The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

What if...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What if...?

Post by Neymar1 on Tue May 21 2013, 09:57

Random thread, but what would happen to all of our forums if forumotion were to go out of business? I'd imagine forumotion is doing pretty well though, just wondering. Razz

Last edited by Neymar1 on Tue May 21 2013, 13:07; edited 1 time in total

Neymar1
Forumember

Male Posts : 406
Language : HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript

http://www.simplyfifa.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What if...?

Post by Rhino.Freak on Tue May 21 2013, 10:14

well I will feel like an ancient caveman who has nothing to do except rubbing two stones..

Rhino.Freak
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1243
Language : English

http://freetest.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on Tue May 21 2013, 14:46

I honestly have no clue. I guess since the servers would be put offline that the forums would shut down.

I honestly haven't considered this.

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 21 2013, 14:59

@Neymar1 wrote:Random thread, but what would happen to all of our forums if forumotion were to go out of business? I'd imagine forumotion is doing pretty well though, just wondering. Razz
Well we would most probably loose our forums unless another company took Forumotion over.Years ago I had a blog on Windows Live Spaces.When that closed we were asked if we wanted to migrate our blogs to Wordpress. Though that was because Windows Live Spaces merged with Wordpress.

Back to top Go down

Post by S-t-e-v-e- on Tue May 21 2013, 18:49

@Neymar1 wrote:Random thread, but what would happen to all of our forums if forumotion were to go out of business? I'd imagine forumotion is doing pretty well though, just wondering. Razz

do you know something we dont know? becasue where are all the mods these days?

S-t-e-v-e-
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 on Tue May 21 2013, 19:26

No. I rarely come on the support forum now so I didn't know that.

Neymar1
Forumember

Male Posts : 406
Language : HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript

http://www.simplyfifa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioHead on Wed May 22 2013, 23:22

Hiya,

1) ForuMotion is doing quite well and is financially viable for many years to come
2) If ForuMotion were to close down (In the event) you would be given access to the ENTIRE database in a PHPBB format (Not the current SITU format) and you would be free to do whatever u want to do with it loove

RadioHead
Forumember

Language : English (der?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zacbonic/Albinotiger on Thu May 23 2013, 02:59

@S-t-e-v-e- wrote:

do you know something we dont know? becasue where are all the mods these days?
All the mods come online everyday?

Anyways I would make my forum on another forum service Confused Although I prefer forumotion

Zacbonic/Albinotiger
Forumember

Male Posts : 92
Language : English, Spanish, French,And Dutch

http://redwood.iftopic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by refresh102 on Thu May 23 2013, 03:19

WHo Knows Sad

refresh102
Forumember

Male Posts : 181
Language : English,Japanese

Back to top Go down

Post by Asriel on Thu May 23 2013, 05:52

@RadioHead wrote:Hiya,

1) ForuMotion is doing quite well and is financially viable for many years to come
2) If ForuMotion were to close down (In the event) you would be given access to the ENTIRE database in a PHPBB format (Not the current SITU format) and you would be free to do whatever u want to do with it loove

How do you know for the fact that Forumotion is "doing quiet well and is financially viable for many years to come"?

Asriel
Forumember

Male Posts : 583
Language : English, Russian, Ukrainian

http://www.worldofmutants.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by refresh102 on Thu May 23 2013, 07:47

Shut-Up Everyone

FOrumotion Expires On

May,10 500000

No Need To Worry Because We Will Die In That Year Razz

refresh102
Forumember

Male Posts : 181
Language : English,Japanese

Back to top Go down

Post by Zacbonic/Albinotiger on Thu May 23 2013, 07:56

@Asriel wrote:

How do you know for the fact that Forumotion is "doing quiet well and is financially viable for many years to come"?
Yeah I was thinking that too....... Some strange reason these members here have special powers.

Zacbonic/Albinotiger
Forumember

Male Posts : 92
Language : English, Spanish, French,And Dutch

http://redwood.iftopic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioHead on Thu May 23 2013, 23:18

@Zacbonic/Albinotiger wrote:
@Asriel wrote:

Yeah I was thinking that too....... Some strange reason these members here have special powers.

1 - I know too much and too many people (Been here for more then 5 years)
2 - I talk to the right people for the right issues :-)
(Every dev has a separate are of specialization, however are very competent at the PHPBB base coding used)
3 - I have no special powers what so ever, just the exact same as you, or someone who has never posted.

RadioHead
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by skooma on Fri May 24 2013, 22:59

It'd be a shame, certainly.

skooma

Back to top Go down

Post by Asriel on Sat May 25 2013, 00:02

But in any case, If forumotion went out of business and my forum got destroyed. I'd curse the skies for its wicked and cruel trickery and then go pour myself a cup of Jack Daniel to drink my sorrows away. (Except it'd be illegal, since I am not 21 yet.)

Asriel
Forumember

Male Posts : 583
Language : English, Russian, Ukrainian

http://www.worldofmutants.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jingles Magic on Sun Jun 09 2013, 15:24

I would freak out. However, if you are running a forum on forumotion with your own domain, you could have it so when people visit the domain that used to have your forumotion site, it redirects you to the new site wherever it's hosted. Smile

Jingles Magic
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MotorCookie on Tue Jun 18 2013, 08:37

All forums would go down.

Last edited by MotorCookie on Sun Oct 06 2013, 09:37; edited 1 time in total

MotorCookie
Forumember

Male Posts : 113

Back to top Go down

Post by JazeonX on Tue Jun 18 2013, 17:35

I'd probably be soaking myself with Vaseline and pretend that I'm a slug.

JazeonX
Forumember

Male Posts : 213
Language :

Back to top Go down

Post by Scime on Thu Jun 27 2013, 20:44

Always have a backstop.

Scime

Back to top Go down

Post by MissUrsh on Sat Jul 13 2013, 04:10

I don't want even think about it. I hope that this won't ever happend, I would freak out, I guess. I love forums, I hope that this won't ever happen'!

MissUrsh
Forumember

Female Posts : 101
Language : Slovenian, english, italian, german, latin

http://whentheshadowswalk.slovenianforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveC. on Sun Jul 14 2013, 15:30

Crap companies would take the control of the entire market and grow, without having anything special to offer.

SteveC.

Language : English, Spanish, Portuguese, French and German

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on Sun Aug 18 2013, 00:10

Its always a possibility that a forum host will go out of business, nothing lasts forever. I had a forum once on "Aceboards" which was a French based host much like Forumotion, and they quit updating their server or answering questions for about a year, then they finally pulled the plug on the server and all the forums were gone. I had moved all my members off of Aceboards before they went under because I sensed they were about to go out of business when they stopped updating their server and replying to questions.

If forumotion went under I'd probably find another host someplace, but it wouldn't be vbulletin or proboards. I'd go with a less commercialized host, someplace low-key and smaller with no ads. I'd want a lot of styling options too, such as css editing. I'd want one that has PHP editing also. And yes, I want it for free. lmao

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackScorpion on Sun Aug 18 2013, 02:40

As RunawayHorse said if it were to happen , I'm sure someone will pick up the slack or simply, we will go with another FREE hosting company. Like Runaway said, I also want a lot of styling options too, such as css editing, PHP editing also. And yes, I too want it ALL for free Very Happy

BlackScorpion
Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer

Male Posts : 4455

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Diana on Sun Aug 18 2013, 22:34

Argh, I hope they don't go out of business anytime soon. I'm having too much fun administrating my forum.

Diana
Active Poster

Female Posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post by Devan on Sun Aug 18 2013, 22:43

I would be sad because I have had forums previously fail and we've come far now. I wouldn't want that progress to be worthless.

Devan
Forumember

Male Posts : 282

http://yugioh-universe.findforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on Mon Aug 19 2013, 01:36

There is information somewhere (the support forum or somewhere else) that exactly explains what Forumotion would do if they were going out of business.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35670

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on Mon Aug 19 2013, 05:36

@SLGray wrote:There is information somewhere (the support forum or somewhere else) that exactly explains what Forumotion would do if they were going out of business.
Oh that sounds like something worth looking at.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioHead on Mon Aug 19 2013, 10:03

@SLGray wrote:There is information somewhere (the support forum or somewhere else) that exactly explains what Forumotion would do if they were going out of business.
Yes, in the thread called "[Only topic]Questions for ForuMotion", Ironically, it's in the garbage section of the staff room. lol

RadioHead
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on Mon Aug 19 2013, 10:42

Well theoretically speaking it has to be one of 2 things, either they sell it and someone else takes over or the plug gets pulled and all the forums go offline.

I think most likely they would go offline, because if they can't make a decent profit enough to keep it online, others won't want to buy it with forums being as unpopular as they are right now.

It would be interesting to view forumotions financial statements to see how healthy the company is financially, it might give some insight as to its future if we could see their profits and expenditures related to their forums.

Of course they could go offline for a variety of reasons none of which having anything to do with money. But most likely it would be money related, probably the same reason other companies go under, not enough profit being made, so they dump that project and move onto another investment.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 20 2013, 18:23

I'd sue them for mismangement! It's my money I invested in it by buying credits!

No, seriously now. haha! It would be a painful notice to go by, but then again, knowing FM they'd bring that mssg out to their members in plenty of time, so they can decide to bring their forum over to another provider, I guess.

I think, like any other goods on the market, like the internet, it's about trust between consumer and producer.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum