The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Form/Download with Information

3 posters

Go down

Form/Download with Information Empty Form/Download with Information

Post by DesignersSociety March 14th 2013, 23:22

I am trying to create a system on my site gallery so that members can buy certain images in the gallery. I have figured out how to setup the download link for each one that they want, but Im having trouble finding a way to get the information I need to deduct their points. What I am after is their username and the image they are trying to buy, I need this information to deduct points and update their profile of purchases. So what I need is coding to setup a form with that information, or if possible a way to see what specific page they were on (in replacement for them having to fill out what image it was) Then when they click the buy button it submits the information and downloads the image to their computer. Now I already know the part for it saving to their computer just gotta incorporate it with the submission at the same time(so they get their download right away without any cheating). If anyone has any suggestions of coding to create this let me know. Something similar the edit/display of info for images (such as the title and description), but the info displayed like on a private page for me or something? I'm relatively good with codes and done tons on my own so you don't have to baby step me through it really, just any coding you can provide!
DesignersSociety
DesignersSociety
Forumember

Female Posts : 146
Language : english

http://designerssociety.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Form/Download with Information Empty Re: Form/Download with Information

Post by Darth Apple March 15th 2013, 01:16

This could all be done with some PHP. The problem is that forumotion doesn't allow PHP to be uploaded to the server, so you'd have to host that on an external server. It all depends on how important integration with your forum is.
Darth Apple
Darth Apple
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by DesignersSociety March 15th 2013, 03:25

Well I couldn't figure out a way to add php so do you know a site I could host it specifically? Also really if there is a way to make it simple as how the editing info is setup for images. By this I mean how when you edit there is the title and description then the info shows up on the other page. If there is a way to do something like those fields and then maybe hide the actual info so I can access it. An email form would be nice but Im pretty sure that requires php also. Avoiding php would be my goal and if I really have to use it then is there a site to help?
DesignersSociety
DesignersSociety
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Apple March 15th 2013, 05:02

PHP is going to be an absolute must for what you want to do. As far as where to host it, I've seen PHP hosts, but I'd strongly advice avoiding them. You are much better off just finding a webhost. If your needs are small, finding a free webhost should do just find, as long as you don't attract too much attention from the host. (They are known to randomly delete stuff).

The main issue is that you couldn't integrate it with the user account used on the forum, since forumotion doesn't give database access. If you are creative, you can still make it feel integrated without it, but it does add the extra barrier involved. It's all about what your members want and expect for the whole experience.

As far as hiding information from the public, while still having those fields, that's simple PHP. If you can get a place to host your gallery, and the integration isn't a problem, programming it the way you want it shouldn't be too hard.
Darth Apple
Darth Apple
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray March 15th 2013, 05:35

You could create a section where your members post what they want and you can then deduct the points.

Form/Download with Information Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by DesignersSociety March 15th 2013, 05:55

Thank you Darth Apple for the advice, I really want to find a way to work with the gallery since it is integrated with their member info. I don't care if one of the parts of the form they have to put in their username really, it's easier than re-configuring the whole gallery then they have to enter their info even submitting stuff. Anyways I guess I would like to find a way to create a basic log of who downloads what images so then I deduct the points for the specific user. If you look I already have something similar but I couldn't get the submit button and download link together(leaving a loophole when they enter the info they can then download without submitting) http://designerssociety.betaboard.net/gallery/Member-Fashions/Fashions-For-Sale/Polka-Dress-pic_191.htm
I guess I mostly need a way to make that so they can't download without submitting. Also SLGray thanks for the advice but for this site I'm trying to make it pretty advanced as the members grow so i don't have to do so much manually. This way they can access the stuff right away and I just update the info later.
DesignersSociety
DesignersSociety
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Apple March 15th 2013, 14:05

If you use PHP to check to see if a form is submitted, you could just set a session variable to be 1 when the form is received. (Session variables are used to store information about each individual user, so they are perfect for this purpose.) Then in PHP, before sending the download link to the browser, you could check to make sure that the session variable is set to 1. If it is not, direct people to the submit form instead.

Since PHP cannot be put on forumotion forums, you'll still have to host it externally if you go that route. :/
Darth Apple
Darth Apple
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum