The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Creating permissions and hierarchies for all posts.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Being able to set up permissions to bbcode tags.

100% 100% 
[ 4 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

Creating permissions and hierarchies for all posts.

Post by MarcoNecroX on September 27th 2014, 7:55 pm

I don't know why this isn't implemented yet.

I'll start mentioning the solution: there should be permissions based on usergroups (including guest-members as group option) on what they can and cannot post. This includes mainly, bbcode tags. We should be able to set up which tags can be used by which members. Additionally, we should be able to set up admin-only HTML mode. And admin/moderator posts shouldn't be censored by the forum filter, that makes no sense.

Currently, all posts are treated the same except for the signature. I don't know why the staff in this official support forum is still dealing with messy table tags to add css styling to their posts when you could just allow admins to use HTML. The problem is that right now anyone can use CSS styling using tables, this pretty much defeats the logic of, for example, resized images on posts. Right now, this forum scales images to 400px width, but I could just use a table background and post something bigger:

This is just a basic example. There are a lot more things that you could do with basic CSS knowledge. Other breaking tags are for example the flash tag. People can repeatedly post .swf files and make the loading of posts incredibly slow, add instant music to it, etc. This is the reason why it should be possible to set which usergroups have access to which tags. Another benefit of such feature would be for example, disabling fresh users from posting links (to deal with bots) or images, you could disable certain people from using big text sizes, etc.

Enabling admin-only HTML would add options such as the use of javascript, custom CSS classes, and many more cool features. Plus a much more cleaner code. Speaking of which, I don't know why there is this awkward filter both on bbcode & HTML, such as replacing color codes like #FF0000 with rgb(255,0,0) or removal of unused tags like empty <i></i>, etc. I think that's fine in bbcode but it's wrong in HTML because it breaks your formatting when previewing. And while doing this, it re-orders all your tags in a weird unconventional way that is different than the standard tab-based programming format.

I know that this is a free forum service, and features sometimes tend to be very basic. But as a long time user (and customer) of this service, my forum is growing big and I feel restricted by my possibilities. It wouldn't feel good for me to have to migrate to an open site host, since I appreciate this company. It feels frustrating that some very basic features that have been suggested many years ago still haven't been adressed. I would rather have new features implemented that require to be paid (such as website domain), than nothing. I hope you do something about this.

Thank  you.

MarcoNecroX
Forumember

Language : English

http://www.medianxl.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Creating permissions and hierarchies for all posts.

Post by SLGray on September 27th 2014, 8:02 pm

I have not been on any forum that has these options.  I also created other forums before Forumotion, and they did not have these options.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35608

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on September 27th 2014, 8:15 pm

<edit: what the hell is happening with these forums?>

Last edited by MarcoNecroX on September 28th 2014, 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

MarcoNecroX
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on September 27th 2014, 8:17 pm

That is a poor argument not to implement this. If everyone used that logic, there would be basically no progress.

And I assume that by "other forums" you mean other free forums. You can hire a site host and have total freedom on a forum. What I'm asking isn't hard to implement. I know that this would usually cost money, but so does forumotion if you want your own domain, disabling copyrights, ads, etc. I know the price is rather cheap but I think not being able to have access to my forums database is already a more than fair downside. The internet is evolving and we're getting left behind. I think forumotion should not only see the benefits they give to their users, but also see that more options make them grow as a company as well, have more users, more income, etc.

MarcoNecroX
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoNecroX on September 27th 2014, 8:26 pm

Well, as I mentioned in my first post, I'd rather have paid features than no features. While I don't think this feature I posted would fit well as a paid one, I know of a lot of features that could be purchasable and that I would be the first one to pay for them.

MarcoNecroX
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on November 1st 2015, 9:53 pm

Bumping to move this suggestion to the first page.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 35608

http://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum