The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Member problem and threats.

5 posters

Go down

Solved Member problem and threats.

Post by Atira May 25th 2013, 9:21 am

I've made a little forum with a friend for a facebook game so we can come together and chat, trade etc. Recently we had a moderator not do his job and cause some problems on the forum. We stripped his rights and he got seriously aggressive. After some harassment we just banned him because it was getting out of hand.

Later we saw he was making multiple accounts and visiting as a guest with the same IP but with different end numbers. We just banned those and continued with our day, he ended up making more accounts and posting on the forums pretending to be other people. It gets worse as he starts contacting another Admin and I on facebook with more harassment.

I've looked around your forum for some solutions to make sure he can't make multiple accounts or something to help us. Sadly this hasn't worked as he keeps coming back with new IP's and trying to make more accounts, we set it up so an Admin has to approve new members and he is still trying to make accounts.

Later I go onto another forum to get some game updates and I see he has posted on our walls there also, stating to the public we are bulling him and calling him names, making up lies and such and how he is reporting us for harassment. He also said he's trying to report our forum to get us "banned on our own forum" for harassment and such. We have proof of everything he has said and done but yet he still tries to say we are the ones harassing.

Is it seriously possible for our forum to get shut down even though we haven't done anything to him or to break the rules of forumotion? I think it's the right of the head Admin (The one who made the forum) to decide if a moderator isn't fit. We are really getting tired of his threats and it's just getting tiring to have to worry about getting shut down over something so stupid.

Also is there a way too just somehow IP block anyone from a certain country? (I know this is drastic but it's getting out of hand.)

bwi

Last edited by Atira on May 30th 2013, 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Atira

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Member problem and threats.

Post by Base May 25th 2013, 3:17 pm

Hello,

As long as your forum does not break our terms of service located here: https://www.forumotion.com/en/create-forum/terms-of-service.htm

...then you have nothing to worry about. Forums cannot be 'shut down' just like that without a valid and proper reason.
Base
Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by socialize May 25th 2013, 10:18 pm

Hello! Hello
I have a few solutions for you!
<>Ban his IP addresses that he created.
<>Ban his email addresses.
(These methods will slow him down greatly.
<>Maybe your staff will have some great work to do! Wink
socialize
socialize
Forumember

Male Posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Atira May 25th 2013, 10:25 pm

Thank you for the help. ^^
I know we aren't breaking any of the rules so we have no worries I guess.

The problem is he makes new emails/ips each time. No matter how much we ban we still comes through with more and more things.

The [Make an account every 255 days] doesn't work as he uses a new IP each time he visits. The only way we can stop him from making an account is if we set it to Admin approve only, which sucks because we don't know if it's him for a legit person trying to sign up.

I guess we will have to work harder until he gives up. Thanks! xD
Atira

Back to top Go down

Post by socialize May 25th 2013, 10:31 pm

Atira wrote:Thank you for the help. ^^
I know we aren't breaking any of the rules so we have no worries I guess.

The problem is he makes new emails/ips each time. No matter how much we ban we still comes through with more and more things.

The [Make an account every 255 days] doesn't work as he uses a new IP each time he visits. The only way we can stop him from making an account is if we set it to Admin approve only, which sucks because we don't know if it's him for a legit person trying to sign up.

I guess we will have to work harder until he gives up. Thanks! xD

Just ban all this IP address and most importantly his email addresses!!!! Just slow him down, and your staff are great at their job. Makes them do work lol. Hope you have a great day and contact an admin if he does stuff to break the TOS.
socialize
socialize
Forumember

Male Posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest May 26th 2013, 11:27 pm

There is a setting in the admin panel under "registration settings." Here you can set it so that users can only register once a day under the same IP address. Found under" limit IP registrations" set it to 1 in 24 hours.

Then new users will not be able to make more than one account in 24 hours.That may slow down any users who try to sign up with multiple accounts.

Also enable account activation by the admins only for new registered members. Meaning all new registrations can only be activated by an admin.

Also you can moderate new members posts by putting them in a restricted users group. So they cannot post on the whole of the forum until you approve their posts and move them out of that usergroup. That way you can view the IPs and ban any new accounts that member makes.

Back to top Go down

Post by goldenfire May 29th 2013, 11:32 am

@Forumotion mods/manager I also want to report this member & her forum .
Sending you a PM
goldenfire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest May 29th 2013, 11:52 am

goldenfire wrote:@Forumotion mods/manager I also want to report this member & her forum .
Sending you a PM
No Goldenfire there is nothing that Forumotion can do about a member causing problems on the OP's forum. It's for the Admin of that forum,in this case the OP to deal with.

And this topic is not about reporting a forum. The OP is asking how to deal with a banned member who keeps coming back to the forum under multiple ID's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atira May 29th 2013, 12:43 pm

That's funny... Goldenfire is the person I'm talking about. He messaged another Admin of mine yesterday apologizing but still said I was harassing him. We thought he would stop but it hasn't looking at this. The fact hes stalking what I'm doing online now is just frustrating. We have proof of everything that has happened. I know my forum isn't breaking any rules but he still comes to any site I visit to say stuff like this. He dont even have a forumotion forum yet he's made an account in support. He signs up too any forum I'm on and slanders me. Thank you for the help but this won't stop anytime soon I'm guessing.
Atira

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest May 29th 2013, 1:04 pm

Don't worry Atira, Forumotion won't ban your forum if it's not breaking the terms of service.

I have had the same problems with 2 members I banned from my own forum for trolling. One of them did the same thing as what this member is doing. He made nasty posts about me on other forums. One of the banned members even spammed my user page on Wikipedia.

The best thing to do is ignore him.

If a member you have banned shows up on another forum and starts posting about you-

Don't respond to his posts,no matter what.

I find by not responding they get fed up and go away. But if you respond to them, you then get drawn into the argument. Which was the mistake I made, when a member I had banned showed up on another forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Base May 29th 2013, 1:20 pm

@goldenfire: This is a formal reminder to request that you stop sending in faulty reports. If you have a problem with a particular member, please contact a member of staff to deal with the matter.

As for the question at hand, I do believe I have made it clear that only violations of the terms of service will be dealt with. The litigation team are not responsible for handling any personal matters. Thank you.
Base
Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Atira May 29th 2013, 8:56 pm

Andrea Borman wrote:Don't worry Atira, Forumotion won't ban your forum if it's not breaking the terms of service.

I have had the same problems with 2 members I banned from my own forum for trolling. One of them did the same thing as what this member is doing. He made nasty posts about me on other forums. One of the banned members even spammed my user page on Wikipedia.

The best thing to do is ignore him.

If a member you have banned shows up on another forum and starts posting about you-

Don't respond to his posts,no matter what.

I find by not responding they get fed up and go away. But if you respond to them, you then get drawn into the argument. Which was the mistake I made, when a member I had banned showed up on another forum.

Thank you, I'll take your advice! Although we haven't message him or anything since a few weeks ago.

Base wrote:@goldenfire: This is a formal reminder to request that you stop sending in faulty reports. If you have a problem with a particular member, please contact a member of staff to deal with the matter.

As for the question at hand, I do believe I have made it clear that only violations of the terms of service will be dealt with. The litigation team are not responsible for handling any personal matters. Thank you.

I understand, thanks! Do you know if it's possible to block a whole country from entering your forum? Also I understand that your team don't respond to personal attacks, I'm pretty sure no one would.
Atira

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 29th 2013, 9:58 pm

No you can't block a country.lol
And if these are personal attact then you may want to check out the ip information and try reporting it all to his service provider or contact your local police to find out more information .

I mean there is not much forumtion will be able to do unless he was a founder or staff of a forum that is in violation.

Plus it would depend if any threads or abuse was putting someone in real harms way or if it is just some idiot talking nonsense.

So I would first try contacting your service provider first to explain the situation and how to go about reporting all information and abuse to his service provider.
Or one again contact your local police to find out how to go about it all to report the harassment and abuses.
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Atira May 30th 2013, 12:48 am

Alrighty, thanks for all the help. All the questions I asked have been answered.

If it gets worse and he doesn't leave us alone in a certain time frame I'll consider what kirk said. I don't think it would be enjoyable for anyone to be in that situation though.
Atira

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk May 30th 2013, 5:40 am

Atira wrote:Alrighty, thanks for all the help. All the questions I asked have been answered.

Topic Solved & Locked
kirk
kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum