The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Latest posts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bring back wild card function for latest posts

89% 89% 
[ 17 ]
11% 11% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 19

Latest posts

Post by usmc80 on February 12th 2013, 5:50 pm

We need the wildcard back for latest post button. This is slowly killing our forum

usmc80

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Re: Latest posts

Post by getagrip on February 12th 2013, 6:21 pm

yes please, it is too useful to lose Smile

getagrip

Male Posts : 6

http://www.dartsnutz.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlock101 on February 12th 2013, 6:37 pm

@getagrip wrote:yes please, it is too useful to lose Smile
For Gods sake yes - even if its the last 48-72 hrs - other forums stealing our members left and right.

Warlock101

Language : Darts Player

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL on February 13th 2013, 1:55 am

It is ridiculous that they keep removing it. Check my posts and see how many times I have complained about it. They simply do not care

ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by fionn320 on February 13th 2013, 10:25 pm

If the Latest Topics sidebar took you to the first unread post in the topic instead of the last post on the topic, that would be all my roleplaying forum needs.

fionn320

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by usmc80 on February 15th 2013, 2:37 pm

need your votes guys/gals. It's a must have feature

usmc80

Back to top Go down

Post by TrollT on February 20th 2013, 3:11 am

YES

I've been advising this on forums from which I have departed for reason of not having this feature for years.

The forums which have this feature (the ability to summon up posts which one has not yet seen (esp. with an ability to check them as 'read' or 'leave as unread' or 'mark as read') will dominate. Those which ignore its value will become moribund.

Those who seek to consistently use a forum for communication need this if they want to stay on top of posting in any capacity, since having to 'roam' to find newer posts, or look at just posts which are unanswered, or just focus on one's own or another user's postings, are all inefficient in relation to readings and posting time and effort.

As has been suggested, 'posts that have (actually) not yet been read', chronologically arranged, would serve as a possible alternative, and icons for 'hot (active) topics' barely supplement during roaming (frequency ('hotness') intrudes into and displaces the most recent compilation or combination of subforums).

Ideally this feature would either follow from, or proceed as a parallel for, the 'Search' such that parameters like period of time, check-boxed subforums, and specified posters (e.g. friends, or favourites, etc.) would return a refined list of posts in brief which one could then expand, interior to that found set.

PLEASE install (bring back?) the 'Latest Posts' and make it properly fail to 'reset' except between logouts or according to preferences specified by the user (i.e. after a period of days, or as of login, etc.).

TrollT

Language : British English

Back to top Go down

Post by usmc80 on February 20th 2013, 2:29 pm

@TrollT wrote:YES

I've been advising this on forums from which I have departed for reason of not having this feature for years.

The forums which have this feature (the ability to summon up posts which one has not yet seen (esp. with an ability to check them as 'read' or 'leave as unread' or 'mark as read') will dominate. Those which ignore its value will become moribund.

Those who seek to consistently use a forum for communication need this if they want to stay on top of posting in any capacity, since having to 'roam' to find newer posts, or look at just posts which are unanswered, or just focus on one's own or another user's postings, are all inefficient in relation to readings and posting time and effort.

As has been suggested, 'posts that have (actually) not yet been read', chronologically arranged, would serve as a possible alternative, and icons for 'hot (active) topics' barely supplement during roaming (frequency ('hotness') intrudes into and displaces the most recent compilation or combination of subforums).

Ideally this feature would either follow from, or proceed as a parallel for, the 'Search' such that parameters like period of time, check-boxed subforums, and specified posters (e.g. friends, or favourites, etc.) would return a refined list of posts in brief which one could then expand, interior to that found set.

PLEASE install (bring back?) the 'Latest Posts' and make it properly fail to 'reset' except between logouts or according to preferences specified by the user (i.e. after a period of days, or as of login, etc.).

Wow, well said!

usmc80

Back to top Go down

Post by Bits N Bobs on February 22nd 2013, 11:31 am

the ability to summon up posts which one has not yet seen

This is vital for my forum and already I am getting bombarded with pm's and emails because members can no longer find them.

Bits N Bobs
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ on February 22nd 2013, 5:25 pm

You can always create a navigation button for it, and add this as the link:
/search?search_id=newposts

Voted yes, since it can be easily used.

Attention!
- Please provide your forum URL at all times.
- When the issue is solved, please mark it as solved.

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6756
Language : English, Spanish, and French

Back to top Go down

Post by fionn320 on February 24th 2013, 11:32 pm

CJ11, that gives you new posts since last visit, not unread posts.
If I log in for five minutes, but don't have time to read all the new posts, that resets the 'posts since last visit' tag. As the forum owner of a roleplaying forum, I often need to respond to several threads, but don't always have time to respond to everything every time I log in. Having a wildcard option lets me see the last few days of posts no matter how often I log in during that time.

fionn320

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Chivas™ on February 24th 2013, 11:34 pm

Then use this,
/search?search_id=unanswered

Attention!
- Please provide your forum URL at all times.
- When the issue is solved, please mark it as solved.

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6756
Language : English, Spanish, and French

Back to top Go down

Post by fionn320 on February 25th 2013, 1:05 am

That only shows the posts that nobody has responded to, i.e. topics with a single post.

fionn320

Back to top Go down

Post by usmc80 on February 27th 2013, 1:26 pm

@fionn320 wrote:CJ11, that gives you new posts since last visit, not unread posts.
If I log in for five minutes, but don't have time to read all the new posts, that resets the 'posts since last visit' tag. As the forum owner of a roleplaying forum, I often need to respond to several threads, but don't always have time to respond to everything every time I log in. Having a wildcard option lets me see the last few days of posts no matter how often I log in during that time.

Well said, exactly right. Its unfortunate but we are going to have to move now Sad

usmc80

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak on March 1st 2013, 11:09 am

what exactly is wild card system? tell me?

Rhino.Freak
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1243

http://freetest.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by fionn320 on March 3rd 2013, 4:02 am

A 'wildcard', as referenced in this topic, is the ability to search for all posts that meet the search criteria, instead of just posts by a single author. In the past, this has been accomplished by putting either * or *.* or some variant of that in the author field to bring up a list of posts in reverse chronological order (newest responses at the top of the page). This is different from the 'new posts since last visit' feature.

On my roleplaying forum, I have a sidebar that lists latest topics, but clicking on the topic titles only takes users to the last post in a particular topic. Having a wildcard search enabled users to bring up a full list and lets them click on a 'go to first unread post in this topic' button. I always limited my search to the last seven days and crafted a link for users of my forum with that limitation built in, but I understand not everyone does that.

Because not every user of a Forumotion forum limited their search to a specific time period, they would bring up a list of absolutely every topic in a given forum. As you can imagine, for a long-running and active forum this could be tens of thousands of topics. This was causing server errors, so the techs decided to completely disable, rather than limit, the wildcard search feature.

I would like Forumotion to bring back a wildcard search function, even if they limited it to the last week, or the last 25 topics (25 is an example and might not be enough for some very active forums). Alternately, if the Latest Topics sidebar took users to the first unread post in a topic, that would serve the same function for me.

fionn320

Back to top Go down

Help and iam sorry

Post by fonixportal on March 5th 2013, 4:18 pm

iam sorry not good speak english

Hi I have a big trouble namely it that Latest sneaks in on my side topic into the forum ime the picture http://kepfeltoltes.hu/130304/Kep_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg this is on the left side how it would be possible to draw the text together his box greet otherwise sorry if I did not are in little well in English I can because I am Hungarian. bwi

fonixportal

Language : Hungary

http://coolwarez.stationforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thepinkplace on March 26th 2013, 12:46 pm

I can't vote but I would love if the wildcard function would be reactivated. I would pay to have this function.

thepinkplace

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by ELITECASUAL on April 1st 2013, 2:50 am

When is this being sorted????? My forum has practically died. I've had 4 posts this week. 3 of them asking why the 'new post' function ain't working.......

ELITECASUAL
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on May 15th 2014, 7:00 am

The beginner of the topic must explain what his suggestion is all about. There should be more details for the techs to understand what you are trying to suggest.

This suggestion is refused.

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum