The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Remove Option For Members To Delete Their Accounts Via Forumotion's Own Link.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should The Option For Members To Delete Their Accounts Be Removed?

62% 62% 
[ 13 ]
38% 38% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 21

Remove Option For Members To Delete Their Accounts Via Forumotion's Own Link.

Post by Guest on July 29th 2013, 1:51 am

First topic message reminder :

On Forumotion forums members can at present delete their own accounts and unsubscribe for any Forumotion forum they want to. 

This is possible even if the admin has disabled the option for members to unsubscribe or delete themselves from your forum. As they can override us by going to the main FM site and clocking the unsubscribe link and entering the forum URL, email address and username they use on the FM forum concerned.

My suggestion is that Forumotion should remove the option for members to override the admins of other FM Forums and delete their accounts from our forums. As it's not fair on us admins. And also if we wanted members to have the option to delete their accounts from our forums, then we would have enabled it ourselves in the admin panel.

I put this forward as a suggestion because I myself am an ex-admin of a FM forum I used to have though I am still a members of other FM forums. And I know many Forumotion admins are very frustrated as members are deleting their own accounts. despite the fact that those admins have disabled this option in the admin panel. 

As far as I know Forumotion is the only free forum service that has this option. As on other services, such as Proboards and FreeFrorums.org, for example. A member can only delete their own account if the admin has enabled this in their forum settings. But on Forumotion that's not the case.

I understand their is some kind of obligation for admins to delete a members account from their forum if asked to by that member. But the most of the time members delete their accounts for no other reason except for they are "fed up with that forum,"  which is not a good excuse.

Most forums I am a member of don't allow members to delete their accounts.Though these are non FM forums,although the admins will deactivate the account on request. So that the posts remain on the forum but the username is changed to another one and all personal details of that member are removed, in most cases.

So my suggestion is that Forumotion remove the option for members to delete thir accounts on other Forumotion forums. What do you say folks?

Last edited by Andrea Borman on July 31st 2013, 5:27 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove Option For Members To Delete Their Accounts Via Forumotion's Own Link.

Post by Guest on July 31st 2013, 5:30 am

@Captain Hunk wrote:Still waiting for a correction to be made by the author of this thread before I vote. Maybe it can be written another way like "Remove Option To Delete Acct via FM's own link?" Then explain how that upsets the natural balance of things when a member uses said link.

Topic title has been changed to explain it clearer as you suggested.

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove Option For Members To Delete Their Accounts Via Forumotion's Own Link.

Post by SLGray on July 31st 2013, 7:41 am

To me this is really not necessary. Messages with guests as usernames does not really annoy me. You can delete them or archived them. Or re-post them with another account.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36641
Language : English

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on August 1st 2013, 11:41 pm

@SLGray wrote:To me this is really not necessary.  Messages with guests as usernames does not really annoy me.  You can delete them or archived them.  Or re-post them with another account.  
If a member wants to delete his or her account,you can change the username and remove all personal information from their profile. Then change the email address so they are not connected to that account. So that no personal data is associated with that account. That's one option.

Or you could delete their account but not their posts. So the account is removed but the posts will show as guest. Even if the member insists on the admin removing their account,you need only remove the account but not the posts. Unless the posts contain personal information then it might be different.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisible_fa on August 17th 2013, 2:38 am

For those who has voted "no", let me give you an example of how can this link be used for bad pruposes. Imagine next situation:

You have a forum with free registration (I mean, accounts not activated manually for the Admin).

One person registers in your forum, and waits for example 10 days without posting anything, but suddently, that user starts to post bad content in your form (spam, offensive images etc etc) and finally that user execute the link in his browser, so the spammer account dissapear and became a guest, so you canīt ban the account or hide the content, and you will have to delete all that posts one by one (imagine that the spammer has made 100 spam posts...)

An important think to remark is that the link doesnīt work unless that person have been registred since 7 days ago (thats why I said in my example that the spammers waits 10 days before start spamming)

So, if the spammers register into the forum, waits 7 days or more and starts spaming and finally he delete his own account....we have a serious problem...because we can do nothing to hide it, and this will be very disturbing for the rest of members.

invisible_fa
Forumember

Male Posts : 893
Language : Klingon
Location : Does it matter? I'm Invisible, you will not see me anyway

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on August 17th 2013, 6:17 am

Well say a member was spamming and you delete his account of course you would want to delete those posts. Though you could keep a record of the IP address,so you would know it's them if they sign up on the forum again. Though even if they don't delete their account,if they have 0 posts the IP would not show up unless they post. Or you catch them online the same time as you are.

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on August 17th 2013, 12:22 pm

The thing to do would be to immediately ban the IP address so they can't register again. Its not a problem if you ban the IP. If they delete their account with that link, fine who cares?, all you have to do is turn around and ban their IP so they can't register again. Problem solved.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on August 17th 2013, 1:25 pm

@invisible_fa wrote:For those who has voted "no", let me give you an example of how can this link be used for bad pruposes. Imagine next situation:

You have a forum with free registration (I mean, accounts not activated manually for the Admin).

One person registers in your forum, and waits for example 10 days without posting anything, but suddently, that user starts to post bad content in your form (spam, offensive images etc etc) and finally that user execute the link in his browser, so the spammer account dissapear and became a guest, so you canīt ban the account or hide the content, and you will have to delete all that posts one by one (imagine that the spammer has made 100 spam posts...)

An important think to remark is that the link doesnīt work unless that person have been registred since 7 days ago (thats why I said in my example that the spammers waits 10 days before start spamming)

So, if the spammers register into the forum, waits 7 days or more and starts spaming and finally he delete his own account....we have a serious problem...because we can do nothing to hide it, and this will be very disturbing for the rest of members.
Well about users who might abuse the forum by making spam posts after 10 days. I would not let it get that far because I would just delete those posts and ban the member. You could put that member in a restricted group where he can't post freely. Though you could just ban that member anyway as Runawayhorses says.

Back to top Go down

Post by TruStealth™ on January 13th 2014, 7:18 pm

If the option to delete your own profile wasn't an option it would cause more work for that staff as their pm boxes would be blowing up with please delete my account and all my information or there would be tons of topics relating to remove all my information and delete my username  so in my opinion I vote yes to allow members to delete their own account and remove all post they have created. I don't think banning their ip would be a wise thing to do because if they do re-register and they find out you banned them then you would have that user spoofing their ip and just cause major problems. I say leave it be if they wish to delete their account so be it that is their choice.

Last edited by BewizPro on January 13th 2014, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed the bold)

TruStealth™
Forumember

http://Sorry.No-Forum-Address-Given.sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on January 14th 2014, 4:53 am

Perhaps if the username remained instead of saying 'guest'. I think that would be acceptable.

Forum Rules : : Forumotion Staff : : Appeal A Warning : : FAQ : : Tips & Tricks : : Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by neukrotiva on January 16th 2014, 9:56 pm

yes

neukrotiva
Forumember

Female Posts : 135
Language : Croatian

http://www.crofriends.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on May 17th 2014, 8:46 am

Suggestion clean up.

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum