The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should you have the ability to remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link from your forum?

77% 77% 
[ 33 ]
23% 23% 
[ 10 ]
 
Total Votes : 43

Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by runawayhorses on August 28th 2013, 10:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone, recently some Members here posted in reference to some notifications they received in their Admin Panel informing them that a person reported an abuse about their forum. This was either a prank by a disgruntled banned member, or a server error, or it could have been someone looking to cause trouble just for kicks, in any case these forums were not breaking the forumotion TOS so we know the notifications were not warranted.

The problem here is that anyone including guests can click it and report your forum for whatever reason (if any) they have, and they need not explain why.

My suggestion is to have the ability to disable this "Report an abuse" link or hide it if we so choose. If a person wants to report an abuse why should we make it easy for them? Let them do the work and figure out how to report your forum. When a "Report an abuse" link is sitting their at the bottom on your forum it invites people to click it, especially someone looking to cause trouble for no apparent reason other than to pull a prank, and at your expense. Also quite frankly, it looks bad. I see no reason this link can't be removed.

Forum members already have the ability to "Report post to Moderator or Admin" located in every post next to the "quote" or "edit" buttons, if they need to bring a post to the attention of a Mod or the Admin, that is all the "Reporting" abilities we need to supply anyone. I think you'll agree that we should have the ability to remove this unnecessary "Report an abuse" link where anyone can click it, and need not supply a reason they are reporting it.

Vote "Yes" to cast your vote if you think that you definitely should have the ability to remove this footer link if you so choose, and for those that want to continue to make it easy for guests or anyone else to "report an abuse" about their forum, then vote no.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Reputation : 162
Language : English
Location : United States

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down


Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Guest on September 1st 2013, 6:21 pm

@runawayhorses wrote:Yeah I know Wordpress does I use to have a website on that server, but I took it down when I lost interest in updating it.

This is about a persons right to decide and make a choice. I don't understand those that oppose a persons right to choose over something as trivial as this, well actually I do understand when you look at it real closely, its about obsessing over "controlling people". Ill leave it at that.
Well we know that the report abuse footer link doesn't go to the FM litigation teams as I have tested it out myself. So I cannot see the point in having it. Though we should have the choice of removing it anyway.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by ShowStopper on September 16th 2013, 11:59 pm

If an admin of a legit forum got a bad report and didn't know how the report system works, they could get pretty stressed about the whole ordeal.

I have had to report a forum that was breaking TOS before. If that link hadn't been there I wouldn't have been sure where or how to report it.

If an admin was able to remove that link, I'm quite sure that admins who knew their forum broke TOS would remove the link to try to prevent their forum from being reported.

ShowStopper
Forumember

Female Posts : 68
Reputation : 1
Language : English | HTML | Javascript | CSS

http://heroesnetwork.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Jenn_Ivan on April 4th 2014, 8:24 am

I agree that we, as Admins, should have the option to disable the "Abuse Complaint" function. I have been threatened, blackmailed and harassed excessively since the day I opened my forum which was over 13 months ago now. And if said forum is like mine, where it is invisible to the public, why would we need an Abuse Complaint function anyways? If the members have a problem with a post or TOS, they can speak to the Admin or one of the Moderators.

And if there is a legitimate complaint about a forum that is breaking the TOS it should be reported to Forumotion. I am willing to bet that the Abuse Complaint function is rarely used for actual abuses. If anything it is abused by rival forums, banned members and people who have problems with the staff of the forum.

I genuinely hope that this thread is taken seriously by Forumotion and they will seriously consider giving us the option to disable the Abuse Complaint option.

Jenn_Ivan
Forumember

Posts : 43
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on April 4th 2014, 8:59 pm

Not just members can use the report an abuse link, guests can use it, too. It is a link that is required to help founders to know if there is anything on the forum that breaks the Terms of Service. Yes, some people misuse it. All you have to do with fake reports is to move them to the done reports.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36735
Reputation : 2446
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by TheShaka on April 4th 2014, 10:13 pm

Vote yes.
I remember when i ban one guy later he report my forum What the fuck ?!? this report system is really bad need update or something...

TheShaka
Forumember

Male Posts : 413
Reputation : 6
Language : polish

http://seiya.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by BL@DE on April 4th 2014, 10:48 pm

I think YES.

BL@DE
Forumember

Male Posts : 156
Reputation : 10
Language : English
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on April 5th 2014, 12:59 am

@TheShaka wrote:Vote yes.
I remember when i ban one guy later he report my forum What the fuck ?!? this report system is really bad need update or something...
Reporting a forum is different from using the report an abuse link.

Report an Abuse only goes to the administrators of the forum

(litigation) Reporting a forum goes to Forumotion.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36735
Reputation : 2446
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Jenn_Ivan on April 5th 2014, 4:33 am

@SLGray wrote:Not just members can use the report an abuse link, guests can use it, too. It is a link that is required to help founders to know if there is anything on the forum that breaks the Terms of Service. Yes, some people misuse it. All you have to do with fake reports is to move them to the done reports.
My point is, why would a private forum (where all sections are hidden from the public) need an Abuse Complaint option? And also, the Admin should already know the TOS when creating their forum, why do they need the public's opinion on what is abuse or not?

You might feel differently about that Abuse Complaint option if you have been constantly stalked, blackmailed, threatened and harassed for over 13 months.

Jenn_Ivan
Forumember

Posts : 43
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Sozinho on April 5th 2014, 4:41 am

As other says that there are many false report about forums too because of this report abuse, this is a time wasting and this kind of report also threatens the admin of the forum(overthinking that his forum might be deleted for this reason)

It's simple, aside the this report abuse, there's still more footer links availabl if that is the only link to be removed.

Sozinho
Forumember

Male Posts : 172
Reputation : 4
Language : English
Location : Philippines

http://appzxor.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on April 5th 2014, 10:50 am

Well, its a link that can not be removed even with using credits, so do you believe Forumotion will give the option to administrators to remove it?


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36735
Reputation : 2446
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Derri on April 5th 2014, 12:13 pm

Personally I'm mixed on this as false reports are very annoying and if someone is spamming it then something should be done by either banning that persons IP from using it or an ability to temporarily take it offline.

Besides, FM can issue warnings to forums that violate the TOS


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public


Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8386
Reputation : 577
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Jenn_Ivan on April 5th 2014, 1:54 pm

I hope that Forumotion does give us the option to remove it. I'd even be willing to use credits to get rid of it. So not only would Administrators benefit from it, but so would Forumotion.

Also, it is kind of hard to ban someone's IP when they keep coming back with a proxy via "hidemyass". If we can't remove the Abuse Complaint function, I wish we could at least block off proxy servers. It is just way too easy for trolls to spam Forumotion forums which really sucks because I actually enjoy everything else about Forumotion except for this Abuse Complaint thing.

Jenn_Ivan
Forumember

Posts : 43
Reputation : 2
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by T.R24 on April 5th 2014, 5:04 pm

Let's face it, this isn't going to happen.

T.R24
New Member

Posts : 15
Reputation : 1
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Count Dooku on January 17th 2015, 3:21 pm

Absolutely not, it is put for a reason.
Sorry, but I won't vote.

Count Dooku
Forumember

Posts : 279
Reputation : 2
Language : English, French, some Arabic

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on December 12th 2015, 5:49 am

Bumping to move this suggestion to the first page.


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36735
Reputation : 2446
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Wolfuryo on December 12th 2015, 6:37 am

Hello,

You can remove the link via CSS and when somebody is on the report abuse page, you can use a JavaScript to redirect them to the homepage. Unfortunatelly, I don't think it is legal.
I think there should be an option added for us to see the IP of the person who sent the report.
Voted YES.

Wolfuryo
Forumember

Posts : 48
Reputation : 15
Language : Romanian and English

http://board.realmsn.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by rocket2300 on February 4th 2016, 10:29 am

@SLGray wrote:
Reporting a forum is different from using the report an abuse link.

Report an Abuse only goes to the administrators of the forum

(litigation) Reporting a forum goes to Forumotion.

So if someone clicks on the "report an abuse" link and chooses say one of these option:-

Sexual and/or pornographic content
Violent or repulsive content
Hateful or abusive content
Defamatory content and / or affecting the integrity of a person
Harmful and dangerous acts
Drugs and any other illicit substance

The report only goes to the Admin of that forum and no where else ??.

rocket2300
Forumember

Male Posts : 214
Reputation : 4
Language : english
Location : United Kingdom

http://www.suzuki-intruder.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by SLGray on February 4th 2016, 11:04 am

@rocket2300 wrote:
@SLGray wrote:
Reporting a forum is different from using the report an abuse link.

Report an Abuse only goes to the administrators of the forum

(litigation) Reporting a forum goes to Forumotion.

So if someone clicks on the "report an abuse" link and chooses say one of these option:-

Sexual and/or pornographic content
Violent or repulsive content
Hateful or abusive content
Defamatory content and / or affecting the integrity of a person
Harmful and dangerous acts
Drugs and any other illicit substance

The report only goes to the Admin of that forum and no where else ??.
That is correct. This is the link to send a report to Forumotion's litigation team: http://www.forumotion.com/litigation .


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.


SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 36735
Reputation : 2446
Language : English
Location : United States

http://ztwds.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Wolfuryo on February 5th 2016, 8:22 am

You can remove it with some CSS:
Code:
a[href="/abuse"]{display:none !important}

Wolfuryo
Forumember

Posts : 48
Reputation : 15
Language : Romanian and English

http://board.realmsn.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by rocket2300 on February 5th 2016, 10:51 am

@SLGray wrote:
@rocket2300 wrote:
@SLGray wrote:
Reporting a forum is different from using the report an abuse link.

Report an Abuse only goes to the administrators of the forum

(litigation) Reporting a forum goes to Forumotion.

So if someone clicks on the "report an abuse" link and chooses say one of these option:-

Sexual and/or pornographic content
Violent or repulsive content
Hateful or abusive content
Defamatory content and / or affecting the integrity of a person
Harmful and dangerous acts
Drugs and any other illicit substance

The report only goes to the Admin of that forum and no where else ??.
That is correct. This is the link to send a report to Forumotion's litigation team: http://www.forumotion.com/litigation .

Ok, well ive voted no then, I personally don't have a problem with it. thumright

rocket2300
Forumember

Male Posts : 214
Reputation : 4
Language : english
Location : United Kingdom

http://www.suzuki-intruder.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Flappypaddles on October 14th 2016, 5:23 pm

@runawayhorses wrote:Hi everyone, recently some Members here posted in reference to some notifications they received in their Admin Panel informing them that a person reported an abuse about their forum. This was either a prank by a disgruntled banned member, or a server error, or it could have been someone looking to cause trouble just for kicks, in any case these forums were not breaking the forumotion TOS so we know the notifications were not warranted.

The problem here is that anyone including guests can click it and report your forum for whatever reason (if any) they have, and they need not explain why.

My suggestion is to have the ability to disable this "Report an abuse" link or hide it if we so choose. If a person wants to report an abuse why should we make it easy for them? Let them do the work and figure out how to report your forum. When a "Report an abuse" link is sitting their at the bottom on your forum it invites people to click it, especially someone looking to cause trouble for no apparent reason other than to pull a prank, and at your expense. Also quite frankly, it looks bad. I see no reason this link can't be removed.

Forum members already have the ability to "Report post to Moderator or Admin" located in every post next to the "quote" or "edit" buttons, if they need to bring a post to the attention of a Mod or the Admin, that is all the "Reporting" abilities we need to supply anyone. I think you'll agree that we should have the ability to remove this unnecessary "Report an abuse" link where anyone can click it, and need not supply a reason they are reporting it.

Vote "Yes" to cast your vote if you think that you definitely should have the ability to remove this footer link if you so choose, and for those that want to continue to make it easy for guests or anyone else to "report an abuse" about their forum, then vote no.
it might be more helpful if the abuses reported came with the ip of those reporting them. I get loads of reports, all from the same little sicko containing loads of abuse and threats. I would rather like not to have to put up with that sort of constant abuse and threats. As he is no longer a member I cannot ban him or his ip(s). If ip info was provided as well I could at least require him to reboot his router or find another proxy.

Flappypaddles
Forumember

Posts : 249
Reputation : 1
Language : english

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by brandon_g on October 14th 2016, 6:12 pm

This will never happen. It can not LEGALLY happen. The report an abuse link is one of those things that FM is required to have on forums under French law (hence why it can not be removed by credits either). So unfornatelly, even if Forumotion wanted to remove this, it couldn't due to the law.

-Brandon


Last edited by brandon_g on October 14th 2016, 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total


Remember to mark your topic when a solution is found.

brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 5358
Reputation : 489
Language : English
Location : USA

http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by Flappypaddles on October 14th 2016, 7:13 pm

@brandon_g wrote:This will never happen. It can not LEGALLY happen. The report an abuse link is one of those things that FM is required to have on forums under French law (hence why it can not he removed by credits either). So unfornatelly, even if Forumotion wanted to remove this, it couldn't due to the law.

-Brandon
they could include the ip though surely

Flappypaddles
Forumember

Posts : 249
Reputation : 1
Language : english

http://inaflap.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by brandon_g on October 14th 2016, 7:27 pm

Maybe, but even so. It can be so easy to change ones ip or use a proxy server or site nowadays that if someone wanted to spam a system, they hide their real ip and esstenially make ip bans in effective anyway.

Honestly I have never gotten any reports ever through the report an abuse link, ligitmate or otherwise, except for one I sent as a test to see what would come up in the admin panel.

So for me, I havent seen the abusing of this feature, but of course I am not saying it doesn't happen. It probably does on some forums without a doubt. I am just saying that I don't experience it and really don't even think many users notice it anyway to be honest with you, so removing it seems un nessecary anyway in my opinion.

-Brandon


Remember to mark your topic when a solution is found.

brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 5358
Reputation : 489
Language : English
Location : USA

http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Remove the "Report an abuse" Footer Link

Post by ChanelW on October 19th 2016, 9:26 pm

I don't agree to this. very old suggestion haha. Erm no this would be horrible as most people have stated this would be a diaster and we would have a lot of grief referring to this. It is nice to know everyone is safe on forums and free from cyber-bullying etc that's why it is essential to have the 'report an abuse' button enabled on your forum.

Thanks,
ChanelW Smile

ChanelW
Trial Reviewer
Trial Reviewer

Posts : 272
Reputation : 35
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum