The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Username change

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are you for re-opening username change? Or for removing topic from homepage message?

20% 20% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
20% 20% 
[ 1 ]
20% 20% 
[ 1 ]
40% 40% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 5

Username change

Post by Ikerepc on October 27th 2013, 9:15 pm

Hello.

I'm seen in homepage message, in important topics, topic for username change, but when you click on it you get closed topic?!?

So I think you can re-open topic, or just remove it from homepage message.

I'm vote for removing from homepage message if it stay closed.

I think it don't need to be in homepage message, in important topics if it is locked. I'm not vote for re-opening. I agree with Sanket, but it don't need to be in IMPORTANT messages if it is locked.

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1114
Language : Croatian, HTML, CSS, jQuery, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Bascom, Python, C, FBD & LAD for PLC and more... Little English :D

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Username change

Post by Derri on October 27th 2013, 10:48 pm

Now I'm going to make two parts to my post.

First of all I'd like to say I'd like usernames changes to return because people like to change their name, especially if they spend a lot of time on the support forum.

However I do understand it has become time consuming for the administration and its evident people just change their names for fun and it can be hard for staff to track users and that can be troublesome.

I therefore have a possible solution. I think if you are an active member on the support forum then you should be allowed to have your username changed on occasion and to deem who's active etc. I think the points system should be put into use. The way this would be done is that it costs you 500 points to get your username changed and perhaps you can only have this done once a year or every 6 months.

This is kind of the best of both worlds. On one hand the username changes aren't frequent and therefore staff can still keep an eye on members who change their name but it also promotes the points system as well to forumotion members.

Now one very big negative that is likely shouting you in the face is that members could spam and get the points they need. Well in all honesty its hard to spam on these forums and its incredibly noticeable. Between vigilant staff members and 50 second post flood it would be hard to spam this forum and not get noticed.

As for the main suggestion I'd actually want it stay even if we don't allow username changes? Why? It stops people from pming Sanket and other staff members going "How do I change my username?" as they'll see the reason why they can't.

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikerepc on October 27th 2013, 11:03 pm

I think it will be nice to have that topic, but some members want username change and they have 5 posts. Or if we will have number of posts for it some members will spamming to get that.

I think it is good idea to have it, but when you are registered you have one nick, and members know you for that nick, when you change it you become like some other person.

It will be grate if it can be for active members, but then others will want to change it too.

This with points for change is good idea, but not for using points, just if you have some points you can change username.

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Language : Croatian, HTML, CSS, jQuery, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Bascom, Python, C, FBD & LAD for PLC and more... Little English :D

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikerepc on October 29th 2013, 6:22 am

Bump. Can we get more votes?

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikerepc on October 30th 2013, 1:21 pm

Bump

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ddoesmc on October 30th 2013, 7:53 pm

reopen it!

ddoesmc
Forumember

Male Posts : 283
Language : Mainly english

http://www.officialmc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioHead on October 31st 2013, 11:00 am

I think it should be done by PM, as it was originally.
If it's advertised, it will happen, if not advertised it won't happen.
I don't understand why Sanket didn't see this as somewhat of an advantage under the previous volunteer admins.

This will go way of the 'Only topic - Questions for FM'. Private and not for the public eye.

RadioHead
Forumember

Language : English (der?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikerepc on October 31st 2013, 12:42 pm

I think it don't need to be do with PM because now all can see members last nick.

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on November 1st 2013, 3:08 pm

Zyon wrote:I think it will be nice to have that topic, but some members want username change and they have 5 posts. Or if we will have number of posts for it some members will spamming to get that.
Well like I said spamming on the support forum is dealt with quickly and its evident when someone is spamming for post count/points. So that's kind of irrelevant in a sense.

Zyon wrote:I think it is good idea to have it, but when you are registered you have one nick, and members know you for that nick, when you change it you become like some other person.
That statement is more opinion than fact. I've been a member of a Teen forum for over 2 years now and have a couple of name changes and I've stayed, acted and been the same person for those entire two years so again more opinion than fact.

Zyon wrote:It will be grate if it can be for active members, but then others will want to change it too.
Well one of the reasons it was shutdown was because members, new members in particular were changing their name once every month almost and the caps on username changes were quite high so you could change your name twice a year at one point and then three times within a certain time (but you couldn't have more than three, once you had a third name change that was it) so I think having it for more established members who are the support forum regularly and have contributed a lot to the support forum should get it and the main way to do that would be offering it through using the points system.

Zyon wrote:This with points for change is good idea, but not for using points, just if you have some points you can change username.
Well maybe it could either be once you have "X" amount of points you can change your name or it could be once you have 500 points you can change your name then you have those 500 deducted from your current total.

Overall I'd like to see it back but with more restrictions so new members can't request so many frequent changes but members who help out a lot and support the forum a lot can have the occasional username change.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanket on November 1st 2013, 7:27 pm

Sorry, but we have already decided on closing that topic. Hence this suggestion is refused, partly I have removed it from the homepage message.

Thread Locked.

Sanket
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 48766
Language : English

http://webartzforum.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum