The forum of the forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to create sortable/searchable/updateable database?

3 posters

Go down

In progress How to create sortable/searchable/updateable database?

Post by EEYEN3 September 27th 2015, 7:05 pm

URL is xwa-universe.com
PHPBB2

What I want to do:

Have a database with events we put in. Somehow the database can be updated by people like me without coding knowledge.

Have users submit information about the location and month they are looking for shows.

Brings up information/link from the database

So... I don't know anything about Javascript but I really want to be able to do stuff like this on my site. I asked my buddy who is into coding how hard it would be and he said it would be fairly difficult. I'm wondering whether or not someone from here would help me with this... and if not, how I would go about finding someone who is willing to do it.
EEYEN3
Forumember

Language : English

Back to top Go down

In progress Re: How to create sortable/searchable/updateable database?

Post by brandon_g September 27th 2015, 7:35 pm

Hello,

What kind of stuff are you thinking to put in it? Depending on that, will determine the complexity of its creation. Either way, I think use of Javascript is invietable for this sort of thing. Anynow @Ange Tuteur is probably your best bet for this sort of thing, he has already created one of sorts in the past Very Happy.

-Brandon

How to create sortable/searchable/updateable database? Brando10
Remember to mark your topic How to create sortable/searchable/updateable database? Solved15 when a solution is found.
General Rules | Tips & Tricks | FAQ | Forgot Founder Password?

How to create sortable/searchable/updateable database? Scre1476
Team Leader
Review Section Rules | Request A Review | Sticker Points
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Male Posts : 10106

https://www.broadcastingduo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EEYEN3 September 27th 2015, 7:38 pm

The content would be include names, dates, cost, and locations... unless I didn't understand you. The idea would be for users to search and find professional wrestling shows near them.

Last edited by EEYEN3 on September 27th 2015, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
EEYEN3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g September 27th 2015, 7:45 pm

Let me see if I understand correctly, so you want to create a database of sorts that you can edit with events and such that your members can search?

If so, you don't nessecarily have to have a database to accomplish this. If you created a section of the forum, created a new topic for each event, etc. You users could simply search for them using the forum search engine. May not be the same exact thing, but it its pretty similar and would require no coding at all. Smile

-Brandon

Remember to mark your topic How to create sortable/searchable/updateable database? Solved15 when a solution is found.

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by EEYEN3 September 27th 2015, 8:37 pm

Problem with that is there are hundreds and hundreds of events every week. I don't think creating new posts for every event is a sustainable endeavor.
EEYEN3
Forumember

Back to top Go down

Post by brandon_g September 27th 2015, 9:04 pm

Hmmm.. May have a point there. I wonder if there is a way you could find a website somewhere that has all the events there already, that mah offer an embedable search bar. Then you could just that search bar onto your site and your users could just then search through that also is far fetched though.

Maybe you could just post a link to an event directory like on a website or something? I understand if you don't nessecarily want to link to off site directory though. Best I could offer you though.

If you still want to try the whole database thing, then I would just wait for @Ange Tuteur to weigh in on this and tell us if it is possible and if so, how best it can be accomplished.

-Brandon

Team Leader
brandon_g
brandon_g
Manager
Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Ange Tuteur September 27th 2015, 9:36 pm

For a big site, I think the whole pseudo-database thing would be a bad idea. Anyway, it depends where you're pulling the data from. If it's on another site, why not just use an iframe to embed the page ?
Ange Tuteur
Ange Tuteur
Forumaster

Male Posts : 13246
Language : English & 日本語

https://fmdesign.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down