The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Everything Broke...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Solved Everything Broke...

Post by Willice on August 11th 2014, 2:17 am

So I was messing around in the admin panel of a forum I am an administrator on, I was attempting to change it from phpbb2 to phpbb3, it broke everything, so I changed it back to phpbb2 and tried to load up a restore in the admin panel to fix it, this is what the admin panel restore is saying it will look like:

And this is what it restored to:

I'm not sure what broke, but I even tried to reset to the original skin by installing the original hitskin skin again and it's still shows as the second image. I can't seem to fix it, it's making no logical sense, I've tried everything I know. So I guess I'm asking if there is a way to restore the skin from the forumotion server restore files? If that's possible? Or if maybe someone has an idea I haven't thought of?? Any help at all would be appreciated.

Edit*: This is the link to the forum incase it's needed. http://halcyon-minecraft.forumotion.com/forum

Last edited by Willice on August 11th 2014, 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding a forum link.)

Willice
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Everything Broke...

Post by Derri on August 11th 2014, 2:28 am

Do a full backup via the utilities http://www.forumotion.com/utils

Note: You'll loose any new members or posts made during that backup period

Its the only way to easily correct any damage done.

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8385
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by Willice on August 11th 2014, 2:46 am

Unfortunately I'm not the founder. just an administrator, the founder is unavailable right now :/

Willice
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on August 11th 2014, 2:57 am

@Willice wrote:Unfortunately I'm not the founder. just an administrator, the founder is unavailable right now :/

Hi,

I'll ask our Pro Admin if it is possible to do a back up of the theme to be restored. The only problem is the request could be denied since you are not the founder of the forum.

Edit: This only happened recently right?

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Willice on August 11th 2014, 3:31 am

This just happened today yes lol. Literally 30 minutes before I made this original post.

Edit*: Actually it appears the entire CSS stylesheet was wiped, is it possible that's causing the problem? I don't have a backup of the CSS stylesheet though if it's the problem. . .

Willice
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on August 11th 2014, 3:44 am

@Willice wrote:This just happened today yes lol. Literally 30 minutes before I made this original post.

Edit*: Actually it appears the entire CSS stylesheet was wiped, is it possible that's causing the problem? I don't have a backup of the CSS stylesheet though if it's the problem. . .

That'll be what is causing it.

If you've also had other stuff installed on the forum that isn't working it will be the likely cause. I'll put in a report to have your forum backed up. However what I said above still stands. By the way it does tell you when you're on the page of changing your forum version that it will delete any custom CSS installed.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Willice on August 11th 2014, 3:56 am

It wasn't custom CSS, lol. I assumed the base regular skin CSS would be replaced when I reinstalled the skin but it wasn't. But yeah all I need is the CSS and it should be fine then lol. There doesn't happen to be a .txt file backup anywhere for that in the forum admin panel is there?

Willice
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on August 11th 2014, 4:00 am

@Willice wrote:It wasn't custom CSS, lol. I assumed the base regular skin CSS would be replaced when I reinstalled the skin but it wasn't. But yeah all I need is the CSS and it should be fine then lol. There doesn't happen to be a .txt file backup anywhere for that in the forum admin panel is there?

Okay well I won't ask for a backup until we've went through a few more things.

To answer your question, No.

I take it you're trying to restore from the ACP under the option 'Restore Skin'?

If so that doesn't restore the CSS. A backup will but not that, if you read the question mark that says it will restore images and colours, not the custom CSS that would be installed when you install the theme from hitskin.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Willice on August 11th 2014, 4:03 am

Well, I tried to reinstall the skin from hitskin, and it installed, but the CSS isn't back. The only Custom CSS that the forum had was from the hitskin skin, but for some reason the CSS wont come back :/

Willice
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on August 11th 2014, 4:08 am

@Willice wrote:Well, I tried to reinstall the skin from hitskin, and it installed, but the CSS isn't back. The only Custom CSS that the forum had was from the hitskin skin, but for some reason the CSS wont come back :/

Well you can't have done it via Hitskin because you would have gotten the error message: Only the founder has the right to install styles by this way.

You've done one of two things: You've changed the forum version which has deleted the personalized CSS that would be installed when you install a theme via Hitskin or you've used the 'Restore Skin' option.

I think its the first one as the symptoms of your forum match that. Because you can't have done this via Hitskin as in the actual hitskin website: http://en.hitskin.com/

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Willice on August 11th 2014, 4:16 am

Would having the founder restore the skin via hitskin fix the problem? -He is available now-

Willice
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on August 11th 2014, 4:19 am

@Willice wrote:Would having the founder restore the skin via hitskin fix the problem? -He is available now-

If he knows the theme on Hitskin then yes he could.

Otherwise tell him to log into here: http://www.forumotion.com/utils and do a backup.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Willice on August 11th 2014, 4:21 am

So turns out. . . the skin was fixed since the first time I did a normal restore via the admin panel, my browser glitched out. . . don't I feel awkward and stupid now. . . lol.

Willice
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on August 11th 2014, 4:24 am

I think we'll just sweep this under the carpet then loulloulloulloul

Topic Archived.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum