The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newly registered members become what to begin with?

4 posters

Go down

Solved Newly registered members become what to begin with?

Post by buggs April 10th 2013, 9:36 am

Hi all,

Firstly the forums are great, mostly very easy to use and administer.

I'm confused on one issue however:

I have 3 groups set up, admin (red), moderators (blue) and members (orange). However whenever someone new registers and before I assign them to one of the above groups they show as green on the member list but can see more of the forum than an unregistered guest so they don't seem to fit into any of the possible groups.

How (if at all) can I assign new registered people to go straight into the members group and what status does the new member have at the moment before I assign them manually?

Thanks,

Buggs
buggs

Male Posts : 11
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Newly registered members become what to begin with?

Post by koolkat96 April 10th 2013, 9:58 am

First, let's solve your problem regarding the newly registered users and the group. Follow this :-

Admin Panel > User and Groups Tab > In the sidebar, find Ranks > Rank Administration.

First of all, you need a rank image for groups to show the member that which group they are in. For now, try using one of the default ranks available. Follow this now :-

After you clicked Rank Administration, do this now :-

Rank Administration > Click on "Add a new rank" >

Rank Title = Members
Set a special rank = No
Minimum Posts = 0
Rank Image URL = Choose your URL or choose one of the default ones.

Click save then.

About the Minimum Posts, why you have to set it to 0 is because newly registered members have 0 posts so they would straight be put into the Members Rank. But to enter them into the group, you have to do it manually in this either two ways :-

1. Admin Panel > Users and Groups Tab > In the sidebar, find Users > Click "Search Users" > Enter the username of the user > Keep scrolling down till you get the sub-heading "Special admin-only fields" > Find "Rank Title" > And enter the group and click save.

2. Go to your forum's member list > Click on the username > This will lead you to her/his profile > Scroll down till you get "Administrate user : Profile" click on it and follow the above method.

Now, before you assign them their rank manually, they have no status. They will have no rank but will be able a post.

koolkat96
koolkat96
Forumember

Female Posts : 584

http://houkago-tea-time.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by buggs April 10th 2013, 12:32 pm

koolkat96 wrote:First, let's solve your problem regarding the newly registered users and the group. Follow this :-

Admin Panel > User and Groups Tab > In the sidebar, find Ranks > Rank Administration.

First of all, you need a rank image for groups to show the member that which group they are in. For now, try using one of the default ranks available. Follow this now :-

Rank Title = Members
Set a special rank = No
Minimum Posts = 0

Click save then.

About the Minimum Posts, why you have to set it to 0 is because newly registered members have 0 posts so they would straight be put into the Members Rank. But to enter them into the group, you have to do it manually in this either two ways :-

1. Admin Panel > Users and Groups Tab > In the sidebar, find Users > Click "Search Users" > Enter the username of the user > Keep scrolling down till you get the sub-heading "Special admin-only fields" > Find "Rank Title" > Newly registered members become what to begin with? Redface Newly registered members become what to begin with? Redface Newly registered members become what to begin with? Redface And enter the group and click save.

2. Go to your forum's member list > Click on the username > This will lead you to her/his profile > Scroll down till you get "Administrate user : Profile" click on it and follow the above method.

Now, before you assign them their rank manually, they have no status. They will have no rank but will be able a post.

Thanks for answering but I have an issue.

I got to where I've added the emotes above in the quote. When I clicked the drop-down box there the only options were no special rank and admin. What did you mean by enter the group?

Also this looks like it needs to be done separately for each person. Is there no way to automatically assign any newly self-registered member to a group between a guest and a full member to prevent anyone joining and damaging the forum?
buggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket April 10th 2013, 1:03 pm

Okay, lets clear this up.

Did you create a new group called members with auto subscribe of 0 posts?
Sanket
Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

Back to top Go down

Post by koolkat96 April 10th 2013, 1:12 pm

buggs wrote:
koolkat96 wrote:First, let's solve your problem regarding the newly registered users and the group. Follow this :-

Rank Title = Members
Set a special rank = No
Minimum Posts = 0

Click save then.

1. Admin Panel > Users and Groups Tab > In the sidebar, find Users > Click "Search Users" > Enter the username of the user > Keep scrolling down till you get the sub-heading "Special admin-only fields" > Find "Rank Title" > Newly registered members become what to begin with? Redface Newly registered members become what to begin with? Redface Newly registered members become what to begin with? Redface And enter the group and click save.

Thanks for answering but I have an issue.

I got to where I've added the emotes above in the quote. When I clicked the drop-down box there the only options were no special rank and admin. What did you mean by enter the group?

Also this looks like it needs to be done separately for each person. Is there no way to automatically assign any newly self-registered member to a group between a guest and a full member to prevent anyone joining and damaging the forum?

First of all, you have to create a group like Sanket said. Then follow the rest. Did you do that?

And yes, you have to do it manually for each member.
koolkat96
koolkat96
Forumember

Female Posts : 584

http://houkago-tea-time.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by buggs April 10th 2013, 1:41 pm

Sanket wrote:Okay, lets clear this up.

Did you create a new group called members with auto subscribe of 0 posts?

As in the OP I made 3 groups, admin (me), moderators and members and I've put people into each as they've registered. What I didn't do was give an auto-subscribe and post count of 0 which I've now done. The test account I created to "practice" with now shows as a member due to the 0 post requirement.

I'm not really interested in the ranking system, I've managed to assign the groups proper permissions and forum visibility and placed the right members into the right groups.

What I was a bit concerned with was that until everyone we wanted to be registered had done so, anyone else could register themselves and see more of the forum than I wanted them to as I have it set up so members use their e-mail to confirm the registration in case I can't log on to confirm it via the admin confirmation.

koolkat96 wrote:First of all, you have to create a group like Sanket said. Then follow the rest. Did you do that?

And yes, you have to do it manually for each member.

Yes I did everything up to the point I added the e-motes in your first post but as I said only the 2 options showed up in the special ranks (no special rank and admin). I also followed the advice using the administrate user > profile commands but that took me to the same page as the users and search users instructions.

-------------------------

What I've decided to do now I understand the auto-subscribe / 0 post count setting is to change the members to full members with the same permissions and to create a new group called pending members with a 0 post count but only the permission to read the forum and not to post. That should allay my concerns about unwanted visitors doing damage to the forum but still allow wanted members to look through the forum until I can assign them full member status.

I realize this was a wall of text but I prefer to be detailed to avoid extra posts to anyone trying to help me.

If anything here appears risky please advise me, also I don't understand the use of the ranking system, the groups seem much more versatile.
buggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy April 10th 2013, 5:14 pm

Hello,

There seems to be no risk with what you're doing Smile

The ranks are display placed on profile and also for display of level on the forum(staff/member ranking), whereas groups can be used to display the legend and set permissions on the forums. Wink

Is this solved? Smile or you can ask if you still have queries Smile
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by buggs April 10th 2013, 5:38 pm

Jophy wrote:Hello,

There seems to be no risk with what you're doing Smile

The ranks are display placed on profile and also for display of level on the forum(staff/member ranking), whereas groups can be used to display the legend and set permissions on the forums. Wink

Is this solved? Smile or you can ask if you still have queries Smile

Gotcha! I had more of a play and saw the star icons next to some of the names. I might give those a whirl at some point but yes as far as I can tell the issue is solved.

Thanks all for the help! Smile
buggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy April 10th 2013, 5:47 pm

Very Happy

Topic Solved & Locked
Jophy
Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down