The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing URLs

4 posters

Go down

In progress Changing URLs

Post by EEYEN3 August 22nd 2015, 12:45 am

Website is xwauniverse.forumotion.com

We did have a URL of xwa-universe.com and we've let that lapse purposely. We would like to move to a new URL but there is no option to do so. The URL we want is not yet owned by anyone. What should be our next move? Can we get this resolved quickly?
EEYEN3
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: Changing URLs

Post by SLGray August 22nd 2015, 4:14 am

Have you tried to buy the one you want in the administration panel?

Changing URLs Slgray10

When your topic has been solved, ensure you mark the topic solved.
Never post your email in public.
SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Male Posts : 51464

https://forumsclub.com/gc/128-link-directory/

Back to top Go down

Post by EEYEN3 August 22nd 2015, 4:22 am

The only option available is "renewal" as far as I can tell.
EEYEN3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by EEYEN3 August 22nd 2015, 2:08 pm

OK so like I figured despite messaging our members and e-mailing them and having an announcement, a lot of them missed our URL switch because they're idiots. So we went ahead and renewed our old domain xwa-universe.com

Our plan is to buy a new URL out of pocket. Now, I have other questions about that. In six months if we want to delete our current URL and move to our new one, would that be something you guys could help us with? I was previously warned of the troubles that go along with that and I'm well aware.
EEYEN3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray August 22nd 2015, 8:21 pm

Do you mean that you purchased a domain name from somewhere else?

You can cancel your domain name that you have now at any time.

Changing URLs Slgray10

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by EEYEN3 August 23rd 2015, 12:38 am

Edited

OK thank you for that information. Now I have a further questions.

We want to buy a new URL. We don't like the current one as we no longer feel it is appropriate for our identity as a site. Unfortunately, we have a forum based on daily activity and long breaks in such are very harmful. Our members kind of ignore our warnings so about half of our users didn't follow us when our URL lapsed two days ago. That is why we're in the predicament we're in. We want a new URL but the process is challenging on multiple facets.

We plan to use two URLs for a short time (One with the site, one basically as a placeholder) until which time we can switch over. I am aware they both can't house the contents of the site... what I mean is that one URL will have the site and another URL will have a basic message saying where to find us. 

Now, my questions are... Let's assume I buy a second URL in addition to the one that Forumotion has registered for us. When I feel comfortable switching urls, how do I get that process to happen? Because there isn't anything in the ACP that seems relevant. Do I just come on this board and ask you guys to do it for me?

And second of all, I am curious if I can get the new URL under forumotion control. I was told in a previous thread that I can't have two domains for one site. I feel like maybe there was a misunderstanding there. Can Forumotion have a second domain for us that has nothing other than a message of where to find the actual forum? I know it's not an option but it seems simple enough on your end.
EEYEN3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray August 23rd 2015, 4:04 pm

Changing URLs Slgray10

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by EEYEN3 August 23rd 2015, 5:01 pm

Yeah, I know all that. We HAVE a domain right now... When our domain lapsed originally two days ago we wanted to move to a new domain. I still have yet to get an answer about how we do that. In our ACP it said "Our domain had been expired since 1 days" and gave us no options other than to renew the one we had.
EEYEN3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g August 23rd 2015, 5:14 pm

Hello,

You can change your url at any time in ACP-->General-->Forum Address--> Personalized domain name. Enter it and save.

Note: You have to be in the Founder account to do this.

Hope this helps,
-Brandon

Changing URLs Brando10
Remember to mark your topic Changing URLs Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

Changing URLs Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow August 24th 2015, 9:56 am

Hello

It seems you've renewed your current domain name xwa-universe.com

The domain name management is still in progress. I think renewing your current domain name is the best choice. Indeed, changing a domain name is never good for SEO and forum traffic (especially when you have a big forum like yours). It takes few weeks before search engines rank your forum properly... Moreover, you take the risk of losing members that don't know you've changed the forum url.

Then, if you decide to delete your domain name you've to send me a private message. But, as it is an offered domain name, please note you'll have to pay to get a new one.
Otherwise, you can buy an external domain name and use our Cname option on the admin panel Wink
Whatever your choice, I don't recommend to change the domain name and I am not telling you it because you've a Forumotion domain name.

Don't hesitate if you need more information Smile

Regards Smile
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 16217
Language : French, English

Back to top Go down

Post by EEYEN3 August 24th 2015, 10:50 pm

Thank you for that post buttercup and thank you all for the effort in trying to deal with my problem. I'm aware of the problems with changing URLs and I still think it's the best idea for us.

We have no problem paying for a new one. The only problem I have is ultimately I'd like control of both URLs (a new one and the current one) and I understand that might be a convoluted process and I understand forumotion doesn't have a mechanism to help me out in that regard. 

I assume my option to achieve this is to move URLs through PMing buttercup (have her "delete" the first one and buy a new one) and wait for the first one to clear through and try to re-register it ourselves. Because of it's unique name I find it hard to believe it'll be bought by someone else. Now, do I have that part of our exchange correct? Or do I have other options?

And about "deleting" our current URL. Can you explain to me how long that will take? Hypothetically Say I PM you on December 1st and tell you to delete our current domain on December 2nd as early as you can. Could we change domains in one day? Or would it take longer than that?
EEYEN3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by SLGray August 25th 2015, 5:34 am

Are you trying to have two domain names?  You can not have two domain names on one forum.

Changing URLs Slgray10

SLGray
SLGray
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow August 25th 2015, 9:46 am

Hello

SLGray is true. You cannot have two domain names on one forum. However, you can send me a private message with all necessary information (url of your forum, domain name, Whois information, and foundation email) to delete your current domain name. Deleting a domain name takes few minutes.
However, the deleted domain name won't be available to buy out of Forumotion for awhile. Indeed, once deleted we no longer have control on the domain name. I think you've to wait between 60 and 90 days before the domain name be public Smile

Anyway, if you decide to delete your current domain name, it takes only few times for us and you'll be able to buy a new domain name immediately (either via our service or by using a domain name).

Please note: if you delete your current domain name we can make a 301 redirection. Thus, all members tapping your old url will be redirected to the  new domain name as long as the old domain name is not public Smile. Like that you won't lose your traffic Smile

I hope you've enough information now Smile let us know Smile
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by EEYEN3 August 25th 2015, 5:07 pm

I'm not trying to have two domain names on one forum. I just want one for a redirect as Buttercup described for a short period of time. That is basically exactly what we want and exactly what we're going to do. I will work it out with my other admins about an official switch date and I will PM Buttercup in advance of that.

Just to be clear, when you say you can use a 301 redirect do you mean to our old .forumotion URL or to the new domain we purchase after? Hoping you mean the new domain.

Thank you both for your effort in dealing with me!
EEYEN3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow August 26th 2015, 9:23 am

Hello

Exactly, the 301 redirects your old domain name (which you removed) to both forumotion url (example forumname.forumotion.com) and new domain name.
Like that you won't lose your traffic Smile

Best regards
Shadow
Shadow
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down