The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15

3 posters

Go down

Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15 Empty Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15

Post by SophieDophs 12/7/2015, 14:09

As per Buttercup's PM yesterday, I am raising this topic. Here is the issue I have faced with my forum's permissions.

SophieDophs wrote:
SophieDophs on Sun 05 Jul 2015, 7:15 pm wrote:As of today, the current maintenance issue on my forum is that my Usergroup forum permissions keep changing!

Following notification from my members about their access issues, I have checked those usergroup permissions and see that they have indeed been mysteriously changed so that those usergroups no longer have access to certain parts of my forum.  This is most upsetting for my members.

I have many sub forums and it would take an age for me to go through and correct all the usergroup permissions.

I have also had the following report today from a member:

... something is seriously mixed up in this forum. When I go to the "latest topics" it rolls back to May and further. And in the Challenges section is only on topic.

The accessibility changes every time I get in.

Would this have to do with the maintenance work of this week?

http://slimmingworldclub.niceboard.org/

I sincerely hope this problem will soon be resolved.

I have been painstakingly working my way through my forum's permissions to reinstate my original settings. 

I haven't yet finished (I have lots of sub forums!) but I sincerely hope that there will be no more mysterious changes to these and any other settings.

(I initially posted the above in the forum maintenance troubleshooting thread.)

Prompted by complaints from my members that they could no longer access parts of my forum, I checked my permissions on 5 July and found that some usergroups suddenly had their permissions wiped out - yet they were happily posting in those very same forums on Wednesday July 1st.

Other usergroups (e.g. new members) were able to create stickies and announcements, when, quite obviously, they shouldn't have had those permissions and indeed, had never been granted them.

I have spent some considerable time reinstating some of the permissions (although I still have a many more sections of the forum to correct) and having checked them again today, they appear to be stable.

In summary, the way the permissions have been affected is this:

1) I can confirm that members have not been granted access to areas of the forum that they shouldn't (eg. the very private areas of my forum such as staff room etc) however, the permissions have been affected in other ways.

2) A whole usergroup (i.e. established members) had their permissions suddenly wiped out, which means they'd been unable to access whole areas of the forum.

3) Conversely, for those whose permissions remained, they had incorrectly been granted permission to create stickies and announcements (but not moderate).

4) I have now reinstated correct forum access to the member usergoups, although some of my sub forums still allow permission for stickies and announcements to usergroups that shouldn't have this. I haven't yet had time to correct this issue but will sort this out during next week.

5) The situation appears to have now stabilised, albeit with some incorrect permissions in place awaiting my attention.

I hope this all makes sense!

I would add that, prior to the recent forum maintenance, everything was fine and I had not touched the forum permissions for some considerable time and that they were correctly set and stable.

Thanks for your attention to this matter.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375
Language : English

Back to top Go down

Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15 Empty Re: Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15

Post by SLGray 12/7/2015, 18:45

Are you saying this happened again?

Like Buittercup said that you are the only one who posted about this issue so it seems that it is not related to the issues we had.

Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15 Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51463

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by SophieDophs 13/7/2015, 13:29

SLGray wrote:Are you saying this happened again?

Like Buittercup said that you are the only one who posted about this issue so it seems that it is not related to the issues we had.

Buttercup sent me a PM and asked me to set up this topic.
SophieDophs
SophieDophs
Forumember

Female Posts : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g 13/7/2015, 13:41

Is the problem still occuring?

Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15 Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15 Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Forum Permissions Issue 05/07/15 Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down