The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

Sort topics by forum version

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Institute a way to search threads by author's forum version?

50% 50% 
[ 3 ]
50% 50% 
[ 3 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
 
Total Votes : 6

Sort topics by forum version

Post by Kechapoo on April 7th 2014, 9:09 pm

Yo!

I've sifted through the archives of this forum---particularly the design help forums---for answers to questions I've had that others have asked before me. I hate to flood the forums, begging staff here to help me. A lot of times, however, I find that the requests I find there are usually from people using phpBB2 or phpBB3 or Invision---using codes that don't work for my punBB CSS.

What I'm suggesting may or may not be plausible, since not everyone identifies their forum version in their profile, but I think it'd help to be able to search threads by forum version so that the search field narrows down to where anyone can find suggestions that will work for their version and not others.


Last edited by Kechapoo on April 7th 2014, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kechapoo
Forumember

Male Posts : 40
Reputation : 0
Language : English
Location : Virginia

http://hurricanechronicles.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Derri on April 7th 2014, 9:19 pm

Hi,

Could you please add a poll so everyone can vote for this suggestion?

Thanks
Derri


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

avatar
Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8567
Reputation : 607
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Rhino.Freak on April 8th 2014, 6:23 pm

Voted yes. It can get helpful Smile
avatar
Rhino.Freak
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1248
Reputation : 105
Language : English
Location : Mumbai, India

http://freetest.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Count Dooku on January 7th 2015, 3:11 pm

Yes, agreed! Wink
avatar
Count Dooku
Forumember

Posts : 279
Reputation : 2
Language : English, French, some Arabic

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Derri on January 7th 2015, 5:31 pm

I'm voting No,

The reason is I think that archiving topics would become difficult as its not always clear on what forum version someone is using and I think it would make searching for answers harder as quite often forum version doesn't dictate a support answer. So people would be having to look in a specific forum for replies that apply to all versions if we did this.



Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

avatar
Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8567
Reputation : 607
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Rhino.Freak on January 8th 2015, 3:12 am

Derri wrote:I'm voting No,

The reason is I think that archiving topics would become difficult as its not always clear on what forum version someone is using and I think it would make searching for answers harder as quite often forum version doesn't dictate a support answer. So people would be having to look in a specific forum for replies that apply to all versions if we did this.

Just saying that you might just apply a new prefix that needs to be chosen and a new system that allows to search by prefixes.
That won't be difficult to handle at all, considering you guys do edit our posts to modify the topic icons and all, in case people miss adding their forum version in prefix you people can edit that.
Prefix would be something like this:
[Phpbb3] Xyz problem

I think you get my point. Saying no because of that reason wasnt really thoughtful IMO.
avatar
Rhino.Freak
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1248
Reputation : 105
Language : English
Location : Mumbai, India

http://freetest.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Derri on January 8th 2015, 3:45 am

Rhino.Freak wrote:
Derri wrote:I'm voting No,

The reason is I think that archiving topics would become difficult as its not always clear on what forum version someone is using and I think it would make searching for answers harder as quite often forum version doesn't dictate a support answer. So people would be having to look in a specific forum for replies that apply to all versions if we did this.

Just saying that you might just apply a new prefix that needs to be chosen and a new system that allows to search by prefixes.
That won't be difficult to handle at all, considering you guys do edit our posts to modify the topic icons and all, in case people miss adding their forum version in prefix you people can edit that.
Prefix would be something like this:
[Phpbb3] Xyz problem

I think you get my point. Saying no because of that reason wasnt really thoughtful IMO.

I got your point from the start but their are problems associated with it. We couldn't really make the search system based off prefixes because the way the search engine works is if you type in PhpBB3 you'd get phpbb2 as well and we can't modify the search engine.

The only way to eliminate that potential problem would be to have subforums of archives with each forum version which would add time in archiving and again a lot of issues aren't forum specific.

Secondly a lot of people don't know their forum version and would bypass an optional option. Its the same reason we don't have preset form for people to fill in, they'd bypass it, we've seen it done countless times in the graphics section.

Third staff don't actually edit the first topic all that often because we don't need too, I can change the topic icon from my first post but to change the topic title I would have to edit the first post and manually type it or if the option was still available to change it via dropdown list, select the appropriate drop down.

It would also be open human error as we'd have to check if the topic prefix was correct and check the persons forum to see they've selected the right one.

Lastly a lot of the coding done is often specific to that individual forum so even if others did find it they'd have to have some degree of coding knowledge to be able to edit it and make it work for their forum which might work but more often that not they'd have to open up a new topic anyway.

On a side note, us staff already spend a lot of time archiving topics and I think adding to our work load by checking topic prefixes and adding or editing them when missing or incorrect would take more time and I think considering the debatable benefit of it, I don't think it would be worth adding it.

We also don't like adding too many scripts to the support forum.


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

avatar
Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8567
Reputation : 607
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Rhino.Freak on January 8th 2015, 8:09 am

Derri wrote:I got your point from the start but their are problems associated with it. We couldn't really make the search system based off prefixes because the way the search engine works is if you type in PhpBB3 you'd get phpbb2 as well and we can't modify the search engine.

Well if Forumotion wishes to add a feature, they can. I don't understand your point there.
But like I said, MOST people will add the prefix, only a few people wont.
avatar
Rhino.Freak
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 1248
Reputation : 105
Language : English
Location : Mumbai, India

http://freetest.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Derri on January 8th 2015, 9:02 am

Rhino.Freak wrote:
Derri wrote:I got your point from the start but their are problems associated with it. We couldn't really make the search system based off prefixes because the way the search engine works is if you type in PhpBB3 you'd get phpbb2 as well and we can't modify the search engine.

Well if Forumotion wishes to add a feature, they can. I don't understand your point there.
But like I said, MOST people will add the prefix, only a few people wont.

Well its up to FM to update the search Engine but I don't understand how you fail to see my point of view in that instance because what I'm saying is we can't modify the search Engine and FM won't chose to modify the search Engine's behavior based on this suggestion so I think what I'm saying is perfectly valid.

Well I'm going off of multiple past experiences here when I say a number of people won't fill it out. Before we added a dedicated template for graphic requests when you hit 'new topic' it was often not filled out and it still is missed occasionally despite it being right on the screen. Furthermore often review requests are denied because people don't fill out the template as well as presentation proposals. Many people still don't post their forum link in appearance and design questions despite being instructed too by the topic instructions.

So while it would be used, I can still see many people ignoring it and like I said it would be of little use without some form of modifying the search engine which we can't do.


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

avatar
Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8567
Reputation : 607
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by SLGray on January 8th 2015, 9:46 am

Exactly now if someone adds a forum version hashtag in a topic then you can search by tags.

#punBB
#Invision
#phpBB2
#phpBB3


When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

avatar
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 40235
Reputation : 2720
Language : English
Location : United States

https://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Sort topics by forum version

Post by Count Dooku on January 8th 2015, 12:41 pm

Hi, SLGray!
cool, great input! Wink
avatar
Count Dooku
Forumember

Posts : 279
Reputation : 2
Language : English, French, some Arabic

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum