The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

How do you keep your forum alive?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you keep your forum alive?

Post by Rhino.Freak on September 26th 2013, 5:27 pm

So my question is, how do you keep your forum lively, active and fun? How do you guys get lots of members?
I created to discuss and as well as see some ideas so my almost dead forum revives again.
Tell your opinions.

Rhino.Freak
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1243
Language : English

http://freetest.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you keep your forum alive?

Post by MasterofChaos on September 26th 2013, 6:56 pm

start something new and unheard of anywhere that forum members would love to do..also recruiting helps along with the new idea

MasterofChaos
Forumember

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on September 29th 2013, 2:10 am

My forum is basically a small group of people that came over from a game site that once had message boards, when they shut down their message boards some of the posters came to the forum. They are devoted and loyal members that been there for years, and they all have facebook accounts they post at when not on the forum.

I'll use a General discussion forum for my example but this applies to all forums types because all forums have members, and the theory is no different for what type of forum you run because people are the same everywhere, they are all people looking to read and post something of interest, period.

The key to a successful forum with any group of people be it a large group or small can be summed up in one word, that word is "Interesting", if you can't be interesting then you will fail at running a forum, its s simple as that. Not everyone possesses the ability to be interesting, some are boring by nature it can't be helped, and probably have no business running a forum. No members you recruit can save it, you as the Admin are looked upon as a leader figure, and if they don't find you interesting or smart they won't stick around very long. What makes people "interesting" on a forum you ask? Its saying whats really on your mind in a brutally blunt fashion, and knowing when to be polite and bite your tongue if need be. You must be willing to speak your mind unafraid of stepping on anyone's toes. Its much like talk radio in that respect, if you are polite and nice all the time unwilling and voice your real opinions you will get bad ratings because no one is interested in listening to someone nice and polite go on and on with their "niceness" unwilling to voice there TRUE opinions. Everyone has an opinion that someone else doesn't agree with, and if you are unwilling to step out of your comfort zone and speak your mind and step on toes you will fail. Its the harsh reality of ratings there is no getting around it. Mr. Nice Guy doesn't work in the talk radio or any discussion venue. Its boring and people WILL tune you out, or in this scenario log out of your forum and go elsewhere to find entertainment. You must learn to write coherently so you are understood without any doubts, it makes for a better read.

People that think they simply need to recruit members and hire "staff" to fill the gap are sadly mistaken, the admin must come out of his box and present his opinions, if hes good at it and interesting the forum has a chance of succeeding, if hes boring and his posts are lame the forum will fail no matter how many staff members you have, or how many members you happen to have at that time. You as an admin are expected to voice your opinion in an interesting way, if you expect others to do the same.

Having too many staff members is a big mistake, you need to run it yourself if you can because the simple fact is people don't like having a lot of people over them, one is enough being the admin, you should only have a staff member if its absolutely necessary because your forum is so busy that you can't keep all the people from breaking the rules, so you have to have someone help you. If you have 10,000 members and none of them ever breaks a rule or becomes unmanageable, you don't need a staff member you should run it yourself. You are the main reason they joined your forum and not another. The emphasis people put on the admin is greater than you think, and its a reality you must face if you are to have any kind of success with a forum. Longevity of a forum represents members posting at your forum for a long time, its not how many members you have thats important, its the quality of time the members you do have spend on your forum. That represents the forum has kept them interested. If you have only 10 members out of 500 that post on a regular basis you have done well on the internet. Big forums with very little returning posters is an all too familiar scenario, and represents the amount of people that joined and their expectations were not met, its better to have a small membership that post regularly than a large that never does.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on September 29th 2013, 3:20 am

Advertisement
Friends & family
Online reviews
And a good personality Smile

I own a rpg site and got 84 members right now

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhino.Freak on September 30th 2013, 12:00 pm

you know, I have like.. 415 members now.. they join, and never post! There was a time when the site was active, now all people have made a mindset that the forum has "died", and due to that, its actually dying! I have made lots of interesting stuff etc.. but still.. people don't really appreciate it.. I can't seem to find a reason to it :/

Rhino.Freak
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1243

http://freetest.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Allendra on October 1st 2013, 3:16 am

A good way to keep a forum alive, is the make sure that a site event is going on. Keep the members interested. It helps to make sure that they are posting with one another as well as bringing in new members. If the forum has had the same layout for a while, maybe a new skin would make a huge difference to attract old member's and new member's attention. Try and advertise your site around and get people talking about it. Smile

Allendra

http://evernightacademy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Unforgetable on October 1st 2013, 4:39 am

Having good graphics, organized theme, and 100% finished forum.
Other than that, having a forum that nobody can find, or never heard of. Smile

Unforgetable

http://graphicscentral.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Base on October 2nd 2013, 4:21 pm

An active admin is a must.

If the admin never comes on then your members will probably not visit your forum. An active admin shows that the forum is still alive, even if the admin doesn't post much. Although, the more they post, the better. Smile

Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange Tuteur on October 4th 2013, 12:16 am

Base is correct about an active Administrator.

When I was ambitious about the one forum I created, I used to post at least a minimum of 10 posts a day. I remember there being a large number of visitors as well as a few handful of members. Now that I have begun to lose interest in that forum, I noticed overall activity has dropped; low guests, and me being the only member connected during 24hrs.

Ange Tuteur
Forumaster

Male Posts : 13021
Language : EN10, FR5

http://fmdesign.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on October 4th 2013, 3:26 am

I think when a forum is very early on then you need to be prepared to put in the time and effort. Personally you being an active member (the main administrator) is obviously key but networking is even more important.

If you don't network with others then you have a problem as growth will be very very slow. You need to make connections and email administrators of similar forums and ask if you can do some kind of exchange or advertising campaign. Furthermore you need to join a lot of these websites that offer promotion and promote your forum until you're blue in the face and keep regular updates of your forum.

Finally building a team of dedicated members and then finally staff. You need to keep your members interested in the content and you need to encourage them to post. Having a forum currency is a fantastic way to encourage them to post as you can hold posting competitions etc.

Building a team of staff is important but don't be over ambitious. For example if you need a moderator then get one but don't advertise it as "you're looking for someone to help maintain the forums", yes include that but stress you want an active member and poster and say that you're looking for someone who'll create content and help you build the site even better.

One last thing to note would be to avoid making too many "big" changes as those who make sudden, unjust changes will often be looked at as if they don't know what they're doing and can even put members off. Make slow changes and always let your members know why and when you're going to make them.

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on October 4th 2013, 3:55 am

The reason I don't agree with that Derri is because networking is useless if the forum is not interesting. You could advertise it on television but if the forum is boring and inactive all the promotion in the world is not going to save it or do much good. You might get some more members but that doesn't necessarily mean they will post. Which brings us back to the original point Base and Seth and myself were making, if the Admin doesn't apply himself to make interesting posts often then the forum will suffer. The people must be giving a reason to reply to a post or create new topics, and that takes some interesting posts to reply to and an active membership to read it, so it motivates new members to start new topics. They are not going to waste their time starting topics that they feel no one is going to read anyway.

Advertising something that no one is interested in is pointless, they take one look at it and walk away.

To coin a phrase, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by trachntr on October 4th 2013, 1:45 pm

Good topic. Thanks for the replies.

trachntr

Male Posts : 7

http://www.apassionforwhitetail.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on October 4th 2013, 2:28 pm

The last points I'd like to make are this, building a team of "staff" (snicker) for a new forum only purpose would seem to be that it inflates the Admin's ego, and gives them a false sense of importance. Granted, a "staff" member could help in creating new topics or even aid in the designing of the forum, but quite frankly this is a job the Admin's should be good at and enjoy, and not need any help with, especially with a new forum. Members will jump in soon enough and start creating topics soon after you if your topics are interesting. Having too many "staff" members is a major deterrent for members and should be avoided if possible. The only exceptions should be because the forum is so busy and the members are becoming unmanageable from breaking the TOS, or are breaking forum 'rules', so they need some help in that department.

Finally the other point that needs addressing is the "changing of forum design too often" issue, which was brought up as something to be avoided, and if its done it should be done slowly and the members informed. I couldn't agree less about that. There is no shred of evidence to support that line of thought, or logic to suggest it makes the Admin appear they "don't know what they're doing". Its been my experience members pay very little attention to the design of the forum, thats because its simply not interesting to them, they are more focused on the posts on the forum and making replies (as they should be) and could care less about reading the changes you made to the design, or even that changes were made. This is a non-issue. The design of the forum is only interesting to other designers and forum owners. Sure members can appreciate a nice looking site and its functionality, but they'd rather not discuss it, so it need not be brought up every time you change a color or background, for example.

Changing the design of a forum is totally at the Admins convenience and should not be looked upon as a 'negative' if he chooses to do it often. It has no impact on the membership or its success, only the posts have that power, and they should be interesting.

Of course these are all our opinions in an effort to help with this topics question, you can take them or leave them, or take parts of it with you that you agree with. Smile

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on October 4th 2013, 3:30 pm

@runawayhorses wrote:The reason I don't agree with that Derri is because networking is useless if the forum is not interesting. You could advertise it on television but if the forum is boring and inactive all the promotion in the world is not going to save it or do much good. You might get some more members but that doesn't necessarily mean they will post. Which brings us back to the original point Base and Seth and myself were making, if the Admin doesn't apply himself to make interesting posts often then the forum will suffer. The people must be giving a reason to reply to a post or create new topics, and that takes some interesting posts to reply to and an active membership to read it, so it motivates new members to start new topics. They are not going to waste their time starting topics that they feel no one is going to read anyway.

Advertising something that no one is interested in is pointless, they take one look at it and walk away.

Well obviously a forum needs interesting content, I thought that was a given and therefore didn't feel the need to state what 3 other people have already said. However if you don't network them chances are your content could be missed. You could have the best original content in the world for your forum but if you don't advertise and communicate with others then that content is missed.

Also many topics that forums have are over-saturated, its almost silly to consider doing gaming forums now-a-days because thousands of others have done it before you and are very successful doing it. The only way to get a foothold in that market is to make contacts with others and network with them. Of course content needs to be interesting but in an over-saturated market.

The last points I'd like to make are this, building a team of "staff" (snicker) for a new forum only purpose would seem to be that it inflates the Admin's ego, and gives them a false sense of importance. Granted, a "staff" member could help in creating new topics or even aid in the designing of the forum, but quite frankly this is a job the Admin's should be good at and enjoy, and not need any help with, especially with a new forum. Members will jump in soon enough and start creating topics soon after you if your topics are interesting. Having too many "staff" members is a major deterrent for members and should be avoided if possible. The only exceptions should be because the forum is so busy and the members are becoming unmanageable from breaking the TOS, or are breaking forum 'rules', so they need some help in that department.
The reason I said to build a team of staff and when I say team I obviously mean start small by one moderator and then when the forum does become busy add more as needed. Having one other person to bounce ideas off of and talk too about forum changes and other aspects is a good idea and also having someone help out with creating content is a good idea. Anyone with half a brain would know hiring too many moderators at the start is a bad idea but having one other person who cares about the forum and wants it too succeed isn't a bad idea.

Finally the other point that needs addressing is the "changing of forum design too often" issue, which was brought up as something to be avoided, and if its done it should be done slowly and the members informed. I couldn't agree less about that. There is no shred of evidence to support that line of thought, or logic to suggest it makes the Admin appear they "don't know what they're doing". Its been my experience members pay very little attention to the design of the forum, thats because its simply not interesting to them, they are more focused on the posts on the forum and making replies (as they should be) and could care less about reading the changes you made to the design, or even that changes were made. This is a non-issue. The design of the forum is only interesting to other designers and forum owners. Sure members can appreciate a nice looking site and its functionality, but they'd rather not discuss it, so it need not be brought up every time you change a color or background, for example.
Not necessarily design purposes, I did focus on that as forumotion only allows one theme at a time (unless you choose a theme changer but those are somewhat difficult to install unless you have the knowledge)

My point was more making too many changes in a short amount of time whether it be staff, design, features, rules etc can all lead to members getting tired and leaving. If you change and enforce strict rules many people will leave, if you takeaway or add features that people like or dislike then people will leave.

I was a member of a forum around two years ago, and he actually started a semi successful forum, meaning he was growing steadily per day e.g. a few members would join a day and post around and he got too something like 100 members and then he made fatal flaws by making too many changes and enforcing strict rules that didn't need to exist. In the end because you couldn't predict what he'd be doing one day to the next the forum lost a lot of its members and people stopped visiting.

Change needs to happen slowly and gradually with time. Forums especially develop over time and change as the times change. I've been a member of a forum that's been around for over 9 years and it started really small and grew with time and changed with time.

Some people are over ambitious and make too many changes in such a quick a time and this can put members off.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on October 4th 2013, 3:51 pm

@Derri wrote:
@runawayhorses wrote:The reason I don't agree with that Derri is because networking is useless if the forum is not interesting. You could advertise it on television but if the forum is boring and inactive all the promotion in the world is not going to save it or do much good. You might get some more members but that doesn't necessarily mean they will post. Which brings us back to the original point Base and Seth and myself were making, if the Admin doesn't apply himself to make interesting posts often then the forum will suffer. The people must be giving a reason to reply to a post or create new topics, and that takes some interesting posts to reply to and an active membership to read it, so it motivates new members to start new topics. They are not going to waste their time starting topics that they feel no one is going to read anyway.

Well obviously a forum needs interesting content, I thought that was a given and therefore didn't feel the need to state what 3 other people have already said. However if you don't network them chances are your content could be missed. You could have the best original content in the world for your forum but if you don't advertise and communicate with others then that content is missed.
You suggested they start networking "very early on" and that it had more importance than the Admin being an active member.

If you network "very early on" before you have the content it is indeed pointless, if you do then you are losing potential members that might have joined if you had some interesting topics for them to read. Therefore the importance of a new forum is getting the content 'first' then advertise, not advertise first then adding the content. So your statement that its more important to first "network" for a new forum is questionable, because its obviously more important for the admin to first have interesting content.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on October 5th 2013, 6:36 am

@runawayhorses wrote:
@Derri wrote:

You suggested they start networking "very early on" and that it had more importance than the Admin being an active member.

If you network "very early on" before you have the content it is indeed pointless, if you do then you are losing potential members that might have joined if you had some interesting topics for them to read. Therefore the importance of a new forum is getting the content 'first' then advertise, not advertise first then adding the content. So your statement that its more important to first "network" for a new forum is questionable, because its obviously more important for the admin to first have interesting content.

Networking with content is obviously essential. I assumed people would know this. Networking without content would be pointless as it would be drawing people to an empty forum However creating content and networking at the same time isn't bad idea and that is why I said to do it early on. Creating content doesn't take a long time, I am member of a Playsation 4 forum and its been operational since mid May I think and by June the admin was already networking with similar and other gaming forums. If you have some existing content then networking early on and adding to your forums content isn't a bad idea.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on October 5th 2013, 2:25 pm

@Derri wrote:Networking with content is obviously essential. I assumed people would know this.
I assumed you would know it but didn't appear that you did..

Another thing that will help to "keep your forum alive" is to add your site url to "Website Directories" and leave a nice description of your forum. Of course do the obvious first and add your forum to search engines.

On the "staff" issue I'd like to point out and make clear that I believe its absolutely necessary for this forum, and other official support forums for their respective severs to have plenty of staff members, this forum is an exception to the points I made earlier for obvious reasons that are not necessary to explain, because we are all aware of the need for staff members at support forums like this one. And on that note I'd like to say that the staff here are doing a great job and are appreciated very much. But I would also like to reiterate to the regular (average) forum Admin's to not copycat this forums staff member implementation by adding staff members like this one does, your forum is not in the same league as this one and does not have the same needs and requirements. Help forums need staff and often times non-staff members to help out. Ok? nuff said.. Smile

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by ZazzleStars on October 12th 2013, 12:27 am

WOW Great info, I hope this thread will keep getting updated. Thank You!!

ZazzleStars

Female Posts : 4

http://zazzlestars.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by S1n on October 21st 2013, 12:35 pm

Being friendly and supportive, being strict enough so members can follow your rules. inviting people, keeping it user-friendly, and simple.

S1n

http://chaosforums.the-talk.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadster on December 20th 2013, 10:19 pm

Personally, I just provide new services, do new events and just keep updating the site often! I do things that just keep the members and staff interested when they are here with us! I just do my best to keep things interesting for them all to keep them interested in coming back!

Jadster
Forumember

Male Posts : 659

http://adminvortex.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 on December 23rd 2013, 2:21 am

A very nice discussion in this thread that I think any forum owner can take advice from. Just thought I'd write down my take on a few things:

I agree that your forum definitely has to be interesting, and the admin should certainly be interesting as well, but most importantly, the topic of your forum and what it's based on should be the most interesting thing. If it's a one man show all about the admin, who's maybe an interesting person, it's not going to be interesting in the long run. Make yourself interesting, but don't put yourself before the forum, that probably won't go too well in the long run.

The number of staff is important as was previously mentioned as well. When you've got less than 100 members, it probably isn't necessary to have any staff members. Instead, you should try and build a close-knit community who all feel part of the development stage of your forum. Ask them for ideas, and certainly encourage them to post around and create good content on your forum as much as they can. These members and the content they create will hopefully form the foundations of your forum. The hard part at the early stages is getting those members. The best thing to do is probably just invite members from other communities to your forum, and make it feel like it's their forum as well. Don't make any of them staff yet, those who are made staff will stick around and there's a chance the other's who initially helped but weren't made staff could leave. As your site progresses more staff members are required, not just if you are struggling to keep the place tidy, you need people to share ideas and collaborate with. Not all the ideas will come from you, some of the best will come from staff and regular members. The problems mentioned about having too many staff are true. I'm guessing people won't like it if they've got hundreds of people 'superior' to them.

I think networking is important, but it's pretty obvious that you need to have content before you advertise your forum on a large scale. Who's going to join a forum with no posts? At the same time, who's going to join a forum where the admin is just talking to himself? The early foundations (initial members and their content) are the most important - and the most difficult - parts of your forum to create. Once you've got that in place, you've got to find your target audience via larger, more popular related sites (not forums, as that would be pointless). Ask them if they want to exchange links, or if they can maybe post a little tweet to their hundreds/thousands of followers for you. You've got to be pretty direct in finding your audience. Youtube is a good place as well to advertise. Ask youtubers who make videos related to your forum topic to give you a shoutout and see what they say. For bigger youtubers, it won't always be free. Make sure you've got your site listed on google and all of the other search engines as well. A smart thing to do is think of what sort of things people are typing in to google that relate to your topic. If you think thousands of people will be typing in "PS4 release date" then make a topic on your forum called exactly "PS4 release date" with all the relevant info inside the topic. Give it a try, if you do it right it can work a treat.

Now I'm realising this topic is about keeping your forum alive, but I think it's important that you get a proper start and the proper foundations in place before you even consider the thought of keeping it alive. To keep it ticking over though, always have things for your members to do. An active event at all times gives then a reason to login. For example, on my site we're currently running an event related to Christmas, where we have a new giveaway/prize every couple of days. These sort of things keep people interested. Don't get lazy on it once you've got a few hundred members or whatever, you still not to put the work in.

Just remember, the first 100 members is a lot more difficult to achieve than the first 1,000. Once you get there, if you keep at it, 2,000...3,000 etc will come before you know it, and achieving those will seem a lot easier and a lot more rewarding.

Neymar1
Forumember

Male Posts : 406
Language : HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript

http://www.simplyfifa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on December 23rd 2013, 5:55 pm

Good post Neymar I agree with most of your comments made here with the exception of one I'll point out where you mentioned "An active event at all times gives then a reason to login". I think the single and most important reason anyone ever logs into a forum is to read and comment on posts and to create new topics. If that isn't the main reason then your forum has some serious issues. Its been my observation that events are always secondary and an afterthought, and they are never responsible for returning members, only interesting posts have that power. Most events and contests are extremely bad failures and is not why members joined the forum in the first place. They often more times than not seen as corny and a waste of time. Members want to read interesting posts and comment on them first and foremost, or create a new topic about something they are interested in. However I will concede that in rare cases like your forum the events can be a good thing. They can work, but usually don't for most forums. A forum contest that no one participates in can be detrimental to its success. It puts a bad reflection on the place that can't be reversed. Its better to have no contest at all if no one participates. It tells people that the forum is inactive and that the Admin is struggling. Confidence in the Admins ability to keep the forum running on his own merits is critical, he need not have contests, but if he does they should never fail.

I think word games can be successful if you choose games that require some intelligence, but these ridiculous and mindless count number games are an awful embarrassment to any forum, and should have never been started in the first place. When people see a forum with such a game its sure sign of sinking ship. It says to the world and new members, that these people here have nothing to say whatsoever so they have resorted to counting numbers. What a boring forum this must be with boring brain-dead people with nothing to say but count numbers. Its a waste of the human mind, and is a sure sign of a intellectually challenged membership. A major deterrent for guests and possible new members. If you have such a topic then do yourself a favor and delete it, guests or new members will see that and run for the hills that have half a brain. I mention the count number games because they literally make me angry when I think about the waste they represent and bring to forums. A forum is about thought provoking discussion, posting your opinions and learning from the replies. Forums can be very enjoyable when active discussions are going on, and there is nothing better to bring more members than that. But the count number games are the complete opposite of that, and make your forum look like the Admin and members must be mindless robots with nothing to say. Its really pathetic, and they wonder why there forum fails.

Also another thing to avoid doing and what irritates me to no end is when people never put expression or emotion in their posts whatsoever, they seem to write like an emotionless robot, that is extremely boring when done all the time and if you're an Admin you better knock it off because members are gonna walk. No one likes a wet blanket.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Neymar1 on December 24th 2013, 10:09 am

Yeah I agree with your thoughts on the number games. It's never really something that anyone has tried to start on my forum at least, but it's pretty annoying when you see it on other forums.

I see what you mean regarding the contests. By a "reason to login" I was referring to some members who maybe wouldn't log in without a good tournament or competition. Posting on a forum just isn't everyone's thing all the time, and you've got to accommodate everyone. The discussion is always naturally ahead of tournaments etc but if you're running a gaming forum, the members will most likely be thankful for regular tournaments, competitions and giveaways. By contests I was referring to successful contents that are big in the community and a large part of a site, not just little things on the side that are done for the sake of it. That's all in the sense of a gaming forum though.

Neymar1
Forumember

Male Posts : 406
Language : HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript

http://www.simplyfifa.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daryn on April 29th 2014, 12:57 pm

My forum has been slowing down for about 3months now, the regular members seem to log on then disappear lol. Ive done some of the thing mentioned on here. Ive recently changed the skin, I advertise it on facebook alot as that seems to be the best free advertisement you can get but its getting less and less active now. I really believe facebook kills forum although I prefer a forum.

So a few days ago I shut down my main website and pointed my domain name to my forum, today I purchased credits for the first time and shut down the ads although I have one ad on their which is mine so its not bogged down with lots of them now and looks far better, just experimenting to see what I can do.

Ive got a new forum and cannot get that one to kick off either lol just have to wait and see what happens

Daryn
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Pizza Boi on April 30th 2014, 10:11 am

Hi Very Happy

Well, I got several factors how I got my forum running but it's not arranged chronologically:

1. Excellent staff - My staff dedicates a part of their everyday life just to clean our topics and gain new members
2. MY Popularity - I already have a reputation in the game that my Yu-gi-oh! forum is based on (Will not post my in-game name) so basically, when people join us, some of them do it because they know me.
3. Appearance - I dedicate a lot of hours into providing an awesome looking forum with graphics along with my active graphics designers since in our type of forum, that is a BIG factor to consider in remaining active.
4. User friendliness - Apart from the staff that guides our new members, we also have topics and coding that enables the users how to function well in our site Smile .

Overall, we just do our best in this thing Cool .

Regards,
Pizza Boi

Pizza Boi
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2016
Language : French

http://redlustempire.forumtl.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs on April 30th 2014, 5:43 pm

One way I have found effective in keeping the forum 'alive' is to communicate directly with my members. I regularly send general newsletters to all members. Also some members are in different 'usergroups' so, in addition, I communicate with those usergroups via specific newsletters and group PMs.

Sorry to bring in a bit of negativity here though, but a major 'threat' to forums like ours is Facebook etc. FB is more 'user friendly' in terms of active and visual content. One of my members was away the past week and had to use her phone to connect to the forum - which was an 'unpleasant' experience, I've been told. She couldn't wait to get back to her desktop computer so that she could post properly.

So therein lies the problem... people are abandoning their desktop computers (and laptops!) and are increasingly accessing the forums via tablets and smart phones - none of which the forums were initially intended for.

I accessed my forum via my tablet and it wasn't that brilliant an experience. Posting 'smilies' is a pain etc.

Hope this helps!

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on April 30th 2014, 6:19 pm

Facebook and forums is two completely different things. I know a lot of people who do not use Facebook. Facebook is really not for long discussions like forums are.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35629

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs on April 30th 2014, 9:53 pm

@SLGray wrote:Facebook and forums is two completely different things. I know a lot of people who do not use Facebook. Facebook is really not for long discussions like forums are.
I guess it all depends on what time of forum you have and its content.

On my forum, we have lots of members, but they seem to spend more time on FB these days.

SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 360

Back to top Go down

Post by Illest on May 5th 2014, 1:03 am

I don't mine's dead as a rock.rabbit

Illest
Forumember

Male Posts : 135

http://mixedmedia.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mikestang746 on June 16th 2014, 2:36 pm

I should keep it informative and beneficial.

mikestang746

Language : english

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum