The forum of the forums
Welcome to the Official Support Forum of Forumotion!

To take full advantage of everything offered by our forum, please log in if you are already a member, or join our community if you've not yet.

Create a free forum like this one.

Emergency FM Support Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you agree or disagree ?

50% 50% 
[ 3 ]
50% 50% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 6

Emergency FM Support Forum

Post by Guest on December 20th 2014, 9:34 pm

Hi!

We've seen some (global) FM outages this year, some of them unannounced like the one today. In these cases official FM support forums are hard to reach and sometimes even unreachable.

Since FM support forums are on FM servers and their network, wouldn't it be advisable to have an Emergency FM Support website on a non-FM server somewhere, so we can see status updates on the outage and maybe open a ticket about an outage? This way we can still stay in touch with FM staff on that instead of being left in the dark.

Samantha.

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency FM Support Forum

Post by SLGray on December 20th 2014, 9:38 pm

You can updates on FM social networks: Facebook, Twitter, etc.

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 40909
Language : English

https://fmthemes.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 20th 2014, 9:42 pm

I don't use social media.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ultron's Vision on December 20th 2014, 9:59 pm

@SLGray wrote:You can updates on FM social networks: Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but during today's downtime there we no notifications on facebook, twitter or YouTube.
Ultron's Vision
Forumember

Male Posts : 634
Language : English | German | HTML | JavaScript | PHP | C++ | Perl | Java

http://duelacademy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on December 20th 2014, 10:19 pm

@Ultron's Vision wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but during today's downtime there we no notifications on facebook, twitter or YouTube.
Do you see anyone who have posted about this on the social networks? I mean a member not a FM employee.

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 20th 2014, 10:23 pm

@SLGray wrote:
@Ultron's Vision wrote:

Do you see anyone who have posted about this on the social networks? I mean a member not a FM employee.

Not everyone's using social media, not every admin is on all the time not to mention the timezones they're in and maybe some of us are not aware of the existence of other FM channels through which FM communicates on that. Or perhaps they couldn't find it because of the outage and couldn't reach FM therefor using the links. Anyway, I don't see any updates the media I can freely access on that either like Ultron's Vision said, I'm afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on December 20th 2014, 11:59 pm

@SLGray wrote:
@Ultron's Vision wrote:

While members can post to the FM page, its sometimes not visible with the way Facebook and Twitter is designed as the way Facebook is designed the most prominent posts are that of the page owner e.g. FMs posts will show up more clearly whereas you have to scroll down to see members posts and its only in a small widget on the left hand side and is easy to not see.

Unexpected downtime is usually dealt with fairly quickly and I think I can only recall once in the last year when it was down for multiple hours unexpectedly.

The main issue is our Pro Admins across all FM platforms aren't really in office on those days and therefore communications between Pro and Volunteer staff are all but non existent. Its only the Techs and other key staff that are in office and from what I know they don't access social media.

Generally speaking when we do have slowdowns or other issues this forum is available and only when the entire network goes down this forum is not available and even then that doesn't happen too often or for too long.

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues
You need one post to send a PM
When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved
Never post your email in public

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 8623
Language : English & Basic French

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g on December 21st 2014, 2:15 am

@Ultron's Vision wrote:

There was down time today? How I was on my forum all day! *scratches head confused*
brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Male Posts : 6057

http://broadcastingduo.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by _Twisted_Mods_ on December 21st 2014, 3:12 am

most the time the issues only last a short time and a resolved that day .. so i see no need for it .. i mean if you cant go a couple hours without your forum you should probably seek counseling for a internet addiction not support to get your forum back right away ... but that's my opinion
_Twisted_Mods_
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 2064

http://liquidcode.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g on December 21st 2014, 3:24 am

@_Twisted_Mods_ wrote:most the time the issues only last a short time and a resolved that day .. so i see no need for it .. i mean if you cant go a couple hours without your forum you should probably seek counseling for a internet addiction not support to get your forum back right away ... but that's my opinion

So true.. and as I have said i was on my FORUM ALL DAY! making minor changes that took hours because of my slow internet connection, and I didnt notice a difference! But still what is the possibiltly that the entire network could go down on a weekend when forumotion's offices are closed?
brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange Tuteur on December 21st 2014, 3:51 am

@brandon_g,

Slowdowns and downtime can affect a handful of forums, it all comes down to what server that forum is hosted on and some other factors. You may have not experienced any problems, however, other users have. In fact, I encountered a slowdown a few hours ago, and got stuck looking at a font awesome spinner for some odd reason.

As for the OP, I think a page with the server status and uptime would be a good thing to have, not a forum. That way you could see if there are currently any problems, or it's just your connection.
Ange Tuteur
Forumaster

Male Posts : 13176
Language : EN10, FR5

http://fmdesign.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 21st 2014, 6:08 am

@Ange Tuteur wrote:@brandon_g,

Slowdowns and downtime can affect a handful of forums, it all comes down to what server that forum is hosted on and some other factors. You may have not experienced any problems, however, other users have. In fact, I encountered a slowdown a few hours ago, and got stuck looking at a font awesome spinner for some odd reason.

As for the OP, I think a page with the server status and uptime would be a good thing to have, not a forum. That way you could see if there are currently any problems, or it's just your connection.

So true, @Ange Tuteur. Look, the way I see this, it's all about communication. When an outage of some sort happens and we're caught up right in the middle of that story we can only conclude afterwards if it was for a short period or not. Yet, we didn't measure impact yet, still many users can suffer from that, like I did tonight, @_Twisted_Mods_. To explain a bit about last night's situation (because of time zones), in fact I planned to work on my board together with a friend and we even had our kids sleep at granddad's. This has got nothing to do with internet addiction! But since we couldn't reach the support forums as well and didn't know what was going on, we sat there trying for at least an hour before we gave up. To me that was very precious time and if I knew what was going on and someone could have told me someone was working on it with a probable time prognosis of 100% functioning again, I could spend my time on something else instead. Now I don't blame anyone or anything. I merely suggested another communications channel. It's a good thing we somewhat debate on this. I can tell from what peeps said in this topic, some things might need some adjustments to work better. Thanks for understanding and Happy Holidays.

Last edited by SamanthaS on December 22nd 2014, 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramdaman on December 21st 2014, 3:49 pm

Something like this would be good for FM: http://xpaw.ru/mcstatus/ #minecraft #heartbeat

Also guys, FYI, you can't tag Ange Tuteur in a post, you're tagging another user named Ange.

Last edited by Ramdaman on December 21st 2014, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramdaman
Active Poster

Male Posts : 1614
Language : English, Albanian, Macedonian, Russian | HTML, CSS

http://ndihme.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post by _Twisted_Mods_ on December 21st 2014, 6:20 pm

you as anyone who cant go a couple hours without there forum. not you as in @SamanthaS
_Twisted_Mods_
Helper
Helper

Male Posts : 2064

http://liquidcode.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray on December 21st 2014, 6:44 pm

To tag Ange Tuteur, you have to do this:
Code:
@"Ange Tuteur"

SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange Tuteur on December 22nd 2014, 12:26 am

@Ramdaman, something like that would be great.

Off the topic, but yeah you can quote my name, or do this :
Code:
{@=88576}Ange{/@}

Otherwise, that fallen Ange might become unhappy. Razz
Ange Tuteur
Forumaster

Male Posts : 13176
Language : EN10, FR5

http://fmdesign.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 22nd 2014, 1:33 am

@_Twisted_Mods_ wrote:you as anyone who cant go a couple hours without there forum. not you as in @SamanthaS

OK, accepted. Edited my prior post on that, @_Twisted_Mods . I'm sorry I tagged another Ange as well, I wasn't aware of that.

Now, let's stay on topic again, guys! Smile

So, the way to go is probably to have a website hosted somewhere, not a single server, where tech people can have a link to their monitoring tools to keep us updated live and automatically on downtime (world map?) and maybe a sort of inline tool to communicate about 1st priority cases, right? Perhaps a SMS system so they can send messages from where ever they have maintenance to keep us posted? What costs will be involved? Like 20 - 30 bucks a month?

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g on December 22nd 2014, 2:58 pm

Well I think the only this is ever going happen is if a forumotion user comes forward and pays/runs this new forum, that is just what I think. But it is definitely a great idea, and I am all for it!

Happy Holidays all! santa
brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackScorpion on December 22nd 2014, 6:25 pm

@Ramdaman wrote:Something like this would be good for FM: http://xpaw.ru/mcstatus/ #minecraft #heartbeat

Also guys, FYI, you can't tag Ange Tuteur in a post, you're tagging another user named Ange.

That would make sense, only if it was updated to the minute. You don't need to go there and find the servers online, when technically they are down.
BlackScorpion
Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer

Male Posts : 5346

http://help.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 23rd 2014, 10:26 am

@BlackScorpion wrote:
@Ramdaman wrote:Something like this would be good for FM: http://xpaw.ru/mcstatus/ #minecraft #heartbeat

That would make sense, only if it was updated to the minute. You don't need to go there and find the servers online, when technically they are down.
Well, I did loads of reading on this the last days. Very interesting topic indeed. There are plenty of free tools available, but very expensive ones as well, like System Center Operations Manager by Microsoft's solution and their LiveMaps module. Still, if someone could afford such a tool and license (and I could), this would still mean total cooperation with FM as well, and I'm not convinced they would, unfortunately. Furthermore, what would be my gain, except knowing what's going on in the FM network, supporting the FM community and paying that bill? AND it would mean to buy and support a website aside from the FM network and all. Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on December 23rd 2014, 5:24 pm

While obviously we do indevour to keep members up to date as and when things happen because we do have times when we cannot be in direct contact with our Pro Admin e.g. After office hours and during holidays, we cannot always have instant updates.

Now I know @SamanthaS suggested we have something like what many other sites use which is an external page hosted outwith the main service which can give some kind of update to the people and while this is a viable option, it could not be managed by any one member and would have to be bought or looked into by FM.

We do try to keep everyone updated but only Buttercup and The Godfather work for FM so sometimes even us staff are left in the dark until either a technician lets us know what's going on or we hear from other supports.

Its not often we go down unexpectedly and usually it doesn't last long so a page like what was suggested might go to waste a lot.

Lastly a lot of the downtime we've had is due to moving data center and some issues with that but they've been resolved, it doesn't mean FM will never go down again for whatever reason but FM are trying and its not likely we'll have unexpected downtime and when we do have downtime generally speaking everyone is notified well in advanced and generally our social medias are updated.

Forum Rules: :Forumotion Staff: :Appeal A Warning: :FAQ: :Tips & Tricks: :Forgotten Password/Login Issues

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g on December 25th 2014, 12:12 am

Anybody still think this is not necessary after tonight's events?

Remember to mark your topic when a solution is found.
brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on December 25th 2014, 12:20 am

@brandon_g wrote:Anybody still think this is not necessary after tonight's events?

It wouldn't matter though because people could still get onto various forums and therefore giving any kind of status would be inaccurate because its not affecting everyone. I was able to get onto the support within the last few hours when the downtime was happening.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g on December 25th 2014, 12:26 am

But this problem is getting worse and worse, mine like hundred other sites went down tonight. This problem is going to keep getting worse unless forumotion acts soon to fix it!

Remember to mark your topic when a solution is found.
brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Derri on December 25th 2014, 12:49 am

I do agree that these downtimes are unfortunate and that some kind of method of communication to have better updates would be good.

Derri
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 25th 2014, 1:17 am

@brandon_g wrote:But this problem is getting worse and worse, mine like hundred other sites went down tonight. This problem is going to keep getting worse unless forumotion acts soon to fix it!

The downside to downtime is if we can't update our members, some of 'm will walk away from our sites. So, all in all, I don't see any objection having a tool of some sort to keep us updated on any downtime. After all, members don't care what's behind the scenes on a website. They don't know FM and they shouldn't be bothered with that. They want a fully functional one and lot's of happiness and fun. And I understand, sometimes systems are undergoing maintenance and surely some downtime will be accepted, but lately I can't keep members happy not being able to tell them anything. Even more, to some of them it seems like it's a weekly repeating tradition having downtime.

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g on December 25th 2014, 1:31 am

SamanthaS wrote:
@brandon_g wrote:But this problem is getting worse and worse, mine like hundred other sites went down tonight. This problem is going to keep getting worse unless forumotion acts soon to fix it!

The downside to downtime is if we can't update our members, some of 'm will walk away from our sites. So, all in all, I don't see any objection having a tool of some sort to keep us updated on any downtime. After all, members don't care what's behind the scenes on a website. They don't know FM and they shouldn't be bothered with that. They want a fully functional one and lot's of happiness and fun. And I understand, sometimes systems are undergoing maintenance and surely some downtime will be accepted, but lately I can't keep members happy not being able to tell them anything. Even more, to some of them it seems like it's a weekly repeating tradition having downtime.

I agree 100% as i mentioned my other topic, my members consider ME the top dog, if something serious happens they look to me for answers. I am in a really cricital spot with my forum. I am trying to get re-active, and ANY downtime for a couple of days or even like 4 hours could be dangerous for my forum at this point. It does not look bad on forumotion when something goes wrong, it looks bad on US. Which is not fair 1 one bit... the only communication I have is a Pitiful Fb Page. We need this issue fixed, we need better communication, and most importantly... WHATEVER server forumotion USED to use they need switch back too. This new one is not cutting it.

I wish all the volunteers a happy holidays, I do blame any of you guys. I do NOT wish the forumotion admins a happy holiday! And I do in fact think they are worthy of a vacation.

GET US EXPLANATIONS ADMINS! AND FIX THE PROBLEM

Sincerly - Brandon
brandon_g
Support Moderator
Support Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Dooku on January 7th 2015, 3:36 pm

Hi, won't vote, as many times aside from social media, FM warns us from our ACP's.
So you can always see when "planned downtimes" will take place.

I simply see this this way, I want my forum to be always accessible, but nothing is 100% fullproof, so we must allow some minor glitches, and while it happens (in cases of heavy storms, stop and take a bowl of hot chocolate or something)
Count Dooku
Forumember

Language : English, French, some Arabic

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyorAlice on August 15th 2017, 1:13 am

@_Twisted_Mods_ wrote:most the time the issues only last a short time and a resolved that day .. so i see no need for it .. i mean if you cant go a couple hours without your forum you should probably seek counseling for a internet addiction not support to get your forum back right away ... but that's my opinion

I kind of agree with this. It's very rare to experience downtime and even if there is downtime then it usually doesn't last a long time before it's fixed. If you can't go without being on a forum for a few minutes, then there is a problem. Plus, everyone would be posting on the emergency support forum and the staff would be responding to that instead of getting to fix the problem. I'm fine with receiving updates via social media.
JennyorAlice
Forumember

Female Posts : 884
Language : U. S. English

http://grandcentralstation.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by APE on August 15th 2017, 2:00 am

FM has been working hard to keep downtime to a minimum and have done a great job on this matter.

Please note even if we had a site where staff could see the problems if this forum and any other support forum is down we can't report it until it's up and running again.

As already said we do use Facebook and other systems to keep you updated and staff will post there like i have done in the past.

You don't need to be a member to see our threads made on facebook and if you do ahve an account you can always ask for help there on the downtimes and some one from here or the other support forums will report back when they have time or more news on the problem at hand.

Please also note that staff here have lives outside of the site and can not be at hand 24 / 7 but we do our best.

staff here Don't have tools to talk to the tech members of staff in France we get all the data when it comes live to us from someone who is free at the time.

some times we don't get told until the next day or even after the weekend.

We do our best to help and tell you what we know at the time. but sadly it not always that easy SORRY.

APE
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 11063
Language : fluent in dork / mumbojumbo & English haha

http://chatworld.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum