The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Form to Fill out for Support Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should a Form need to be to Filled out for Support Questions?

25% 25% 
[ 2 ]
75% 75% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 8

Form to Fill out for Support Questions

Post by runawayhorses on November 21st 2013, 1:40 pm

Look at the rules and this markup below just to request a simple button or other graphic:

----------
1.) Remember to start with an explicit title, it should contain the general nature of your request. For example: "Requesting a Banner for My Forum".

Note: Requests with invalid or non-explicit titles will be locked or deleted. Also, the Graphic Designers aren't obligated to do all requests, so please don't try harass them and make them do your request.

2.) You must use the Graphics Commander available below to request any graphics. Just fill in the information.

Code:
[color=#00A5CD][b]Creation Type:[/b][/color]
    [color=#7CBA2C][b]Size (In Pixels):[/b][/color]
    [color=#00A5CD][b]Primary Colors:[/b][/color]
    [color=#7CBA2C][b]Secondary Colors:[/b][/color]
    [color=#00A5CD][b]Images to include:[/b][/color]
    [color=#7CBA2C][b]Text to Insert :[/b][/color]
    [color=#00A5CD][b]Font (Provide Download Link):[/b][/color]
    [color=#7CBA2C][b]Font Color:[/b][/color]
    [color=#00A5CD][b]Link to My Forumotion Forum:[/b][/color]
    [color=#7CBA2C][b]Name on forum:[/b][/color]
    [color=#00A5CD][b]Link to your Last Graphics Request:[/b][/color]
    [color=#7CBA2C][b]Proof of Forum ownership screen shot:[/b][/color]
    [color=#00A5CD][b]Detail description for your graphics request:[/b][/color]
------------

I think if a member has to fill out that monstrosity of a form for a button, then perhaps more serious requests such as coding questions that affect the 'functionality' of a forum as well as it looks deserve the same type of guidelines to request support.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Vote "Yes" if you would like forms to be filled out like the one above to request support, or "No" just ask your question without needing to say anything about your setup, require the 'helpers' to find out the information needed.

Of course, hopefully a form for requesting 'support' would not be so over-the-top as the graphics requests, just the forum version and URL, would suffice.

I would have helped make plenty of graphics for people through the years if I wasn't 'penalized' for doing so if they didn't fill out the 'form' correctly, so I stay away from helping in that department because the rules are too strict in my opinion. If someone else needs all of that info filled in then fine, but if I or someone else can do the job without it then let it ride, the job gets done. But no that isn't the way it works at all, you are advised not to help if they did not complete the form. So that is why I given up in that section.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Male Posts : 2537
Language : English

http://runawayhorses.alldiscussion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Form to Fill out for Support Questions

Post by Ikerepc on November 21st 2013, 2:55 pm

I vill not vote for now, I think we don't need it.

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1114
Language : Croatian, HTML, CSS, jQuery, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Bascom, Python, C, FBD & LAD for PLC and more... Little English :D

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Base on November 21st 2013, 3:41 pm

While it may be helpful, I don't think that a form is absolutely necessary for the support section. Most members register on here to look for help straight away and are not likely to waste time by filling out forms.

Base
Forumaster

Male Posts : 10386
Language : English and French

http://forumotionhub.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on November 21st 2013, 7:52 pm

@Base wrote:While it may be helpful, I don't think that a form is absolutely necessary for the support section. Most members register on here to look for help straight away and are not likely to waste time by filling out forms.
Exactly this,

If the Forumotion Staff were to enforce a filling out of a support form in order to get support, staff would creating work for themselves for they'd be having to remind others to use the form and then if the form was only a "guideline" and not something that specifically needing to be filled out then it would be pointless. Plus the support forum already has general guidelines for requesting support located at the bottom of each new thread.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on November 22nd 2013, 7:42 am

Support does not need a form.  The reason why is because support issues/questions are too broad for one form.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35622

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikerepc on November 22nd 2013, 8:58 am

Agree with slg. I think we don't need it.

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Language : Croatian, HTML, CSS, jQuery, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Bascom, Python, C, FBD & LAD for PLC and more... Little English :D

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on November 22nd 2013, 12:01 pm

@SLGray wrote:Support does not need a form.  The reason why is because support issues/questions are too broad for one form.
@runawayhorses wrote:
Of course, hopefully a form for requesting 'support' would not be so over-the-top as the graphics requests, just the forum version and URL, would suffice.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikerepc on November 22nd 2013, 12:07 pm

But why are you then post all graphic design code?

We have rules when you posting, open topic, etc, and nobody post screenshot or other what write there, so if they don't respect that, how they will respect this? That will be complicated, and it isn't necessary.

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on November 22nd 2013, 12:08 pm

@runawayhorses wrote:
@SLGray wrote:Support does not need a form.  The reason why is because support issues/questions are too broad for one form.
@runawayhorses wrote:
Most people do provide that and when creating a new thread you have a guide a the top. So to be honest if people don't follow that, then they are unlikely to follow a form.

Forum Rules : : Forumotion Staff : : Appeal A Warning : : FAQ : : Tips & Tricks : : Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on November 22nd 2013, 12:11 pm

I been here over 5 years and I have no idea what you're talking about, I never seen a guide.

And no, most people do not provide that info.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikerepc on November 22nd 2013, 1:00 pm

I don't talk about that rule, or that guide, I talking about forum rules, green, with house. All what I think is good is to put rule in that place, but to be unnecessary, like screenshot.

I think it will just be harder to open topic, if that is rule moderators need to remind members if they don't write it, it is more job for moderators and members for anything. I still think it is not necessary, and I think we don't need it.

Ikerepc
Active Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange Tuteur on November 22nd 2013, 1:10 pm

I agree that a form is not needed, usually members overlook it. If we require them to fill the form it makes things a bit more complicated.

I wouldn't mind having some post rule reminders for the different support sections though. Short and sweet reminders, like:

"If your question has been answered, edit the first post and mark it as solved."

or for design issues, provide your forum link. We can always solve your design problems faster when you provide your forum link. Lol

Ange Tuteur
Forumaster

Male Posts : 13021
Language : EN10, FR5

http://fmdesign.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on November 22nd 2013, 1:43 pm

I've been on some support forums where you cannot submit your post unless you fill in your forum url in the place provided and select your version from a drop-down menu. The post will not "send" unless those fields are filled in and selected, and you must fill them in with each and every post. So every post has that information, so if for example you have more than one site it doesn't matter, because you select which site you are asking your question about and add the url in the place provided, the post will not send without it.

Wordpress.com has something very similar for their support forums.

That's efficiency.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on November 22nd 2013, 3:47 pm

@runawayhorses wrote:I been here over 5 years and I have no idea what you're talking about, I never seen a guide.

And no, most people do not provide that info.

Well rules/guide on what information to provide when requesting support.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on November 22nd 2013, 4:04 pm

That's really weird, I never seen that before because it doesn't show, look at my screenshot when creating a new topic:

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on November 22nd 2013, 4:28 pm

What section are you creating it in though? It only appears in the support sections.

Forum Rules : : Forumotion Staff : : Appeal A Warning : : FAQ : : Tips & Tricks : : Forgotten Password/Login Issues

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on November 22nd 2013, 4:42 pm

Oh Ok yeah now I see it, I was creating a new one here in discussion, I somehow forgot it was there probably because I seen it so many times.. lol

Actually, because I forgot about that I should revise my suggestion, perhaps make it like I explained above where a member cannot send the post unless the information is filled in, like Wordpress and many other support forums do. Its professional and a lot more efficient. It really to be honest makes no difference to me, I'm not bothered by having to ask for the url or anything else I need to know, but in the interest of a more efficient support forum where we can move people along with there questions answered, I'm acceptable to that.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange Tuteur on November 23rd 2013, 3:38 am

Oooh my, I must need to really clean my glasses because I totally looked past that.
Maybe the letters need to be big, and bright red. lol! 

I'm sure most people already read those rules, and some people just skip them and go straight to their question. Which brings me back to forcing a question template onto users. (Look at graphics requests) Half the time users don't read the rules and just write their requests.

If we had to remind the users to fill out a form, and we wont help them until they fill it out, it would be kinda rude to deny support.

Over time after we continually say: "Can you provide a link to your forum?" and other such questions, the user asking the question would eventually learn that we need their forum url to solve most of their problems.

Ange Tuteur
Forumaster

Male Posts : 13021
Language : EN10, FR5

http://fmdesign.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on November 23rd 2013, 2:16 pm

Yeah, I think we moved past the question template because of the posting guidelines that are already present which I forgot about..lol I think now the question is making the text editor insist fields (maybe 2 of them, url and version) be filled in or it won't submit, like wordpress support forums and other support forums.

I guess I should edit my question, or ask to have this one locked or trashed and create a new poll with the updated question. However, this question for this poll can stand on its own if people like the idea, its up to staff to decide, I'll leave it in their hands to decide what to do with this poll. Smile

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on November 30th 2013, 1:05 pm

Zyon wrote:But why are you then post all graphic design code?

We have rules when you posting, open topic, etc, and nobody post screenshot or other what write there, so if they don't respect that, how they will respect this? That will be complicated, and it isn't necessary.
I somehow missed this question Zyon, so let me explain my rational now. I posted the graphics design code/template in my first post to show how ridiculously over-the-top I think it is, in hopes to show that if such a template exists for a simple button, then certainly much more serious questions about codes deserve something similar. Of course a much smaller template version would go into effect for the support forums, because we wouldn't want to require members spend a lot of time filling it in, just keep it small with version and URL. In fact the version could be selected with a drop menu and the url pasted in.

Because the support questions template would be so much smaller than the graphics section, is even more reason to like the idea for coding questions if you accept the graphics long one. It was an attempt to show that if you allow a less serious section to have a large requesting template, certainly a 2 question template (forum version, URL) for the more 'important' support forums would be perfectly reasonable. It was an attempt to show if you enforce the members to fill out long templates for graphics which are less serious than codes, then a much smaller one for more important questions goes without saying, so much so, that it makes you wonder why it wasn't implemented years ago. However, I was wanting to stress that we not make it like the graphics section does which in my opinion is unreasonable, but rather a small 2 question template.

Somehow some people didn't agree that coding questions deserve as much (if not more) consideration than a button.

You asked if they don't respect rules posted in the screenshot how will they respect filling in the template. So to answer your question let me answer it with a question, how does the graphics section enforce people fill out the template? The answers the same, no template, no help, and if you do not edit your post with the correct template filled in within 24 hours your topic will be deleted.

Now, as this topic progressed I now think the better solution is making the text editor require the fields (maybe 2 of them, url and version) be filled in or it won't send, like some other support forums do. That way you have no posts to delete, and no questions without fresh updated info, the forum version and url the question is addressing.

I would like nothing more than to see the graphics template removed and no longer required, just treat it like we do now with codes, but somewhere along the line its importance got misplaced, and a long template is required to be filled in. And to make matters worst, no member can help them unless they fill that thing out.

A graphics section should be a fun area of the forum, that doesn't have templates you have to fill in or overrun with strict rules, it should be where all the members can participate in helping without having to analogize if someone filled in a template correctly or not before they help. If they can help them why not let them? It should be fun area of the forum. Its a less serious section of the forum, and should be treated as such. But thats another issue for another topic. Our focus now is on the support forums.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on November 30th 2013, 2:26 pm

I understand where you're coming from Runaway with what you said above but I do want to bring up a few points you mentioned.

@Runawayhorses wrote:
You asked if they don't respect rules posted in the screenshot how will they respect filling in the template. So to answer your question let me answer it with a question, how does the graphics section enforce people fill out the template? The answers the same, no template, no help, and if you do not edit your post with the correct template filled in within 24 hours your topic will be deleted.
I think doing this would only lead to more people not receiving support. I mean so many people would probably become frustrated and end up leaving. I mean you see how some people react to the graphics design section and to a lesser extent the review section when it comes to filling in templates and being told their request is denied due to the non correct information being given.

Overall it would lead to people becoming angry as they'd see it as not receiving support.

@Runawayhorses wrote:Now, as this topic progressed I now think the better solution is making the text editor require the fields (maybe 2 of them, url and version) be filled in or it won't send, like some other support forums do. That way you have no posts to delete, and no questions without fresh updated info, the forum version and url the question is addressing.
I agree something like this would be good. However it would have to be like a field above the editor saying "Forum Url" "Forum Version" and then you'd enter your message as normal.

However if it was something that you had to detect a link/forum version in your post then this would probably cause some disturption.

However I think if what I said above, about the two separate fields requiring them to be filled out before you could submit a message, I think the FM staff might have already done it but at this time I don't think I've seen anything like it at all.

Overall I feel denying someone support because they haven't filled in a template would only lead to people not getting support, frustration and ultimately people seeking another forum host. I've seen cases where people have left FM to go to another place because they've become frustrated. That isn't anyone's fault but still it does happen.

@Runawayhorses wrote:I would like nothing more than to see the graphics template removed and no longer required, just treat it like we do now with codes, but somewhere along the line its importance got misplaced, and a long template is required to be filled in. And to make matters worst, no member can help them unless they fill that thing out.
The reason the Graphics team has this is to prevent people from wasting their time. If you think about it, the graphics team works very hard to help those who need graphics but think about those people who create forums for fun and request a bunch of graphics over a series of weeks and then you go and find their forum abandoned and they haven't even used the graphics they requested or even worse, you find them on another forum outside of FM.

Plus when one of the designers creates a graphic and the person keeps adding to their request i.e change this, change that....then it's going to become frustrating for the designer.

This is overall why, the Graphics team decided to make a template to fill out is to prevent what I've said and take some of the pressure off.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by runawayhorses on November 30th 2013, 2:58 pm

@Derri wrote:The reason the Graphics team has this is to prevent people from wasting their time. If you think about it, the graphics team works very hard to help those who need graphics but think about those people who create forums for fun and request a bunch of graphics over a series of weeks and then you go and find their forum abandoned and they haven't even used the graphics they requested or even worse, you find them on another forum outside of FM.

Plus when one of the designers creates a graphic and the person keeps adding to their request i.e change this, change that....then it's going to become frustrating for the designer.

This is overall why, the Graphics team decided to make a template to fill out is to prevent what I've said and take some of the pressure off.

I'm well aware of the reasoning as to why they have a template, I have no qualms about that, but its my strong opinion that its not needed. In fact I don't think a "graphics team" is necessary at all. I think there are enough people here good with graphics on this forum alone to fill every request made if they were allowed to do so without the negative aura the template presents. If its not filled in correctly you are asked not to help them. The "graphics team" or forum "administrators" have taken away the responsibility of the members creating the graphics themselves and made it their own, so no one can help unless that template (which they created) is filled in. As you said many people have walked away frustrated, and its no wonder why. If it was an open environment where anyone could help without the need of a template filled in, then alot more people would get served, and with having had a friendly and pleasant experience.

So many people have come in requesting a graphic with a cheerful attitude only to be bombarded with what they did wrong with their request, and leave with a very different attitude about it. Its almost to the point of being hurtful to their feelings, when they go in so cheerful and get hit like that with what they did wrong. And all that fuss of over a graphic.

The graphics section is a prime example of what we don't want to do in my opinion. That section has taken a big dive in its popularity thru the years, I mostly feel sorry for the people that get hit with BOLD text posts telling them they didn't ask for help correctly. Its a system that needs correcting, or more to the point, brought back to reasonable terms so the members can feel safe again about asking for help, and the members can help them freely without fear of getting hit with a bold text unemotional copy and paste message for trying to lend a hand.

But that is all I have to say concerning your latest post, I appreciate your input, although I think focusing on the support forum as opposed to the graphics section should be our focus in this topic.

runawayhorses
Hyperactive

Back to top Go down

Post by Relic on December 5th 2013, 11:20 pm

I would just recommend that the limit to talk to support via PM be extended.  I'm trying now to get an answer to Buttercup's PM to me and I can't because I haven't posted enough.

I did operate a forum here 2 years ago, but I can't remember what my login was for this forum.  I made a new one yesterday.

Relic

Back to top Go down

Post by Relic on December 5th 2013, 11:35 pm

OK, after this post I was able to make a PM again.  I just don't remember the participation requirements anymore, but it works now so :wouhou:

Relic

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on January 6th 2014, 6:03 am

Exactly the reason for the graphic request template is to make sure that the graphics are being made for a Forumotion forum. The graphics designers figured out that members were using the graphics on non-Forumotion forum, so that is the reason why the template was modified.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35622

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Relic on January 6th 2014, 2:45 pm

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the help and also the help you gave me with the trash problem.  There's a lot of new features for Forumotion that are greatly improved from just 2 years ago.  It's better than a blog, has more capabilities and a lesser learning curve.  We already had one member leave to make their own so I guess that says something to Forumotion's credit so expect to see a lot of old and new faces.   Very Happy 

Your support is top-notch!  Thank you!

Relic

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Dooku on January 7th 2015, 4:05 pm

I have devided issues here.
-as for The French FM board concerns, it seems to me that they have this form already (i think i prefer this way, becuause with the template you are forced to fill the wanted material before validating the sending)
-at the same time it creates some form of organisation... Wink

Count Dooku
Forumember

Language : English, French, some Arabic

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on January 7th 2015, 5:26 pm

Old Suggestion, Section Clean Up

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum