The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

[With Poll] Adding to the length of "Profile Text"

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Would you like the "Profile Text" field to be able to contain more than 15.000 keystrokes?

79% 79% 
[ 11 ]
21% 21% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 14

[With Poll] Adding to the length of "Profile Text"

Post by Procella on March 31st 2014, 6:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Dear admins/managers of support-forumotion!

We have this wonderful RPG/PbP/Roleplaying-forum.
We have predefined some profile-boxes this we need our users to fill out, but the real "schema" and info is on the "free text" which they put in under the "profile-text".

This leaves us with an itty bitty problem. See most of our users love to but pictures ind, and banners, and other stuff too. They are completely allowed to do so. BUT. This takes up allot of space where they could plot in information's.mwii

Myself. I have a role I've been playing now for about 4 years. That means I have pictures, the original character, but also the updates what happened to her, her connections, her killcount and so on.huhohi

We have found that 15.000 strokes on the keyboards is simply not enough for us, but we cant make it go any higher!

We would LOVE if someone would take into consideration to make that profile-text longerVery good
We really need it at our side so give some roles the possibility of making those full descriptions of...everything!bounce

So!

With Best Regards!
Procella
A part of Team Admin on
Deploratusrock

Ps.
Just to make the example:
http://deploratus.heavenforum.org/u928- link to my profile
http://deploratus.heavenforum.org/t7054-procella-en-jaeger-sger#218871 - link to my plotseeker - where I have had to put in allot of info which actually belong on my profile.

And sorry that all of this is in Danish. It's a Danish Site and Danish game, so that's why Embarassed

(Link to original topic - sorry. I'm trying again. It wouldn't let me do a poll in the old oneConfused
http://help.forumotion.com/t131968-adding-to-length-of-profile-text)

Poll is set to end in 15 days Smile
I'm not sure how long you guys usually let them "hang" but if there is a problem with that, hopefully either I can change it, or get a Mod or Admin to help me change itfufufu

I hope you all will cast a vote - whatever way you might swing Wink

Thanks upfront all!Hello

Last edited by Procella on April 3rd 2014, 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Procella
Forumember

Female Posts : 44
Language : Danish, British English, American English

http://deploratus.heavenforum.org/forum

Back to top Go down

Re: [With Poll] Adding to the length of "Profile Text"

Post by DangerZone on April 20th 2014, 10:14 pm

So basically you want the user profiles to be larger, since it will enhance the rp-experience. I can see why you would want that, considering that not all rp-forums use "post applications". However... why not just make more profile fields? You can specify how long a profile field can be when creating it, and you can set it up to 50000 at least (I tried that and got no error messages, so I assume it works).

This way you can make a profile field named: "Personality", make one called "Background", one called "Kill count", and one for friends, foes, items, inventory, education etc.. You can basically make as many as you want, and this way you will not be restricted by only *one* field of 15000 symbols.

Just go to Users & Groups > Profiles and click the green + symbol at the bottom of the list. Select "text zone" from the drop down and specify the maximum amount of symbols allowed on the bottom of the page. It works... (Remember to check off that they should be visible on the profile (NOT MESSAGES)).

I tried making 3 different text zones. One with 15000 (standard) and two with 50000 symbols. They seem to work; I have not tested if they can hold up to 50k symbols, however this way I think you will solve the overall problem of 'not having enough space' on the profile Smile

EDIT: I can see that even though I set the value to 50k, it changed back to 15k (with no error msg showing or anything). However I have now tested having two fields with both 15k symbols and it works. Therefore the solution would be:

MAKE MORE PROFILE FIELDS.

DangerZone
Forumember

Female Posts : 27
Language : .

http://downuptown.danskforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Procella on April 21st 2014, 2:14 pm

Yeah, because we did that too, changed the number of keystrokes, and it just changed back.

See, the problem with what you are suggesting is that it would mean a massive change to the entire forum. Everybody on there would have to change their profiles.

And not only that - depending on what kind of character you wanted to play, there would be different fields to fill out - which again means that if weas admins in there had to take thatinto consideration, we would have to make a profile-sheet (or what you call it), with multiple information.

THAT would mean:

1 - That the profile itself would be 5 kilometers long, and that there would be a ton of boxes that some users wouldn't have to fill out and would just stand there and be empty.

2 - The new users arriving would be totally confused. (We have that now, but they catch on very fast)

3 - The Mods and Admins job would be extremely more complicated because we would have to explain and correct all the misunderstood boxes filled out by people who are not supposed to write anything in them.

4 - And all users on the entire forum would have to change their profiles.

The simplest solution - In our eyes - is just that we are allowed more keystrokes in the profile-text. In that way, we don't have to change the forum, or add to our work-burden, or end up with a very doubtful aesthetic-design. Again - not the short profileinfo that are shown in the left, for all to watch when you post a message on the forum. Not that! Only the completeprofile-text when you physicallygo to another persons profile to read more intimately about them Smile

If this is voted down - of course we have to be forced to try one of the lesser wanted methods. But I actually fear that that will make us loose members in the endSad

So please guys! Help us out! Give us a vote please! A "YES" to more keystrokes in the profile-text. Or maybe just so that the individual forum-admins have the possibility of raising the strokes ifthey feel like it's something their forum need, because I can totally recognize and respect that not all have this need or feel that it's something they prefer on theirforum.

Regards from Denmark
Procella
Admin on - Link Removed

Procella
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by DangerZone on April 21st 2014, 2:48 pm

I see what you're saying, but I still think adding more fields is the better solution. Just add *one* more and you will get double the length. Surely that would be enough. You can call one field "Character Information" and the other "Additional Information". Then they can put anything like personality, background, likes/dislikes, traits, work and such in the Character Information-field, and whatever they want in the other field: killcounts, friends/foes, pictures, etc..

This way you won't have many fields that need explaining. Besides I think you should give your users some credit - I'm sure they would be willing to update their profiles if the fields appeared: they did want bigger profiles after all, so any solution would be a good solution.

DangerZone
Forumember

Female Posts : 27
Language : .

http://downuptown.danskforum.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHITESABBATH on April 22nd 2014, 6:18 pm

got my vote (yes)

WHITESABBATH
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1198
Language : English, F-Bombs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jophy on April 23rd 2014, 9:07 am

@Procella wrote:Yeah, because we did that too, changed the number of keystrokes, and it just changed back.

See, the problem with what you are suggesting is that it would mean a massive change to the entire forum. Everybody on there would have to change their profiles.

And not only that - depending on what kind of character you wanted to play, there would be different fields to fill out - which again means that if weas admins in there had to take thatinto consideration, we would have to make a profile-sheet (or what you call it), with multiple information.

THAT would mean:

1 - That the profile itself would be 5 kilometers long, and that there would be a ton of boxes that some users wouldn't have to fill out and would just stand there and be empty.

2 - The new users arriving would be totally confused. (We have that now, but they catch on very fast)

3 - The Mods and Admins job would be extremely more complicated because we would have to explain and correct all the misunderstood boxes filled out by people who are not supposed to write anything in them.

The simplest solution - In our eyes - is just that we are allowed more keystrokes in the profile-text. In that way, we don't have to change the forum, or add to our work-burden, or end up with a very doubtful aesthetic-design. Again - not the short profileinfo that are shown in the left, for all to watch when you post a message on the forum. Not that! Only the completeprofile-text when you physicallygo to another persons profile to read more intimately about them Smile

If this is voted down - of course we have to be forced to try one of the lesser wanted methods. But I actually fear that that will make us loose members in the endSad

So please guys! Help us out! Give us a vote please! A "YES" to more keystrokes in the profile-text. Or maybe just so that the individual forum-admins have the possibility of raising the strokes ifthey feel like it's something their forum need, because I can totally recognize and respect that not all have this need or feel that it's something they prefer on theirforum.

Regards from Denmark
Procella
Admin on - Link Removed
There's no need to post forum links unless it's requested by a staff member, please take note of the rules. Thank you.

Jophy
ForumGuru

Male Posts : 17924
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Post by Procella on April 24th 2014, 4:00 pm

@Jophy wrote:
@Procella wrote:Yeah, because we did that too, changed the number of keystrokes, and it just changed back.

THAT would mean:

Regards from Denmark
Procella
Admin on - Link Removed
There's no need to post forum links unless it's requested by a staff member, please take note of the rules. Thank you.

Ah. Hehe. SorryEmbarassed

I was just trying to give people a chance to go in there and see what the "fuzz" was about if they wanted too SmileNo sneaky intents or anything like that Very Happy

But thanks for correcting me and *not* getting mad about my little missteps along the way WinkJust have to learn everything Very Happy

Procella
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Procella on April 27th 2014, 11:01 pm

*Bump*

Procella
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Procella on May 8th 2014, 7:58 pm

*Bump*

Procella
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Procella on May 10th 2014, 1:59 pm

*Bump*

Procella
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Procella on June 19th 2014, 7:23 pm

*Bump*

Procella
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Procella on July 21st 2014, 5:37 pm

*Bump*

Procella
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Procella on December 7th 2014, 6:53 pm

*Bump*

Procella
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on November 1st 2015, 9:44 pm

Bumping to move this suggestion to the first page.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35641
Language : English

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum