The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

pop up advertisement in the forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved pop up advertisement in the forum

Post by Kabbalien on June 5th 2013, 3:39 pm

I was informed from one of the forum members that he is receiving warning messages from his anti-virus any time he come into my forum. After I had a close look, I realize that the forum show pop up advertisement when Im not sign in !?
I didnt had any codes to my forum !
What is this ? can some one explain me ?

Kabbalien
Forumember

Male Posts : 179
Language : English / Portugues / Brazilian / Spanish

http://trancemoon.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: pop up advertisement in the forum

Post by Sir Chivas™ on June 5th 2013, 3:44 pm

Hi,

Can you show a screenshot of this pop-up ads? Thank you.
Is it the one in the Portal?

Attention!
- Please provide your forum URL at all times.
- When the issue is solved, please mark it as solved.

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6756
Language : English, Spanish, and French

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on June 5th 2013, 3:53 pm

Hi,

Maybe this topic is related. Its almost like a pop up advertisement?
http://help.forumotion.com/t124456-new-ad-system

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 6th 2013, 1:13 am

It is probably only a false positive.I would just send it to quarantine or to go in their virus protection settings and set as allowed/ok. I mean forumotion would never ad a virus , so must just be triggering what ever protection they are using as false positive.

Other then that be sure you set the ad's as reduce number of flash ad's for members and guest and you could always buy credits to have the ad's removed as well.

kirk
Forumaster

Male Posts : 11037
Language : English,Vulcan,Klingon, Romulan,& Gorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabbalien on June 6th 2013, 1:02 pm

Ok. I really dont see the point of advertising free forum and blogs and then request members to buy credits to remove publicity and dodgy pop ups !!
When I start my forum it was no advertisements and that was what push me in. My Forum was never been so slow and I dont think members dont want to change the anti-virus settings only because my forum.
Thanks for that !

Kabbalien
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on June 6th 2013, 1:27 pm

All free forum hosts have advertisements. Forumotion, has to add the ads to generate revenue for its survival & to bring you updates to your forum, maintain the servers etc.

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 7th 2013, 3:39 am

Right look at the ad's on youtube, facebook,myspace and just about every free service on the web,evrything has ad's. Without ad's we would not be able to get forumotion forums for free. even other free forum host all have some type of ad's or advertisement as well. As far as a handful of peoples virus protection going off. You want to bet it is going off on many other sites they are going to as well. Ad's are ad's the whole web is flooded with them and has been for a good 15 years now. Ask your members to allow them as being safe, or you as the owner can buy credits to have them removed, or have your members find some type of ad-blocker for whatever browser they may be using. And dont get me wrong, i can understand your frustration, but this is all part of the web not just forumotion. And yes i believe formotion have a month grace period without ad's when first creating a forum.Many free forum/web host do this as well.

Remeber to have the Reduce amount of flash Ad's set in your ad settings. It is most likely flash ad's that will trigger a false positive before plain text. Whatever the case, like i said before, forumotion would not put anything with a virus on forums. That i can ensure you, if there is a true corrupt ad then please do get a screen shot and the link it goes to so forumotion can have google remove it. Very good

kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabbalien on June 7th 2013, 11:13 am

I total agree with you guys on some points... I have to pay my Radio server monthly and no one donate to help me out :/ but I still don't use ad's. The reason is that google or other affiliates only pay 1 penny for 1000 clicks and that dont do any money just make the websites look dodgy ! One other hand I would like to suggest a way out. Why you guys dont make some nice features that can be integrated in the forum and ask money to the forum members to have that features in they're forums ? You could offer paid modules to be added to the forum and incentive people to buy the modules. Prestashop do that ! Even the program is free, the best modules and templates are "buy only" .
Dont take me wrong, I still think in what will be the best way to get people to subscribe or donate to my radios without have to fill up the website with ad's because is a pain to see ad's in my website even know, that this ad's dont bring any money.. really ! (Unless for me)
Forumotion occupy already two spaces in the forums with banners (top and side banners) Fine, but Pop-up Ad's is a bit too much... dont you think so ?

Last edited by Kabbalien on June 7th 2013, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

Kabbalien
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on June 7th 2013, 12:41 pm

Which pop-up ads are you mentioning?

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on June 7th 2013, 7:31 pm

Would it be possible to take a screenshot of these pop up ads? Are they a small pop up or do they pop up into a new window on your browser, I haven't seen these new ads.

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabbalien on June 7th 2013, 7:50 pm

Did happen one day ago (when I open this topic) since then they didn't come back. It was a small box coming up from the bottom conner.
I believe Forumotion is trying a new pop-up system in the forums.

Kabbalien
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by kirk on June 7th 2013, 8:51 pm

i know forumotion do have ad's at he bottom for forums in certain countries, i think more of the Arabian countries, as far as pop-out ad's i have not heard of forumotion having them, but as said it could be they was testing them. Personally i think it is a mistake for forumotion to add more ad's at the bottom of the forum when they already have them at the top, i could see more complaints coming in and we have had a number of them already, But etoxic/forumotion has to try to gain all they can to make a profit while paying for all the servers on allowing us to have free forums.So not much we can do about that.

As far as the other points mentioned above, not sure if it would be a good idea for premium modules or templates/themes/skins.If they was to add something like that i am sure it would some how take away from some of the cool features we have now with template edits for phpbb2 and punn etc..For me the best features of forumotion is how people are able to customize their forums,I have seen some pretty interesting customizations throughout the years as staff here on support.So i would hate to see some of the common features for customizations go away due to adding and premium services like mentioned above. Hypothetically speaking of course. However feel free to create post any suggestions you may have in the suggestions section. And nothing can ever be 100% complaint free. You will always have complaints about something no matter how many cool features you add free or premium.

Will all this aside, if you do come across a corrupt ad, be sure to get a screen shot and the link the ad leads to, i will leave this open for one more reply then it will be send to archives considering all has been suggested and now answered.

Last edited by kirk on June 7th 2013, 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

kirk
Forumaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on June 7th 2013, 8:53 pm

These ads should not be appearing now. Your forums should be back to normal now.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35661

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kabbalien on June 7th 2013, 10:39 pm

Thank you for your support.

Kabbalien
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on June 8th 2013, 2:01 am

Topic Solved & Locked

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35661

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum