The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014

+15
AdminOnyx
Andriolf1
ILikeApples
Derri
JazeonX
Mr MattM
Captain Hunk
kirk
SLGray
efbe
Muddle Manor
whitestarling1
KingOfSports
Ultron's Vision
runawayhorses
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014 - Page 3 Empty Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014

Post by runawayhorses 18th June 2013, 22:13

First topic message reminder :

Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP

Ends April 8, 2014
Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014 - Page 3 Window10
Hi everyone, I've been in contact with Kirk as most of you know is this forums Manager, and we agreed that a topic about Microsoft ending support for Windows XP would be a good idea, so without further ado here it is.

The object of this topic discussion is to make people aware of this issue and to give people a place to post any suggestions or steps to take to prepare for Microsoft's retirement of Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8 April 8, 2014, along with discussing the IE browser and its compatibility issues with the new forumotion text editor just implemented. All thoughts along this line are encouraged and welcomed, and they need not be constructive if you simply want to express your opinions about Internet Explorer or any of the Windows operating systems. This topic is an outlet to be both helpful and to express your opinions.

Microsoft will be ending support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014 after 12 and a half years of supporting it. Microsoft has gone out of their way to extend support on several occasions, but the 2014 deadline looks like the final one. Windows XP was the most widely used operating system until August 2012, when Windows 7 overtook it

Links:
Windows Lifecycle Factsheet:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

Wikipedia on Windows XP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

Wikipedia on Internet Explorer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer

Additional helpful links:

watch video:

--------
My thoughts:

Should the forumotion technicians concern themselves with Internet Explorer 8 and older versions, or would they be better off telling everyone to use Firefox or Chrome or any other browser other than IE?

With Firefox and Chrome its always updated no matter what Windows edition you run, and you never have to worry about not having the latest updates or if your windows edition is compatible with the latest browser versions. No matter what windows edition you have you can run the latest version of Firefox or Chrome or any of the other windows compatible browsers out there.

In reverse Internet Explorer is completely different in that you can't run the latest version of IE browser they make unless you have the latest version of Windows, and when they decide to not update your browser or operating system anymore you are left hanging and forced to look elsewhere for an updated browser that keeps up to date with today's coded websites. As made example you can't run IE 9 on Windows XP, its not an option, forget it.

Microsoft is basically saying "you're on your own". Which really is a blessing in disguise because you probably shouldn't be using IE anyway because even the latest versions of IE are a mess and not up to par with Firefox and Chrome, among the others browsers out there.

Ok, I made an opener, your thoughts?

Last edited by runawayhorses on 23rd June 2013, 12:57; edited 8 times in total
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Language : English

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014

Post by runawayhorses 6th December 2013, 14:00

Captain Hunk wrote:
Derri wrote:All I have to say is 'ouch' to the XP users, in my opinion Microsoft should provide safety to those, maybe no updates or improvements but at least provide security and ensure no bugs go wrong with it etc.

Windows 8 isn't actually failing though? I mean arguably windows 8 isn't loved but isn't failing. Xbox One has a lot of elements of windows 8 in it and it's sold millions upon millions. Windows phones have become super popular and windows 8 is on more and more computers with each new system.

I have to admit I liked the style of 7 and it took me a long time once I upgraded to get over 7 but now I couldn't imagine going back to 7. I like the "APP" look and I like the design.

1. MS is not obligated to provide anymore security updates and fixes after April 8, 2014. The end user is responsible to use the best anti-virus, firewall, spyware, adware, etc., to protect their system. Always been like that anyway.
  2. It is failing for desktop/ laptop users and makers. Toshiba removed it and 99% of their sales had Win7 installed. Even when Win8.1 debut which should have turned it around for them, darn thing failed to install forcing MS to shut it down till they remedied it. Sales sank further as companies are favoring tablets over PCs. And guess what, surprise surprise, Steve Ballmer got the heave ho. Those investors ain't waiting for him to step down on 2014.
  3. Please do not confuse PCs with game consoles or tablets. Xbox One is a popular game console that is not as popular as PS4 in sales so far. Doesn't help MS are having bug issues with those too. Oh dear. And tablets, lol, Siri is having a cow with.
Windows RT vs Ipad:
Derri, honestly, if you love it that much, Dude get a tablet and help a struggling computer company out. thumright
runawayhorses wrote:Well in all honesty I'm not going to worry about xp not getting anymore updates, there is nothing I can do about it so worrying isn't gonna do any good. What happens happens, I'll roll with the punches like I always do.

If some hacker wants to take a ride on my machine hes welcome to it, I don't have a clue what he will get out it because nothing is on this computer worth anything, but whatever.
I'm not worried either. When users have taken every sensible precaution they ever could with their computers and online activities, there's nothing more for them to do but deal with it should they get hit with one. And not that long ago I read an article about how lucrative Bitcoins have become to crooks who are in need of using CPUs. So they're planting malware to help generate them which for the user will simply hog their own system resources and get nothing out of it in return. lol kinda like the legal datamining Google, MS, Verizon, Yahoo, NSA, etc., are doing now minus the malware of course. Yeah I threw the NSA in there. It's silly not to think they're making money under the table somehow with all that info they're privy to. tongue

Still, 31% will no longer receive support. And for crooks, they're looking at a goldmine of CPUs to takeover after April 8th. I don't mean to scare anybody off. Just get ready to uninstall and reinstall when that (comp gets real slow) happens. Make some disk image copy of your system and back it up. It's like using shampoo: apply, lather, rinse, and repeat. afrome understands how much ye love da hair...
Yeah the reinstall disk is always an option, thank god I have one for this pc, because I had a hewlett packard once that didn't come with a reinstall disk..Shit

I don't know how hard it is to come by those disks for your machines, but its nice to have one ready to use if you should need it, sometimes its the only thing that can save your machine.

Well I hope it never comes to that and I never get hit, I do have protection for this pc in all areas, and stay off questionable sites, so I'll just keep doing what I do with this xp machine and be happy I have it, and should problems arise as a result from not getting windows security updates I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. It wouldn't be the first time I had to go to battle against malware and other attacks against a xp system, and I always prevail.

Interesting that I was (and still am) getting windows security updates when I've got hit in the past. Nevertheless I find a way to fight it off and destroy it. I've brought computers back from sure death before.

I don't know what to make of your last emoticon with respect to shampoo, it looks like a really bad interpretation of Jimi Hendrix hairdo or an emoticon meant for a black background, nice try..lol Smile
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014

Post by Captain Hunk 6th December 2013, 18:24

rofl I was just being funny by using that emote. It was the only one with lots of hair. afro 

And that is so true about not having disks included with your new computer. I have one comp that did not come with disks. I had to burn them on disks. That feature is still there on the Start Menu. New computers tend to be like this. My brother had to do the same with his laptop for Win7. I hope everyone has done this soon after they purchased their computers. If not, look for it on your Start Menu (or wherever in Win 8/8.1). Then make a copy. It's very easy to do. Never know when you need them.

Still, I don't get their logic to exclude them. When I purchased that computer in '07, Vista debut and their promotion allowed you to get a free copy of Windows Vista. MS naturally fulfilled their obligation and I got the disks in the mail! No XP disks with the computer, but I get disks for Vista to upgrade?!? rofl. I still have that Vista upgrade but have not ever installed it thinking Vista would be improved later on. Then again, the computer itself was not up to par for Vista. Just didn't make sense to install it on that one let alone be offered a new incompatible operating system.

I have to hand it to MS though. I read this morning how they disrupted the largest network of infected computers.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-leads-disruption-largest-infected-020553802.html?soc_src=copy
An interesting read no doubt worth sharing with others about. Two million computers were compromised. Crooks simply were making money off them ads like these internet giants do at their expense.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Male Posts : 130

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri 6th December 2013, 18:58

Interestingly enough today I was offered a free upgrade to windows 8.1 (already on Cool I'll actually be making another back up soon.

Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Andriolf1 7th December 2013, 04:47

Thats a bummer. Ive been using XP on all the computers I've had since it came out.
Andriolf1

http://andriolf.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by AdminOnyx 13th December 2013, 21:15

This is both upsetting the heck put of me, as well as scaring me. I have a wonderful XP that works just great, and I have loved it more than any other pc I have owned, and there have been several over the years.

I do not understand why they will no longer support what in my oppinion was the best model they ever made.

Mine is "supported" by Dell, because that was where it was bought from, but my question is to any one here that might know the answer, does this mean when I do have a problem, I will get no support at all?
AdminOnyx
AdminOnyx

Female Posts : 22

http://fashionvixens.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray 13th December 2013, 22:36

This is referring to updates from Microsoft like security updates and Internet Explorer updates.  After 2014, Microsoft will not offer any updates if you get a virus or malware. I read somewhere that you could still get support after April 2014, but you will have to pay for that support.

Microsoft No Longer Supporting XP - Ends April 8, 2014 - Page 3 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by AdminOnyx 14th December 2013, 00:20

SLGray wrote:This is referring to updates from Microsoft like security updates and Internet Explorer updates.  After 2014, Microsoft will not offer any updates if you get a virus or malware.  I read somewhere that you could still get support after April 2014, but you will have to pay for that support.

Oh ok, yeah, I use Chrome anyway, and I guess we can still pay Dell for ongoing support, I hope!!
AdminOnyx
AdminOnyx

Female Posts : 22

http://fashionvixens.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk 14th December 2013, 23:07

Check with Dell regarding their support for that particular OS.

Chrome has stated that they will continue to provide XP support for one more year after the April deadline.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri 14th December 2013, 23:12

Captain Hunk wrote:Check with Dell regarding their support for that particular OS.

Chrome has stated that they will continue to provide XP support for one more year after the April deadline.

Although that doesn't really mean much considering Microsoft are going to stop updates.
Derri
Derri
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 8755
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk 18th December 2013, 17:32

True, but this has to do with Chrome fixing any bugs that may happen for XPs. After one year, no support will be given. Other companies are not obligated to provide support from their end. We don't know what Forumotion's policy will be. They honestly don't have to but if they want to, then it's a question of how long they will until they end support.

And who knows if by then MS will have a new operating system that's a 9 and not an 8.2 update that will work.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt23 24th December 2013, 18:30

People still use IE? Can we do a poll on browser use for this forum ?lol
Matt23
Matt23

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk 16th January 2014, 14:32

lol it's official MS is working on 9!

Also, MS will no longer provide support from their Security Essentials to XP users come April. No updates period. So switch to some other free antivirus system that will protect your browsing adventures.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray 16th January 2014, 19:31

Captain Hunk wrote:lol it's official MS is working on 9!

Also, MS will no longer provide support from their Security Essentials to XP users come April. No updates period. So switch to some other free antivirus system that will protect your browsing adventures.
Could you post a link to where you read this?

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk 16th January 2014, 23:25

Sure. I found it here:
http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-ending-anti-virus-protection-203725571.html;_ylt=A2KJ3Cd7WthShDsAsdXQtDMD

The official word from Microsoft can be found there:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

More links, for those who don't know, can be found in those written in blue from Microsoft. Click on them for more info on what to do if you need to.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses 17th January 2014, 13:30

Now that's some bad news about Microsoft Security Essentials will no longer provide support for XP this April, but its not totally surprising. I use that program because its light on resources as opposed to say like "AVG". Now I guess I'll have to find a new one.

Lets ask what people can suggest as a good alternative for Security Essentials and see what they come up with, it will be helpful if this topic provided some information and links to some good programs to replace Security Essentials. Personally I'll be looking for something low on resources.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk 17th January 2014, 22:34

Well, there may have been some immediate backlash in lieu of this announcement. MS has reversed its decision on ending Security Essentials for XPs on April 8th. They have decided to extend it for another year until July 14, 2015.
http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-grants-xp-anti-virus-140926469.html

That's great news there, I'll say.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray 18th January 2014, 00:40

Captain Hunk wrote:Well, there may have been some immediate backlash in lieu of this announcement. MS has reversed its decision on ending Security Essentials for XPs on April 8th. They have decided to extend it for another year until July 14, 2015.
http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-grants-xp-anti-virus-140926469.html

That's great news there, I'll say.
Thanks for the link. At least it gives us some more time to replace our anti-virus programs.

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 18th January 2014, 05:19

^ Agreed, thanks for the link! I really am going to be sad when XP is no longer supported. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray 18th January 2014, 05:32

I can not locate it now, but I read somewhere that a group was trying to sue Microsoft over this. Maybe when Microsoft really sees how many people exactly still use XP, they might change their minds.

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe 23rd January 2014, 13:18

efbe wrote:It is sort of a Windows 8 discussion as it involves members needing to upgrade their PC's later when XP stops supporting updates.
What will members do when that time rolls around? Buy a new pc / laptop with Windows 8 and find out later that Win 8 stinks and cannot install Win 7 ? or buy from a private builder who can build a new pc with Windows 7 installed (probably a cheaper option in most cases) or risk staying with XP.

Then again you have those who can't afford to upgrade and i would say there are many that can't. 

Windows XP was a popular OS and Microsoft did extend it's life due to it's popularity, ... pity it's almost time to end. Very Happy
Time is getting close... and may i suggest to those who can not afford a new pc to give Linux a try..there is one Linux distribution that even looks like XP to make the transition over to Linux so much easier...and it's called Zorin OS ... it can be found here for a free download.. http://zorin-os.com/
You would be surprised in how easy it is to migrate to Linux, i gave Microsoft the boot years ago, and since trying Linux i haven't looked back. It's getting very popular now that Steam for gamers can run on Linux. Microsoft is actually calling Linux a cancer, it's usage is growing in the millions and is eating into Microsofts profits...hence being called a cancer.
One other option, install Linux along side XP... in other words you can duel boot, at start up you can choose to run either systems...XP for gaming and Linux for the internet.
At least using Linux, you have no fear of viruses or malware infecting your pc.
Personally, i run Linux for everything for a bit of gaming, internet with Firefox, Thunderbird for email and heaps of other free programs that come pre installed in the download, like Gimp or dvd and cd burners, DVD rippers, DVD movie and music players like VLC and many many more programs that compare equally for free to what Microsoft offer at a cost.
Check it out, many others are jumping off the Microsoft ship and joining the Linux family. It cost nothing to have a look, it cost nothing to download and install, you also can copy and share your download with out fear of breaking the law.
Just an alternative for those worried when XP finally ends. There is life after XP try Linux, you don't even have to install it to see how it works, download a ISO image and burn to a dvd, you then boot up your pc with the dvd and you can actually test the system without installing. If you like what you see, click the install icon and away you go. Smile
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Male Posts : 455
Language : english

http://www.chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by musket 23rd January 2014, 20:48

I'm running Windows 7 on my main PC but I had recently to update my two backup-up PC's running XP, and one had 92 very lengthy Window updates to catch up with, it took hours. So it's a wise move for anyone to get in front now if you have PC's with the XP platform hanging around somewhere.
musket
musket
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1130

http://hemmingsdaman2.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk 24th January 2014, 22:42

Switching to either Linux, or MAC has been offered as an alternative by many when it comes to Microsoft. Understand the fact that 50% of those XP users worldwide come from China alone. One would think that the smartest move for MS to do is to end XP32 and bring back XP64 just to keep that market share going. I'm sure if XP64 was offered as an alternative, many XP users will happily migrate towards it. Maybe that lawsuit SLGray mentioned about might work if that group sued to do just that: Restore XP64. Clearly, XP64 existed once but lost any further support when MS opted to market its latest operating system: Win7.

Up to each of you on what to do. Rumor has it that Windows 9 will debut this October. MS has acknowledged that Win8 was another VISTA. Oh dear...
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe 25th January 2014, 03:00

Captain Hunk wrote:Switching to either Linux, or MAC has been offered as an alternative by many when it comes to Microsoft. Understand the fact that 50% of those XP users worldwide come from China alone. One would think that the smartest move for MS to do is to end XP32 and bring back XP64 just to keep that market share going. I'm sure if XP64 was offered as an alternative, many XP users will happily migrate towards it. Maybe that lawsuit SLGray mentioned about might work if that group sued to do just that: Restore XP64. Clearly, XP64 existed once but lost any further support when MS opted to market its latest operating system: Win7.

Up to each of you on what to do. Rumor has it that Windows 9 will debut this October. MS has acknowledged that Win8 was another VISTA. Oh dear...

Yes, Microsoft has now acknowledged that Windows 8 is failing miserably, and iv'e also read that Microsoft will try with a version 9 soon with it's traditional start button back to ease the punters that dislike the Metro style interface now used in Windows 8. Unfortunately, i think windows 9 will just be a band aid covering Windows 8.
Google Chrome books seem to be a big hit at the moment.
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Muddle Manor 25th January 2014, 18:59

I'm so grateful for this topic!  Thanks all for helping to keep us informed.  Smile  Reading that they acknowledge Win 8 as another Vista made my day.  hahaha!  I would love it if they could somehow offer a Win 9 switch free of charge for those of us that are having a miserable experience with 8.  Didn't they offer an update via download like that after Vista, or am I remembering wrong??  Either way, I won't be holding my breath for it.  Just knowing the world might soon get past Windows 8 is good enough news.
Muddle Manor
Muddle Manor
Forumember

Language : English, fluent in Typo

http://muddlemanor.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk 26th January 2014, 17:02

I think with Vista they offered free downgrades. HP has already followed Toshiba's lead with dumping Win8 for Win7 on their computers in order to attract customers. No one really knows if Win9 will be any good and whether its a sure thing that these manufacturers will readily install the new operating system on their computers while upgrading existing ones. I won't be surprised if Toshiba will test market a few of theirs and stick with Win7 just in case. That is why I wasn't kidding about restoring XP64. Make that the new 9 and offer the metro UI seen in Win8 as an expansion package. Just keep their options open instead of backing themselves into a dumb corner.

Apart from that, I tested Amazon this week to see if they are going to put their new idea into practice before their patent is officially approved. The idea is to ship all those items you have in your wish list and shopping cart to the nearest warehouse (aka Fulfillment Center) in anticipation that you will buy it. So I placed both the Win7 Pro and the Win7 Ultimate in my shopping cart. Within 24 hours the price for the Ultimate dropped. Mind you, I've been watching them both for quite some time and those prices always stayed the same. Yesterday morning, Pro was sold out and moved in the Save For Later. When I clicked its page, Amazon has a notice for a newer one and provided the link. I clicked that link and its just another duplicate page from the same seller! Just no commentaries and the price has gone up.

Later in the evening I checked again and the same exact thing happened with Ultimate. I'm told more will come by February 1st, buy now in advance. I left it alone. Only to find this morning that it was no longer available and discovered that it has a duplicate page too from the same seller. This is all too funny! Oh, by the way, the seller is Microsoft.
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyWolfMaiden 26th January 2014, 18:40

We're going to have to upgrade our desktop to window 7 due to not being able to get it to start up properly. We got told by our internet provider that no one will even service XP after April 8th. But I can't imaging every single repair place, virus service, etc, just up and stopping.
LadyWolfMaiden

http://wolfstopgames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray 26th January 2014, 18:49

LadyWolfMaiden wrote:We're going to have to upgrade our desktop to window 7 due to not being able to get it to start up properly. We got told by our internet provider that no one will even service XP after April 8th. But I can't imaging every single repair place, virus service, etc, just up and stopping.
Please don't use bold or color. Please keep to the default text. This is reserved for the staff for moderation.

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by efbe 15th February 2014, 00:17

For those who will still want to use Windows XP safely after the expiry date, click on the link below.

http://www.robolinux.org/
efbe
efbe
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Hunk 24th February 2014, 01:22

For those who would like to learn about how to dual boot, this link will explain:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

You can have more than one operating system installed. They can be installed either on the same drive, or on another hard disk drive. The instruction shows how to install if you already have XP or Win7 as your primary OS. Links at the bottom of the page can teach you how to do it with Win8, Ubuntu, or Linux if you're interested.

Check first to see if your computer hardware meets the requirements and if those drivers for the OS you like to install are available from the computer manufacturer. If both are, then download those drivers and proceed with the installation. Good luck!

~~ Support for XP is set to expire in 44 days on April 8th. ~~
Captain Hunk
Captain Hunk
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses 5th April 2014, 19:55

I got a notification last week from my program Microsoft "Security Essentials" saying it will no longer be updating after April 8, 2014. so I uninstalled it. The little popup notification had a link to click for alternative programs to use. Anyway I downloaded AVG Free Edition and am running it now.

I heard on a news report that security programs are not going to give you the full protection desired, and your XP system will still be vulnerable.There are people waiting for April 8th to start hacking and distributing malware to XP users.

The only real solution is to upgrade to a newer operating system, but for those keeping XP, just be careful where you go and what you do with XP.
runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum