) Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mariofan13 February 9th 2013, 4:30 pm

I didn't remove it, because I know that removing the link or icon is against the ToS. Because the white link doesn't match with teh style of my forum, I changed the color of the link and the hover effect with CSS, but i DIDN'T REMOVE it Wink
Mariofan13
Mariofan13
Forumember

Male Posts : 188
Language : German, English, Latin, 1337, HTML, CSS, BBCode, Wikitext

http://mario-forum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest February 9th 2013, 4:37 pm

Awesome! Well, I do not think there is anything against that, but I'm sure an admin or manager will be able to clarify when they are on. =)

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next