The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.



Create a free forum like this one.

problem registering a user

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In progress problem registering a user

Post by BazzaJP on August 14th 2014, 2:53 pm

I have just started up a new forum at the address http://chasevalleydowns.africamotion.net and one of our prospective members has been having a problem registering an email address with the suffix @nasd.co.za

Is there any specific setting I need to adjust under the administration panel options to allow them to register or does forumotion have some kind of strict email address list such as only allowing us to use @hotmail.com or @gmail.com ? I have looked everywhere for a setting and can't find one!

If there are restrictions such as this then I will probably have to delete my forum as this will cause endless problems with our users trying to register. Confused

BazzaJP
New Member

Male Posts : 6
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

http://chasevalleydowns.africamotion.net

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by Derri on August 14th 2014, 2:56 pm

What error message does this person get?


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public


Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Reputation : 571
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 14th 2014, 2:59 pm

@BazzaJP wrote:I have just started up a new forum at the address http://chasevalleydowns.africamotion.net and one of our prospective members has been having a problem registering an email address with the suffix @nasd.co.za

Is there any specific setting I need to adjust under the administration panel options to allow them to register or does forumotion have some kind of strict email address list such as only allowing us to use @hotmail.com or @gmail.com ? I have looked everywhere for a setting and can't find one!

If there are restrictions such as this then I will probably have to delete my forum as this will cause endless problems with our users trying to register. Confused
Hello,

The e-mail address needs to be valid/correct.

To check you have a e-mail confirmation use the steps below:

ACP -> Users & Groups -> Users options -> Select 'new accounts activation' -> user or if you wouldn't like e-mail confirmation select 'Admin'

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203
Reputation : 8
Language : English
Location : England

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by BazzaJP on August 14th 2014, 3:04 pm

The message that comes back is: "Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid."


I have tried to register it myself and it comes back with the same message. I know the email address is valid as I email him daily on it and it works. This is his company email address that he's using.



I have followed the step you suggested AngelaHolmes: ACP -> Users & Groups -> Users options -> Select 'new accounts activation' -> user or if you wouldn't like e-mail confirmation select 'Admin'


It makes no difference Sad

BazzaJP
New Member

Male Posts : 6
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

http://chasevalleydowns.africamotion.net

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 14th 2014, 3:05 pm

@BazzaJP wrote:The message that comes back is: "Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid."


I have tried to register it myself and it comes back with the same message. I know the email address is valid as I email him daily on it and it works. This is his company email address that he's using.



I have followed the step you suggested AngelaHolmes: ACP -> Users & Groups -> Users options -> Select 'new accounts activation' -> user or if you wouldn't like e-mail confirmation select 'Admin'


It makes no difference Sad
It should work because it turn it into a "Administrator Activation"

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203
Reputation : 8
Language : English
Location : England

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by BazzaJP on August 14th 2014, 3:11 pm

@AngelaHolmes wrote:
@BazzaJP wrote:The message that comes back is: "Sorry, but this e-mail address is invalid."


I have tried to register it myself and it comes back with the same message. I know the email address is valid as I email him daily on it and it works. This is his company email address that he's using.



I have followed the step you suggested AngelaHolmes: ACP -> Users & Groups -> Users options -> Select 'new accounts activation' -> user or if you wouldn't like e-mail confirmation select 'Admin'


It makes no difference Sad
It should work because it turn it into a "Administrator Activation"

I have had it set to Admin activation the whole time for forum security reasons. I will try it with User activation and see if any difference.

BazzaJP
New Member

Male Posts : 6
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

http://chasevalleydowns.africamotion.net

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by BazzaJP on August 14th 2014, 3:13 pm

I tried user activation and it made zero difference. Still comes back with the "email address is invalid"

BazzaJP
New Member

Male Posts : 6
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

http://chasevalleydowns.africamotion.net

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 14th 2014, 3:17 pm

@BazzaJP wrote:I tried user activation and it made zero difference. Still comes back with the "email address is invalid"

Now I understand your problem. Okay I'll try registering and take a look Smile

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203
Reputation : 8
Language : English
Location : England

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by Derri on August 14th 2014, 3:21 pm

Hi,

This is likely due to our Forumotion spam filters that filter out blacklisted email addresses that can be common with spam. Its generally unusual emails address that are easily caught up in the spam filter.

I'll pass this onto our pro who might be able to remove it.


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public


Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Reputation : 571
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 14th 2014, 3:23 pm

@Derri wrote:Hi,

This is likely due to our Forumotion spam filters that filter out blacklisted email addresses that can be common with spam. Its generally unusual emails address that are easily caught up in the spam filter.

I'll pass this onto our pro who might be able to remove it.

It's defiantly not the spam filters Derri, it even denies my email address and mine is by @icloud

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203
Reputation : 8
Language : English
Location : England

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by Derri on August 14th 2014, 3:24 pm

@AngelaHolmes wrote:
@Derri wrote:Hi,

This is likely due to our Forumotion spam filters that filter out blacklisted email addresses that can be common with spam. Its generally unusual emails address that are easily caught up in the spam filter.

I'll pass this onto our pro who might be able to remove it.

It's defiantly not the spam filters Derri, it even denies my email address and mine is by @icloud

It can be forum specific sometimes.


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public


Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Reputation : 571
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 14th 2014, 3:29 pm

@Derri wrote:
@AngelaHolmes wrote:
@Derri wrote:Hi,

This is likely due to our Forumotion spam filters that filter out blacklisted email addresses that can be common with spam. Its generally unusual emails address that are easily caught up in the spam filter.

I'll pass this onto our pro who might be able to remove it.

It's defiantly not the spam filters Derri, it even denies my email address and mine is by @icloud

It can be forum specific sometimes.

I see let's hope ButterCup can help Smile

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203
Reputation : 8
Language : English
Location : England

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by BazzaJP on August 14th 2014, 3:54 pm

I tried registering with a different prefix like : testing@nasd.co.za and it worked.

a prefix such as info@ does not seem to work.

Very strange!

BazzaJP
New Member

Male Posts : 6
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

http://chasevalleydowns.africamotion.net

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 14th 2014, 3:56 pm

@BazzaJP wrote:I tried registering with a different prefix like : testing@nasd.co.za and it worked.

a prefix such as info@ does not seem to work.

Very strange!

Very strange indeed thanks for the update this issue has been reported to the pro-admin so let's see what happens. Maybe the technicians can help! Smile

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203
Reputation : 8
Language : English
Location : England

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by APE on August 14th 2014, 8:33 pm

The @info part will not work no matter what our system blocked anything that looks like a fake Email address even if it is real.

the way around this is easy add a hotmail, Gmail, and yahoo Email account then change it over when the account is made.





APE
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 8333
Reputation : 718
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha
Location : STUCK IN FORUMOTIONS SERVERS HELP ME !!!!!!

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 14th 2014, 8:39 pm

@APE wrote:The @info part will not work no matter what our system blocked anything that looks like a fake Email address even if it is real.

the way around this is easy add a hotmail, Gmail, and yahoo Email account then change it over when the account is made.

I used icloud and that's is a email provider by apple inc.
So it may be a filter.

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203
Reputation : 8
Language : English
Location : England

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by APE on August 14th 2014, 8:45 pm

It is a filter in the main system that keeps the short Email addresses out.
There is no way to stop this from going on unless all removed from our server security software.





APE
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 8333
Reputation : 718
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha
Location : STUCK IN FORUMOTIONS SERVERS HELP ME !!!!!!

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by AngelaHolmes on August 14th 2014, 8:47 pm

@APE wrote:It is a filter in the main system that keeps the short Email addresses out.
There is no way to stop this from going on unless all removed from our server security software.

I understand. Obviously I couldn't suggest that because i don't know that so thanks very much APE

AngelaHolmes
Forumember

Male Posts : 203
Reputation : 8
Language : English
Location : England

http://Help.Forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by BazzaJP on August 15th 2014, 12:05 pm

Thanks for looking into it.

By the way it isn't a @info.co.za email address. It's info@nasd.co.za . So what you're saying is that it just doesn't like the word "INFO" ?

I tried it with the address testing@nasd.co.za and it worked perfectly ok.

Anyway, I will just ask them to use another email address and then change it in their profile settings once registered and activated.

Cheers for the help!

BazzaJP
New Member

Male Posts : 6
Reputation : 1
Language : English
Location : Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa

http://chasevalleydowns.africamotion.net

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: problem registering a user

Post by Derri on August 15th 2014, 12:14 pm

@BazzaJP wrote:Thanks for looking into it.

By the way it isn't a @info.co.za email address. It's info@nasd.co.za . So what you're saying is that it just doesn't like the word "INFO" ?

I tried it with the address testing@nasd.co.za and it worked perfectly ok.

Anyway, I will just ask them to use another email address and then change it in their profile settings once registered and activated.

Cheers for the help!

Hi,

I believe specific addresses are blocked as APE said.

Things like Contact@ Admin@, and info.

I thought it could be this but I wasn't sure if the suffix was the cause as it was an unusual option.


Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public


Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8355
Reputation : 571
Language : English & Basic French
Location : Scotland, United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum