The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Private message

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Private message

Post by strudel1994 on May 3rd 2013, 9:57 pm

i would like to know if its possible to get a thing for the founder only in the admin panel that you can see all private message so that there is no problem because this is a league and a lot of guys is opening more forum and i would like to know if there posting some thing in my forum about there web or that i can block any message that as a link that they cant see

strudel1994

Male Posts : 3
Language : english

http://supremehockeyleague.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Private message

Post by levy on May 3rd 2013, 10:07 pm

Why to add that ,they are private messages not public messages or something similary Shocked

levy
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2566
Language : Romanian, English
Location : Romania | Feel free to tag me into your topic if you have a problem

http://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nasko7 on May 3rd 2013, 10:23 pm

Don't you think that it's not leggally?

nasko7
Forumember

Male Posts : 99
Language : Bulgarian

http://www.bgminecrafters.bulgarianforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on May 4th 2013, 1:11 am

Is this a question or suggestion? If it is a suggestion, you need to add a poll.

If suggestion, it would not be added because there is a reason why they are called private messages. Members can forward private messages to staff members if there is an issue.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35613
Language : English

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on May 4th 2013, 4:38 pm

@SLGray wrote:Is this a question or suggestion? If it is a suggestion, you need to add a poll.

If suggestion, it would not be added because there is a reason why they are called private messages. Members can forward private messages to staff members if there is an issue.

Well Vbulletin has methods of reading users private messages if they think the member is soliciting or being sketchy. So why not have it?

I think it would prevent of a lot of issues. While they're private if you really wanted a private conversation you could take it offsite or something. I think it would solve a lot of security issues having this, especially sites that cover sensitive topics.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by TwiztedCoded on May 4th 2013, 7:19 pm

@Derri wrote:
@SLGray wrote:Is this a question or suggestion? If it is a suggestion, you need to add a poll.

Well Vbulletin has methods of reading users private messages if they think the member is soliciting or being sketchy. So why not have it?

I think it would prevent of a lot of issues. While they're private if you really wanted a private conversation you could take it offsite or something. I think it would solve a lot of security issues having this, especially sites that cover sensitive topics.

A poll should definitely be added, an yea I understand what your saying. Yet I still think it defeats the purpose of the private message and as SLGray said the members could simply forward the pm if there is really an issue with it. So, wheres the poll? I'd like to vote. Razz

TwiztedCoded
Forumember

Male Posts : 33

http://xswkx.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on May 4th 2013, 7:25 pm

^^^^

The thing about forwarding it. People won't forward a Private Message. Some don't mind people sending them spam or they don't mind people threatening them or soliciting them or they don't understand that they are being solicited.

For example a member can ask some really sketchy things to other members via private message or they can send viruses or links and often since they don't even have a simple report button for PM. They'll leave it or forget.

Like I said, many Vbulletin forums have this mod and its an excellent way to catch those who break the forum rules.

And if its only the admin that can make these checks that what is the harm?

Forum Rules : : Forumotion Staff : : Appeal A Warning : : FAQ : : Tips & Tricks : : Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TwiztedCoded on May 4th 2013, 7:34 pm

Hmm, you definitely have some good points there. Pretty persuasive. Razz Yea, when it comes to those issues, then I would have to agree. An yea your right, there is no issue so long as its the admin being able to see for security reasons. Yet, maybe just add an announcement or global announcement of the rules and stating that if any of the things you listed occurs via pm, it should be fowarded to a admin or mod? Yet, I can see how just being able to see the pms would be much easier and ensure the ability to get rid of the "rotten apples", I just feel as though privacy is compromised at the same time. Very hard decision. :/

TwiztedCoded
Forumember

Male Posts : 33

http://xswkx.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on May 5th 2013, 7:25 am

Please add a poll to this suggestion, thanks.

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk on May 6th 2013, 2:10 pm

@Derri wrote:

Are you saying that an Admin can read a member's PM for any reason? I know about the ability to Report a PM to the Mod/Admin, but to read/spy a member's PM is offensive. Who would want to join that forum that uses Vbulletin then? Thumb down

Captain Hunk
Forumember

Male Posts : 119

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on May 6th 2013, 3:00 pm

@Captain Hunk wrote:
@Derri wrote:

Are you saying that an Admin can read a member's PM for any reason? I know about the ability to Report a PM to the Mod/Admin, but to read/spy a member's PM is offensive. Who would want to join that forum that uses Vbulletin then? Thumb down

If you read my replies above then you'd know why it could be useful. Again it comes down to the maturity of the administrator. Only immature or spiteful people would read message without just cause.

Also Vbulletin is one of the best forum software providers going.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on May 6th 2013, 5:09 pm

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766