The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should you have the ability to remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link from your forum?

79% 79% 
[ 31 ]
21% 21% 
[ 8 ]
 
Total Votes : 39

Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 28th 2013, 10:48 pm

Hi everyone, recently some Members here posted in reference to some notifications they received in their Admin Panel informing them that a person reported an abuse about their forum. This was either a prank by a disgruntled banned member, or a server error, or it could have been someone looking to cause trouble just for kicks, in any case these forums were not breaking the forumotion TOS so we know the notifications were not warranted.

The problem here is that anyone including guests can click it and report your forum for whatever reason (if any) they have, and they need not explain why.

My suggestion is to have the ability to disable this "Report an abuse" link or hide it if we so choose. If a person wants to report an abuse why should we make it easy for them? Let them do the work and figure out how to report your forum. When a "Report an abuse" link is sitting their at the bottom on your forum it invites people to click it, especially someone looking to cause trouble for no apparent reason other than to pull a prank, and at your expense. Also quite frankly, it looks bad. I see no reason this link can't be removed.

Forum members already have the ability to "Report post to Moderator or Admin" located in every post next to the "quote" or "edit" buttons, if they need to bring a post to the attention of a Mod or the Admin, that is all the "Reporting" abilities we need to supply anyone. I think you'll agree that we should have the ability to remove this unnecessary "Report an abuse" link where anyone can click it, and need not supply a reason they are reporting it.

Vote "Yes" to cast your vote if you think that you definitely should have the ability to remove this footer link if you so choose, and for those that want to continue to make it easy for guests or anyone else to "report an abuse" about their forum, then vote no.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Ikerepc on August 28th 2013, 11:02 pm

Good idea, vote yes.

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1114
Reputation : 152
Language : Croatian, HTML, CSS, jQuery, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Bascom, Python, C, FBD & LAD for PLC and more... Little English :D
Location : Around electronics and progmamming ;)

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on August 29th 2013, 1:50 am

I like the report an abuse link. Even if I get 100 false ones, it is still a helpful tool to make sure your forum is not breaking the Terms of Service. Just imagine how many false reports the Forumotion litigation team gets.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35659
Reputation : 2375
Language : English
Location : United States

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 29th 2013, 2:53 am

Who's it helping when they leave no message? It certainly not helping me I've read the TOS.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on August 29th 2013, 3:22 am

I was just saying that false/faulty reports does not annoy/worry me.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35659
Reputation : 2375
Language : English
Location : United States

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Derri on August 29th 2013, 3:21 pm

I think we need stronger security defences such as hiding it for people we choose too via IP address. I think we should also have to receive an email address so we can personally contact the person to ask what the problem is. 

Can't it be hidden by CSS somehow?


Forum Rules : : Forumotion Staff : : Appeal A Warning : : FAQ : : Tips & Tricks : : Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public


Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Reputation : 571
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by mist3r0us_b0y on August 29th 2013, 3:28 pm

this does my forum gone Sad i lost this type of abuses Sad am pissd of now to create one more forum not safe Sad

mist3r0us_b0y
Forumember

Male Posts : 747
Reputation : 19
Language : english

http://sh.st/nJRXG

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Guest on August 29th 2013, 6:00 pm

i am like abuse report link but

pepoles miss using link fake report make and send

so its not good remove abuse report link thanku


Best Regards____________
Forumotion Support Forum

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on August 29th 2013, 8:39 pm

I really do not care you is using the report an abuse link. Just do not worry about it if it is a fake report just move it to the done reports.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35659
Reputation : 2375
Language : English
Location : United States

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by levy on August 29th 2013, 8:43 pm

You can hide that but it's your own risk :

Code removed
From what I know you are't allowed to remove the report.

levy
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2566
Reputation : 344
Language : Romanian, English
Location : Romania | Feel free to tag me into your topic if you have a problem

http://help.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by invisible_fa on August 30th 2013, 2:31 am

Hello.

I know that, unfortunately, banned members usually (very very often) use the report link to make false abuses against forums and that this can be really anoying...yeah, I can undestand your point of view very well...

But, be aware of one thing: abuses can be only seen by yourself....anyone more...so, dont worry.

If the banned member send you a fake report, just ignore it...

But there are other cases (for example someone that have created the forum a few days ago and he/she hasnīt read the TOS, so if someone see that forum, can contact the Admin saying 'Hey, I have noticed that you have this things that are ilegal. I recommend you to take them off if you donīt want to have your forum removed for technicians one day'

So the Admin will see the message and he/she will act consecuently.

So, as you can see, the report link can be used to disturb the site Admin but it can be used for good purposes aswell (that`s obviously the idea wich the report link was created for)

So....I am sorry but voted no.

P.S. removing the footer link is not allowed by Forumotion and your forum can be removed if you do that....so thatīs not the solution....the solution, as I said is just to ignore the fake abuses.

invisible_fa
Forumember

Male Posts : 885
Reputation : 18
Language : Klingon
Location : Does it matter? I'm Invisible, you will not see me anyway

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 30th 2013, 3:46 am

@invisible_fa

Whats wrong with the Admin having the "option" to remove it? The poll question is should the Admin have the ability to remove the link, it doesn't mean they have to.

We're not asking forumotion to remove it either, the poll is asking to give the Admin the ability or "option" to remove it if they want. You just voted that you don't want anyone to have a choice.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Sir Chivas™ on August 30th 2013, 6:14 am

candy_fear wrote:You can hide that but it's your own risk :

Code removed
Yes, users aren't allowed to remove any links from the footer. Can you please remove the code as you are aware that it's against the rules and you are pretty much handing out a code that will either cause a chaos of users asking why they've received a warning and so on . Thank you.


Regarding to the poll, I will have to vote no. As SLGray said above would be my opinion as well.

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6756
Reputation : 428
Language : English, Spanish, and French
Location : || CSS || HTML || Graphics Designs || Support ||

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 30th 2013, 7:46 am

@ Sir Shivas

Let me get this straight, because it doesn't annoy YOU and you aren't worried about it, no one should have the option to choose.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on August 30th 2013, 8:06 am

To me this is not a big issue that Forumotion should worry about.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35659
Reputation : 2375
Language : English
Location : United States

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Guest on August 30th 2013, 10:25 am

candy_fear wrote:You can hide that but it's your own risk :

Code removed
From what I know you are't allowed to remove the report.
tell me where is using this code in forum ?
i means install this ? css/ html/ java ?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 30th 2013, 2:37 pm

@SLGray wrote:To me this is not a big issue that Forumotion should worry about.  
I can appreciate that you feel forumotion isn't concerned about it, however, some Admin's get upset when they first read the abuse notifications because they don't know like the forumotion developers do that the majority of abuse reports are bogus, so they have to join the support forum write post and ask what to do about it, in the meantime stressed and upset over the reports.

Because forumotion isn't concerned about Abuse reports is missing the point here, to vote "Yes" is to help the Admin's of forumotion forums, to give them a choice to turn off the abuse notifications or disable it or remove the link. It gives them the option to stop getting annoyed by abusers. It has nothing to do with how the owners of forumotion feels. I would suggest you read the question the poll is asking again, its about "choices" for the Admin, its not about removing the link for everyone or is it about the importance of the abuse reports, its about giving the Admin the 'option" to disable or remove it.

If you don't think its a big issue for forumotion then why would you not support giving people the choice. I don't get the connection here, or the logic.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on August 30th 2013, 6:40 pm

__Ashiq__ wrote:
candy_fear wrote:You can hide that but it's your own risk :

From what I know you are't allowed to remove the report.
tell me where is using this code in forum ?
i means install this ? css/ html/ java
Do not use this because you will be breaking the Terms of Service.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35659
Reputation : 2375
Language : English
Location : United States

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by APE on August 30th 2013, 7:41 pm

I am sick of it getting used for no propper  report but i like that its there to so i can't work out what way to Vote  Sorry





APE
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 8321
Reputation : 717
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha
Location : STUCK IN FORUMOTIONS SERVERS HELP ME !!!!!!

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Derri on August 30th 2013, 7:47 pm

So receving fales abuse reports isn't actually seen as an issue? 

So someone could spam my abuse reports link and I can't do anything to stop them and therefore that wastes my time that I could be using looking at other thing but instead I've got to deal with false reports. 

I think that's wrong personally and I therefore feel we should have options to either remove, disable or prevent people spamming it. 

And we can't remove it with code because that breaks forumotions TOS so really we can't do anything. So I guess we have to put up with it.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Reputation : 571
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Base on August 30th 2013, 9:05 pm

@candy_fear, please do NOT post codes that allow members to break our terms of service. If you know that it's against our terms of service then why bother posting it in the first place? I have removed the code from all posts in this topic. If I see you post something similar again, I will not hesitate to issue you a warning.

If any members used the code, please remove it *immediately* as it is against our terms of service. Failure to so will result in forum termination.  Thank you for understanding.

Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Reputation : 1687
Language : English and French
Location : United Kingdom, England

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 30th 2013, 9:18 pm

@Derri wrote: I think that's wrong personally and I therefore feel we should have options to either remove, disable or prevent people spamming it. 

And we can't remove it with code because that breaks forumotions TOS so really we can't do anything. So I guess we have to put up with it.
That's what the poll is for, if enough people agree that we should have the option to remove that abuse link it stands a chance that forumotion will allow it and it will no longer be breaking the TOS to remove it.

I personally don't think it will happen anytime soon not because the cause is faulty, or unreasonable, because it isn't, but rather because there have been 100's of good suggestions that never got approved, or probably even looked at, so I don't expect this to get anymore priority than any of the other worthy suggestions.

With that said, its a good idea to get this subject on the burner nevertheless. I'll probably be old and grey by the time it ever gets approved but better late that never I always say.. lol

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Derri on August 30th 2013, 9:22 pm

I understand why Forumotion doesn't want it being removed as I agree the feature is useful and does have good uses but the problem is people can spam it and I therefore feel it should have some defences. Primarily relating to IP addresses meaning that if it detects more than one abuse report sent by the same IP address within say 24 hours or 48 hours that it doesn't allow the abuse report to be sent.

I do understand that it is useful but when people spam it, the usefulness rating goes down quite quickly.


Forum Rules : : Forumotion Staff : : Appeal A Warning : : FAQ : : Tips & Tricks : : Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public


Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Reputation : 571
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 30th 2013, 9:31 pm

Yeah I agree it has some uses, its not totally worthless, but the bad outweigh the good for people that would prefer to handle staying within the TOS themselves.

Actually this "abuse report" notification I got the other day as did many other people, was the very first one I ever received in the 5 years of my forums existence. So its not like its a problem that happens frequently or anything. But I understand from what I have been reading that some people have this issue a lot, so I thought I would try and help them out by starting this topic. I don't expect I'll get another notification for another 5 years quite frankly.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Sir Chivas™ on August 31st 2013, 6:54 am

@runawayhorses wrote:@ Sir Shivas

Let me get this straight, because it doesn't annoy YOU and you aren't worried about it, no one should have the option to choose.
No, it doesn't worry me nor annoy me. Since I know what content I have in my forum and I am aware of what's against Forumotion's TOS. Absolutely, those who have content that breaks the TOS would really love remove it. However, either way you will receive a warning from Forumotion if you're breaking the TOS. Now, there's always immature kids who don't have anything better to do and fill your ACP with false reports. All you have to do is read them, analyze them, and move them do the complete reports. If you don't enjoy doing this, hire an admin and give it to him as a task. (Not completely sure if other admins are able to view this option).

Sir Chivas™
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6756
Reputation : 428
Language : English, Spanish, and French
Location : || CSS || HTML || Graphics Designs || Support ||

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 31st 2013, 2:02 pm

Either way they will receive a warning but you should receive the abuse reports anyway even if most are phoney. Logic at its finest.

So my analogy was correct, as long as you're not annoyed no one else should have a choice, you don't want anyone to decided for themselves. Your alternative is for them to put someone else in charge if they don't like it (assuming they can read them). Do that so you don't have to read them. Sure that will make them feel better.

thank you for your enlightening input on the matter.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Guest on September 1st 2013, 6:47 am

Yes we should have the option to remove the report abuse link from our forums. there are some people that go from forum to forum using the report abuse link for no reason,other than they think it's a joke.

Both WordPress and Blogger have the option to disable such links,as do other free forums. So I don't see why we can't have this option on Forumotion. It's our forums so we should have a choice.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on September 1st 2013, 2:40 pm

Good observation Andrea, other hosts allow you to disable this intrusive link, so should forumotion.

Keep voting folks!

Vote "Yes" for the right to choose!

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Guest on September 1st 2013, 4:21 pm

Well Runawayhorses I was actually referring to Blogger and WordPress blogs as well as some other free forums.

Blogger lets you disable the navbar which a lot of people do,number one because it looks naff. Though the main reason is because a lot of spammers can flag your blog for no reason. Same with Wordpress and Proboards etc. That's why a lot of people disable this. 

Also when someone uses the report abuse link,although you can move it to"done abuses," the reports cannot be deleted from your admin panel. A lot of people are using the report abuse link because they think it's fun to annoy the admins. The funny thing is we can disable the report post button in our forum posts. Yet we can't disable the report abuse footer link. Don't make sense that.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on September 1st 2013, 6:06 pm

Yeah I know Wordpress does I use to have a website on that server, but I took it down when I lost interest in updating it.

This is about a persons right to decide and make a choice. I don't understand those that oppose a persons right to choose over something as trivial as this, well actually I do understand when you look at it real closely, its about obsessing over "controlling people". Ill leave it at that.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum